The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anti bucket biology new regulations for 2023  (Read 5582 times)

Offline GrizzFire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anti bucket biology new regulations for 2023
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:02 PM »
For the record, I don’t support Trout Unlimited and have never paid them a dime. In my opinion, I would say I don’t agree with them on the subject as well because they cater to the guide community and I don’t agree with expansions of rainbows and browns (stocking included) in waters that could be better off for cutts or grayling or heck even red bands. This goes for proposals by state agencies as well (a good example of a bad plant would be the new shrimp introduced into Flathead Lake that caused a die off of native food sources, not a fish intro but an example of a bad planting job).

Second, I know some lakes and waters can support non native sport fish populations based on flood plains and not seeping into other native waterways but that’s very specific and should be left to a professional biologist. I’m not saying all waterways should be axed, but pike in the Clearwater chain for example or walleye appearing in Seeley comes from bucket biology. It messes with the whole food chain.

Also, jokes on this subject is just dumb. It’s a serious issue and messes with ecosystems for years. Fisheries and fisheries health is a serious topic and as sportsmen we should treat it as such. I usually would pay this no mind but man, seeing how some fisheries have been changed by this just rubs me wrong. I know this won’t change minds already made up, but I had to say something.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:03 PM »
It’s been a minute since I’ve caught a native fish in any lake other than burbot and suckers other than the lakes that plant cut throats
there are still watersheds that have native fish. sadly, besides barrier falls, the ones that remain are beyond man made boundaries  such as reservoirs and irrigation projects. Some of us still fish waters with native cuts and bulls that we can drive to. Would i rather have some walleye and perch filets in the freezer? Of course. If there are still areas that have a chance to emulate an environment of past ways..great. Just cause one thinks that trout taste like crap and fly fisherman are liberal d bags, gives no one a right to play god. The guvermunt is doing the best they can to manage the fisheries in the best way possible to serve a myriad of interests..from the most ignorant redneck to the most pretentious yuppie d bag... i think we need to look beyond our own interest and give MWF a break... just my 2 cents

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:29 PM »
For the record, I don’t support Trout Unlimited and have never paid them a dime. In my opinion, I would say I don’t agree with them on the subject as well because they cater to the guide community and I don’t agree with expansions of rainbows and browns (stocking included) in waters that could be better off for cutts or grayling or heck even red bands. This goes for proposals by state agencies as well (a good example of a bad plant would be the new shrimp introduced into Flathead Lake that caused a die off of native food sources, not a fish intro but an example of a bad planting job).

Second, I know some lakes and waters can support non native sport fish populations based on flood plains and not seeping into other native waterways but that’s very specific and should be left to a professional biologist. I’m not saying all waterways should be axed, but pike in the Clearwater chain for example or walleye appearing in Seeley comes from bucket biology. It messes with the whole food chain.

Also, jokes on this subject is just dumb. It’s a serious issue and messes with ecosystems for years. Fisheries and fisheries health is a serious topic and as sportsmen we should treat it as such. I usually would pay this no mind but man, seeing how some fisheries have been changed by this just rubs me wrong. I know this won’t change minds already made up, but I had to say something.

You make a great point, trout unlimited does cater to the guiding community, and I believe they try and influence the fish and game as much as they can, and I know they want nothing but blue ribbon trout fishing everywhere, I hadn't heard that there was walleye in Seeley, I know pike have been appearing in lakes and streams on that side of the state in waters they shouldn't be in.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:34 PM »
there are still watersheds that have native fish. sadly, besides barrier falls, the ones that remain are beyond man made boundaries  such as reservoirs and irrigation projects. Some of us still fish waters with native cuts and bulls that we can drive to. Would i rather have some walleye and perch filets in the freezer? Of course. If there are still areas that have a chance to emulate an environment of past ways..great. Just cause one thinks that trout taste like crap and fly fisherman are liberal d bags, gives no one a right to play god. The guvermunt is doing the best they can to manage the fisheries in the best way possible to serve a myriad of interests..from the most ignorant redneck to the most pretentious yuppie d bag... i think we need to look beyond our own interest and give MWF a break... just my 2 cents

Yes there is, being able to drive to a lake to catch natives is awesome, better than getting beat up on a horse or walking all day to catch natives, perch have been in a lot of waters always, we only fished for trout or kokes when I was a kid, wasn't until the early 2000's that I learned about walleye in the Missouri system, I'd rather catch them then trout, but the trout bite on a marabou jig in the spring is some great fun with big fish. If you fish downstream of any place that had any mining activity a 100 years ago, all you'll catch is brookies, cause that's what they planted back after all the natives were killed off from the leaching.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2022, 10:04 PM »
We really should protect the native species. So let’s kill off most main species except cuttys, grayling and a handful of sturgeon on the West side, redo the East with catfish and sauger, send Bozeman back to California and start from scratch again.
And blow all the dams! Fort Peck first!

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2022, 10:43 PM »
And blow all the dams! Fort Peck first!
Half of North Dakota would be like the O Brother Where Art Thou flood scene.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2022, 11:04 PM »
Half of North Dakota would be like the O Brother Where Art Thou flood scene.

Wow, not much to contribute, you should just crawl back under the rock you come from.

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2022, 11:17 PM »
Wow, not much to contribute, you should just crawl back under the rock you come from.
Thanks for the feedback. Bet you’re a blast at parties.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2022, 11:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Bet you’re a blast at parties.

Your welcome, I'm the life of the party when I go.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2022, 08:56 AM »
As long as the hypocrite MT F&G continues to infest our waters with their cash cow invasive species they have zero ground to stand on,fek em.     :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2022, 08:58 AM »
I don't think that was necessary. Anyone responding to a comment that I made does not need to go through your approval proccess. We're just some fellas shooting the sh!t here. Let's lighten up.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2022, 05:26 PM »
For the record, I don’t support Trout Unlimited and have never paid them a dime. In my opinion, I would say I don’t agree with them on the subject as well because they cater to the guide community
They do not cater to the guide community.  If they had their way, there would ban all guiding to protect the trout.  Some guides have been cutting logs on the Bitterroot River to make it a safer float, and TU is trying to get them in trouble.  TU is trying to ban floating on certain smaller tributaries on the west side.  All they care about are Cutties and Bull Trout.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:32 PM »

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 27, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Fly fishing for Walleye? Never heard of such a thing nor anybody doing it. And I do a LOT of it. Cranks, spoons, harnesses...sure. Pike? Maybe. Still sounds ludicrous to me.

It's a thing. When walleye are on the feed in the shallows, it's very practical to catch them on streamers. That's what I enjoy about fly fishing at Peck, never know if the next cast will be a pike, walleye, or smallmouth. 

Offline Hapa5050

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2022, 05:15 PM »
I’ve done some poking around on some issues with rivers and lakes and most of the issues point towards the guide associations. They seem to have one sided influence on lots of things that happen in Montana. So much so, an FWP warden no longer has jurisdiction on guides, they can’t even approach them to check for licenses. The board of outfitters stripped them of their jurisdiction. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guide association were involved with this.   

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2022, 07:49 PM »
an FWP warden no longer has jurisdiction on guides, they can’t even approach them to check for licenses.

For real ?? What a crock !!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2022, 07:51 PM »
For real ?? What a crock !!

Yea, not buying that.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:09 PM »
Sames

Offline Hapa5050

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:10 PM »
Yea, not buying that.

I would never joke about that. It came straight from a game warden and he expressed concern about the issue.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Yea, not buying that.
Wardens can check anyone

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Warden’s have more jurisdiction than cops!
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Hapa5050

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:28 PM »
Warden’s have more jurisdiction than cops!

With so many disbelievers, here’s the backstory. There is a fishing guide illegally guiding on the Sun River, I spoke to my friend, who is a game warden about it. They said, since most of the Sun River is on BLM, they cannot do anything. Then he said, a directive came down from the State Board of Montana, Board of Outfitters telling game wardens they cannot check outfitters for guide licenses and insurance or their clients any longer. This did come from the hunting side of outfitters, not fishing side but applies to fishing guides as well. Unfortunately, unless my friend lied to me, this is true.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2022, 09:34 PM »
With so many disbelievers, here’s the backstory. There is a fishing guide illegally guiding on the Sun River, I spoke to my friend, who is a game warden about it. They said, since most of the Sun River is on BLM, they cannot do anything. Then he said, a directive came down from the State Board of Montana, Board of Outfitters telling game wardens they cannot check outfitters for guide licenses and insurance or their clients any longer. This did come from the hunting side of outfitters, not fishing side but applies to fishing guides as well. Unfortunately, unless my friend lied to me, this is true.

Yep, not buying that.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2022, 10:41 PM »
BLM is partners with fwp so what’s your point? Ask yourself this if a guide is illegally guiding a client how do you know? 🛎️
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2022, 11:53 PM »
I’ve done some poking around on some issues with rivers and lakes and most of the issues point towards the guide associations. They seem to have one sided influence on lots of things that happen in Montana. So much so, an FWP warden no longer has jurisdiction on guides, they can’t even approach them to check for licenses. The board of outfitters stripped them of their jurisdiction. I wouldn’t be surprised if the guide association were involved with this.   
How is a warden to know someone is a guide without approaching them?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 29, 2022, 08:31 AM »
…a directive came down from the State Board of Montana, Board of Outfitters telling game wardens they cannot check outfitters for guide licenses and insurance or their clients any longer.

The Board of Outfitters is within the Department of Labor and Industry. FWP (including law enforcement) does not answer to DLI nor vice versa. However, I would be unsurprised if a Gianforte appointed board member supported a directive such as the one you described but that move would need to come from the Gov’s office. The woodpile is currently overflowing with weasels.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2022, 09:04 AM »
SO outfitter now have guaranteed jobs and are above the law? Sign me up....

Offline bigsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Yep, not buying that.

Pretty sure he's right. I think this change was made during the last legislative session. I think a warden can still check a guide and their clients for fish and game violations, but can't check the outfitter/guide for their guiding license.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #58 on: Dec 29, 2022, 05:00 PM »
Per my face to face discussion this afternoon with a Game Warden at the FWP Resource Center in town regarding some of the statements made in this thread...
"A Game Warden can check anyone/everyone anywhere at any time & that includes BLM land."
So I guess believe what ya want. I will believe what I was told in a face to face discussion.with a Game Warden...

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2022, 08:27 PM »
Per my face to face discussion this afternoon with a Game Warden at the FWP Resource Center in town regarding some of the statements made in this thread...
"A Game Warden can check anyone/everyone anywhere at any time & that includes BLM land."
So I guess believe what ya want. I will believe what I was told in a face to face discussion.with a Game Warden...

That sounds about right, thanks for checking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.