The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anti bucket biology new regulations for 2023  (Read 5575 times)

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anti bucket biology new regulations for 2023
« on: Dec 09, 2022, 05:19 PM »
So posting this here cause I'm curious if anybody else has heard the same news.

Friend mine that works for FWP heard that they are really going to try to clamp down on illegal introductions of walleye and northern Pike in trout fishing lakes.

What he heard is that FWP is looking at making lakes that receive illegal introductions of walleye or northern Pike fly fishing only in order to discourage further illegal introductions.

Has anybody else heard this? They might as well outlaw lund boats.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anti bucket biology new regulations for 2023
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2022, 05:23 PM »
So posting this here cause I'm curious if anybody else has heard the same news.

Friend mine that works for FWP heard that they are really going to try to clamp down on illegal introductions of walleye and northern Pike in trout fishing lakes.

What he heard is that FWP is looking at making lakes that receive illegal introductions of walleye or northern Pike fly fishing only in order to discourage further illegal introductions.

Has anybody else heard this? They might as well outlaw lund boats.

Really, that's not very good, must be a push from trout unlimited on that.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Fly fishing only lakes would never happen considering there isn't ANY "fly fishing only" public waters in Montana

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2022, 05:45 PM »
Fly fishing only lakes would never happen considering there isn't ANY "fly fishing only" public waters in Montana

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean, we have fly-fishing bodies of water all through New England.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2022, 08:28 PM »
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean, we have fly-fishing bodies of water all through New England.
In Montana. Not New England

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2022, 08:41 PM »
In Montana. Not New England

Just because there's none there now doesn't mean it can't happen.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2022, 09:39 AM »
Northern on a fly rod is a blast.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:02 AM »
People would do it out of spite if they did.... :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline MTmatthew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2022, 09:55 PM »
I wonder how I would rig a minnow on that fly?

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2022, 10:14 AM »
I wonder how I would rig a minnow on that fly?
Slow death hook in a live trout minnow would work.
Dont ask

Offline MTmatthew

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2022, 09:25 PM »
I like it, "naked and afraid"!

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:40 PM »
There’s enough trout in the rivers to keep the money rolling in. Keep the trash fish there for the outfitters, put the walleye in the lakes.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:44 PM »
There’s enough trout in the rivers to keep the money rolling in. Keep the trash fish there for the outfitters, put the walleye in the lakes.

Lol, they don't want them in the lakes either.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Probably one random dude mentioned it and someone overheard it and told someone else and then it ended up on ice shanty....  I'd worry more about them changing hunting regs so some rich landowner and his buddies can hunt his land without drawing tags like the rest of us.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2022, 02:14 PM »
Fly fishing for Walleye? Never heard of such a thing nor anybody doing it. And I do a LOT of it. Cranks, spoons, harnesses...sure. Pike? Maybe. Still sounds ludicrous to me.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2022, 02:26 PM »

This is the way. Throw more crappies and perch in too!
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:13 PM »
Fly fishing for Walleye? Never heard of such a thing nor anybody doing it. And I do a LOT of it. Cranks, spoons, harnesses...sure. Pike? Maybe. Still sounds ludicrous to me.
Throwing streamers in the spring for Northern in the shallows is in no way ludicrous. It's about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on.

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:39 PM »
i have caught walleye in the mighty mo using big black leach pattern on sink tip line its a blast.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Throwing streamers in the spring for Northern in the shallows is in no way ludicrous. It's about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on.

I meant the law they want to enact as ludicrous.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:12 PM »

Trout unlimited probably behind it, they want nothing but trout in all the lakes and rivers, they've been trying for years to get the walleye out of the Missouri river system.

Offline GrizzFire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:21 PM »
I can’t believe I’m having to say this, but the fact that some on this site is advocating for bucket biology is absolutely insane. Native fisheries is what should be supported. There are plenty of fisheries already that have warm water species and the waters that would be dumped in hold native species found nowhere else. We as sportsman should be invested in conservation and bucket biology is never a good idea. Money is not the reason for wanting to keep native populations. Bucket biology severely screws with native ecosystems. Sounds like the ones who moved into Montana are missing their walleye they had back in the Midwest….

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:46 PM »

Not out of the bounds of my imagination. I'm thinking a bunny strip or leech pattern. Of course it would only work well at certain times/locations. My dad fished a fly rod a lot for walleyes when he was a kid. One or two crawlers rigged weightless and lobbed into a likely spot. Caught a pile of 'em. And lotsa fun too...

If the criteria is artificials only vs "flies only" That doesn't leave much out as far as 'eyes and pike are concerned.

As far as the "bait bucket biologists" that should always be wrong. If you want something that isn't in your back yard don't try modify, travel...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2022, 05:00 PM »
Yes, this is true and accurate. FWP had a press release on the topic a couple weeks back, although I don't believe it has passed the Commission yet. Maybe it has, but all it would require is action by the Commission on 2023 regs. Personally, I have seen some very good smaller trout lakes  decimated by bucket perch and pike introductions. Once void of black crappies, the N.W. currently have them in many, many of our lakes. Some genius even dumped N. pike into one of our premier kokanee lakes that was used a a source of stock for planting other waters. Vast majority of waters here already contain bucket N. pike. Previously, this same lake didn't have yellow perch, but it does now. FWP even found out who did it and when but due to the structure of the laws were unable, or unwilling, to do anything about it. Guess we'll see what happens. Strong comments here won't do a damn thing either way unless you give your input to local FWP Dept's and/or the Commission.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2022, 06:16 PM »
I can’t believe I’m having to say this, but the fact that some on this site is advocating for bucket biology is absolutely insane. Native fisheries is what should be supported. There are plenty of fisheries already that have warm water species and the waters that would be dumped in hold native species found nowhere else. We as sportsman should be invested in conservation and bucket biology is never a good idea. Money is not the reason for wanting to keep native populations. Bucket biology severely screws with native ecosystems. Sounds like the ones who moved into Montana are missing their walleye they had back in the Midwest….

No one is advocating bucket biology. One person made a joke and everyone else is against BS regs that won't make a difference. Did it hurt when trout unlimited shoved their fist in to use you as their puppet?

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2022, 06:37 PM »
"Dey took er jerbs."

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2022, 07:20 PM »
We really should protect the native species. So let’s kill off most main species except cuttys, grayling and a handful of sturgeon on the West side, redo the East with catfish and sauger, send Bozeman back to California and start from scratch again.

Offline Tunatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:22 PM »
It’s been a minute since I’ve caught a native fish in any lake other than burbot and suckers other than the lakes that plant cut throats

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:34 PM »
It’s been a minute since I’ve caught a native fish in any lake other than burbot and suckers other than the lakes that plant cut throats

That's because they plant rainbows in all the major reservoirs, mountain lakes you have to pack into still have natives.

Offline Tunatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:37 PM »
Right and In those u probably still catch brook trout in

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Right and In those u probably still catch brook trout in

I said natives, some are planted with brookies, but a lot still have natives in them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.