Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Recommendations for thermal 1 man shack heater?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline vexNclam

• IceShanty Rookie
Recommendations for thermal 1 man shack heater?
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:55 AM »
Hey guys, just picked up a Clam Legend XL thermal last week at Scheels. Was looking for something easier for when im alone over my X2 thermal. Finally got to get it out in the cold on Monday to test it out. I was using my Mr Buddy MH9 4k/9k btu It was too much. Seemed like i spent more time turning it on  and off than I did fishing. So my question is this. Do any of you guys have a similar setup and what heater are you using. I have been looking at the Mr Buddy MH4K or the Coleman Procat, both are 3k heaters. I am open to any suggestions.
Ice em and slice em!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Recommendations for thermal 1 man shack heater?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:46 AM »
If the heater is new it will need to get broken in, if it's an older one you'll need to replace the ignition. There is a sweet spot to getting them to light quickly without having to warm the thermocoupler up.

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:12 AM »
I think he's saying that the Mr. Buddy made it too hot in there, so he had to turn it on and off.

Try a SportCat heater, I think they're made by the same company, just a little smaller.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:12 AM »
The Mr Buddy MH4K works well in a 1 man...it also has the low o2 cutoff that the coleman does not include. You can keep the Buddy you have now, run it on 4k btu and crack the windows/vents open to regulate the temperature in the shack

Catchin' Fish

Offline vexNclam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Thanks guys. Yes, I was having to turn it on and off because it was too hot/cold in there. I will be in DM today, hope to take a look at these.
Ice em and slice em!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:09 PM »
When it gets too hot in my shack, I take off my sweatshirt. 
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Lil Buddy and open up your vents if its too warm.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:35 PM »
My 1 man is not thermal, but I ran the big buddy on low, which is just 1 side.  With it behind me it was a little much, so I moved it up front and opened my vents.   The wind picked up and my hut has a ton of drafts, so I was definitely not too warm after that.  Personally,  I think the buddy heaters are the best made.  They have a lower btu model that has a round face and two fold out legs. 

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:36 PM »
I use my big buddy on low, works great

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:20 AM »
I don't use a heater, just my gas lantern puts out plenty of heat.  I don't have a thermal shack, but I can fish without gloves on , and be plenty warm.  I usually don't even run the lantern full bore, just on low, and it puts out plenty of heat.  If your fingers get cold from handling all those fish, just hold your hands over the top of the lantern, and they will toast right up!!

Offline Goon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:29 AM »
I had the Same problem with my Full Thermal JM and Clam Legend . I went with the Mr Buddy MH4K also(well worth the Money). Its alot lighter and compact. If I get hot I just open the roof vents to be comfortable. You won't be disappointed!!! :)

Offline vexNclam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Thanks guys, I ended up with the Little Buddy heater. Took it out last night and found that if I run it front and center with my spreader pole shortened up a bit it was perfect t shirt weather in there. I like that its nice and compact so it does not take up much room in that small sled too.
Ice em and slice em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.