Author Topic: Perch and crab meat?  (Read 7474 times)

JerkinJumboPerch

Perch and crab meat?
« on: Dec 04, 2002, 04:41 AM »
Has anyone tried crab meat fishing for perch? I was told now by more than a few fisherman it was very good

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Perch and crab meat?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2002, 06:01 AM »
I wonder if you could substitute with pollock? ::)

Eric

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2002, 06:26 AM »
in parts of wisconsin some people use what they call crab tails. it nothing more than the tail of a crawfish. if you crack the tail right you can just pull the flesh right out. cut the flesh into a few small chunks and hook it up. sometimes the task can get pretty messy and the flesh leaves a nice after smell on your fingers. the fish usually go crazy over these especially when they are in the hard bottom areas and feeding on crawfish. weve also cleaned fish with full crawfish in their bellies, so sometimes you can just use the whole tail without stripping the meat.

crappie_hunter

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2002, 04:24 AM »
i have used crawfish tails for perch and they work awsome some people also call these crabs

will

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2002, 05:29 AM »
this is interesing and i would like to try it but how do you get crayfish in the winter?

JerkinJumboPerch

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2002, 06:04 AM »
i bought some crab meat at the store, not the fake stuff and sunday we tried it. We left the lake 4 hours later with 22 perch between 3 of us. All the other guys i talked to the most they had was 13

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2002, 02:18 PM »
How large of a piece are you using?
myspace.com/tat2byjt

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2002, 07:47 AM »
just cut into a small pieces like a waxworm size

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2002, 11:10 AM »
whoa late in the year when bait gets scarce around here I get cocktail shrimp.
catches a lot of gills and crappie and misc. about $3 a small frozen bag.
no real perch around here though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2002, 11:13 AM »
interesting little net nanny device working here.  lets the tail through but not the rooster.
guess that's why I oppose all forms of censorship.  the bill of rights use it or lose it.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2002, 04:53 AM »
PerchBusterSD, :'(
Has anyone tried to use shrimp? The kind you would find in your fish market. Where I live I can not find caryfish tails this time of the year. So I am will to try about 2 dollars worth of fresh shrimp for bait.
Morroco Mole..
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Exudedude

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2002, 08:41 AM »
There are a few baitshops here in MN that sell freshwater shrimp.  I myself have never tried it.  Havn't felt the need to yet.  I do just fine with minnow heads, wax worms and eurolarvae.

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:02 AM »
have not tried shrimp yet but never count anything out ;D

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:36 PM »
I catch hundreds of crayfish in the summer and fall and "detail" them for use on lake michigan in the fall and early winter.  I also use them on various lakes for perch, crappies, gills and of course bass through the ice.  Sometimes when nothing else works crawdaddies will! 8)

Good Fishin'

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re:Perch and crab meat?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:15 AM »
I just use berklys Powerbait Maggots. 4 bucks a bag for like 50 or more or something like that. You can catch like 25 perch using just one  Maggot a bag go'es a long way works for me anyhwo just a thought.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.