Author Topic: heaters  (Read 4086 times)

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: heaters
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I bought the 5lb on Amazon for $38 about 2 weeks ago. I don't think the guy at uhual had ever seen one before. It appeared that he was taking pictures of it before he filled it up.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:03 PM »

I wait til both 5 and 11lb tanks are empty and just let them charge me for a 20lb tank which at my hardware store is like $7-$8
$2 for a gallon of propane is a great deal! I wish I could find that near me.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:07 PM »

Local hardware store
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:10 PM »

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2020, 07:22 PM »
Home Depot app says both the 5 and 11 lb cylinders are under $45. The 11 is actually 28 cents cheaper

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Wow the price really did shoot up on that tank. Someone posted it in the ice fishing deals thread. Price was the same at Depot and Walmart at the time.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:24 AM »

Do you have a propane dealer near you? They're usually cheaper. Got my 5# filled for $3.75...about $1.30 a gallon.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Do you have a propane dealer near you? They're usually cheaper. Got my 5# filled for $3.75...about $1.30 a gallon.

I have a propane dealer near me as well but the hardware store is like a 4 minute walk and a 1/2 second car ride. Propane dealer for me is like 20 minutes away
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:27 AM »

I have a propane dealer near me as well but the hardware store is like a 4 minute walk and a 1/2 second car ride. Propane dealer for me is like 20 minutes away

Gotcha. Well, if you're ever heading in the direction of the dealer, grab your tank and top it off. Whatever you do, it's still cheaper and more convenient than those one pounders.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2020, 12:21 PM »
I have a 5 man hub which I use  a big buddy heater. I added a 1 man this year and was looking for suggestions on a heater which is smaller. there is a Mr Heater (15000 BTU) that hooks to a 1 lb or 20 pound tank ,you can also cook with it. Another  is the Buddy that holds 1lb tanks. Appreciate any suggestions.
Am using Flame King refillable 1lbers this year and could not be happier. Quick and easy to refill from your larger tanks. Although I like the larger tanks with hose option, I like this even better.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:59 PM »
Something else to think about while you are spending money. My portable Buddy works great but heat rises.  I also bought this light/fan combo to circulate the heat back down. Bought on Amazon.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:32 PM »
I will NOT go back to 1 pounders again. PIA.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Funny thing this icefishing, I am the only ice fisher in my family yet I have 5-6 options from open sled to 1 man Frabil Flip( Commando) an Eskimo 3 Qickfish and a 3i Quickfish. Open ice milder but cold or in the 1 man  I use my older 1500 btu Coleman Blackcat(?) and colder days in the Eskimo 3 and 3i I will use my Big Buddy which is normally on low or medium. It needs to be extremely cold for me to put the big buddy on Hi. Looking at a Reg Buddy heater lately just for mobility and the cutting of weight purposes.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:44 PM »
I will NOT go back to 1 pounders again. PIA.
I also will NOT go back to 1lbers, the green bombs. But the DOT approved Flame King refillable 1lbers are the CA. At our longitude it is practical. Further north like, let’s say, Michigan, I wouldn’t mess with them. Larger tanks only.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2020, 08:40 PM »
I'm old school, I use a quart paint can with the lid. I poke holes opposite of each other high up on the sides and took a stiff piece of stainless tie wire I had to make a carry handle. Then I take just enough toilet paper off a roll so it fits inside. Fill it with rubbing alcohol you buy a any store for $1.79 a quart and fill the container, letting it wick into the Tp and keep filling to the top. It will take about 1/2 of the quart when full, burns all day and you can put the lid on it to put it out. The toilet paper never burns, been using this for about 30 years now, I've had to replace the can once in a while because it rusted through and leaked. IDK what BTU it is but I've fished in a schappell 4000 2 man shelter in  0 weather in a sweatshirt., Be careful, most of  the flame is invisible.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:35 PM »
You might want to try working the roll out of the center of the t.p. When you do that carefully the roll should fit w/o spinning any off. It kind of folds in on itself. ;)

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2020, 04:15 AM »
You might want to try working the roll out of the center of the t.p. When you do that carefully the roll should fit w/o spinning any off. It kind of folds in on itself. ;)
Thanks for the tip, I bet the TP would wick it up faster too, right now I pour it down the center ad it takes a bit to wick it in and I just keep pouring it a little more.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I'm old school, I use a quart paint can with the lid. I poke holes opposite of each other high up on the sides and took a stiff piece of stainless tie wire I had to make a carry handle. Then I take just enough toilet paper off a roll so it fits inside. Fill it with rubbing alcohol you buy a any store for $1.79 a quart and fill the container, letting it wick into the Tp and keep filling to the top. It will take about 1/2 of the quart when full, burns all day and you can put the lid on it to put it out. The toilet paper never burns, been using this for about 30 years now, I've had to replace the can once in a while because it rusted through and leaked. IDK what BTU it is but I've fished in a schappell 4000 2 man shelter in  0 weather in a sweatshirt., Be careful, most of  the flame is invisible.

Love the ingenuity 👍😁👍

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:39 AM »
ive used the alcohol stove and it does work well! a little smelly but pretty efficient

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:20 AM »
I've bumped my buddy heater over a couple times, I'd hate to bump over a paint can full of burning alcohol! And there are guys that call the green bottles grenades...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.