Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Volga Lake Thoughts and/or Advice  (Read 4716 times)

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
Volga Lake Thoughts and/or Advice
« on: Feb 10, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Greetings Fellow Ice Nuts,

Since winter is not cooperating at all for us in southern climates (eg. St. Louis, MO) a few of my buddies and I are seeking to salvage a weekend trip in the Northeast, IA area. The idea of not drilling any holes, sitting on a bucket while freezing, and staring at the fishfinder for two straight years is just too much for us ice junkies to handle. So I'm throwing my prospects out to the friendly Iowa fishing board for a few tips or suggestions (the Illinois board is about as tight-lipped as a (fill in the blank). Obviously, I'm not asking for your honey holes since that would be no fun (the thrill of ice fishing to me is figuring out the depths, patterns, and locations on your own), but I would like to know if the ice is in decent shape, be warned of any springs or dicey areas, and know the panfish are of decent size. If there are better lakes in that region I'm all ears too  ;) ;D!

If you want to send a PM that'd be fine too, but I will pass along any good intel gathered from the three-day adventure for your future mental notes as a payback of sorts.

tight lines and bouncing spring bobbers! ;D

ratsotail (Jeff)

Offline dan berger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Volga Lake Thoughts and/or Advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Not much size to the crappie and bluegills. Crappie are 8"-10" and bluegills are 5"-7". Decent bass and catfish during the summer. I think you would have better luck on the Mississippi backwaters: Guttenburg, PdC, or Lansing areas.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Dan on Volga, I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, I/we don't have a lot of experience fishing the Big River, fluctuating water levels, and gaining good access. We'll look into it though. Good points and most appreciated!

Jeff

Offline dan berger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Let me know if I can help. I could get you numbers of the bait shops in Guttenburg, Waukon, PdC and they give good reports. Also look on Lake-Link under Wisconsin and read the ones on the Mississippi River reports.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 AM »
I've never fished the Mississippi up there.  I'm sure it would be a blast, but if you're interested in yellow bass, a few crappie, potential walleye and perch clear lake has been hot.  There's a tournament up there this coming Saturday morning.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:51 AM »
Volga Lake is 371 miles from Columbia, IL (by Google's reckoning) Clear Lake is 437miles and Guttenberg is 366 or 384 using some interstate hwys if you prefer.
Volga will keep you busy, but most are small and the fish are just on the edge of keepers.
I'd go to Bussey Lake (a Mississippi backwater north of the dam at Guttenberg). 
For Bait and info Contact:
Murray's Outdoor Store
1402 U.S. 52  Guttenberg, IA 52052
(563) 252-1838
Beth also can provide you with a map of the dredge channels so you can concentrate on productive water.

There are some good quality fish there and access is good. Many are driving out on 14 or more inches of ice (measured Saturday where I was sitting). I walk out from the lot. I caught some nice Yellow Perch on crappie minnows. Six on Friday, Eight on Saturday in a couple hours. No action on Tip-ups either day. It been in kind of a slump but should pick up. Mississippi backwaters allow 3 Tip-ups in addition to your 2 (or 3 with the extra permit) jigging rods.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/FishingReports.aspx

Good Luck,
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Mr. Meyer, the mileage math you have calculated is exactly the kind of drill we've been doing in our planning. Thanks for confirming our suspicions about Volga; the research we had done on line seemed to indicate that as well. Lake Clear is another possibility for sure...not sure how much extra traffic will be out there for the tourney, but the chance of catching quality and diverse species is intriguing. The backwaters you mention and the contacts for info is also greatly appreciated. How deep of water are we talking on Bussey and in the dredge channels and what can one expect to catch out of this "lake"? I have no perception at all fishing Ole Miss backwaters  :-\ ;D!

Preston/Dan, thank you so much as well for your input. Trying to plan a successful trip is not a guarantee via the internet, but it is fellow fisherman like you guys that make it much easier. I/we are grateful for your input (actually blown away by your willingness to help fellow Ice Nuts like us). I think wea re beginning to narrow this adventure down...much obliged.

tight lines,

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Volga Lake Thoughts and/or Advice (Pic heavy)
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:42 PM »

Bussey Map

USArmy Corps of Engineers Map Portion

Aerial Photo looking south along Abel Island showing weeds and dredged canals. Weeds are Lily Pads, Lotus, Coontail, Milfoil and Assorted Pond Weeds (Potamogeton sp. AKA "Cabbage" a favorite of Northerns)
Fish species include Largemouth and Smallmouth (both of which I release) Northern Pike, Crappie, Bluegill and Yellow Perch.

As the map shows the dredged areas are 5-7 feet deep and the shallows are 1-3 feet deep.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/WheretoFish/LakesPondsReservoirs/LakeDetails.aspx?lakeCode=CLE17
Clear Lake map, but I confess I've never been there. On my list of places to go, though.
A search on IceShanty.com will turn up over a hundred pages on Clear Lake.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Clear Lake is pretty easy to fish. I was up there again last weekend. The ice is great to drive on & the access is as easy as it gets this year. No snow & fairly smooth. Fish the Little Lake (small L on west end). Some fish shallower for yellow bass which you can keep all you want as there is no limit & they are just under a crappie as table fare. My buddy & I chose to set up a bit deeper in about 18-19 ft of water for other species mixed in with the yellows.

We nailed the yellows all day, then in the afternoon/sunset time picked up some crappies, perch & a few walleye mixed in. The walleye came after dark & my last one was caught at about 8:30 pm. So, I've been up there a couple times & each time my buddy & I caught the four species each time. They all came on about the same tackle so we didn't really have to specifically target the walleye or crappie. The die-hards are reporting catching 100 plus fish on days which are mostly yellows with many crappie included. It's a pretty sure bet to catch fish, so if you don't mind the extra miles, I'd recommend it. Especially since you can keep all the yellows you want & it's good for the fishery to get them out of there. Enjoy your trip wherever you choose to go!

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Mr. Meyer and Melrose,

Thanks for helping us narrow down the field with hopes of catching quality fish. Both options are compelling and we may just fish both spots in the four days we have planned. I think first stop will be the backwaters to chase some Perch around. I used to live in Canada, Ohio, and Maryland and really miss the Perch fishing in those regions and one of my buddies is from South Dakota (also going through Perch withdrawals). I can't thank you enough for your candor and willingness to assist three out-of-towners...much obliged!!

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Good Luck to you and your friends! You'll have to post a follow up on your successes.
Mike

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:59 PM »

You bet Mike! Any strong thoughts on the Landing Motel in Guttenberg to rest some wiery bones?

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:17 PM »
A very historic building. Once a Button Factory where they stamped out blanks from River Clams to make Pearl Buttons. I live too close( 20 miles) to have stayed there so I can't give a review. I'd give it a shot, though. It should have a nice view of the river below the Dam. Bussey is upstream, above the dam. There's a  bar/restaurant up the street which has very good food and also has a view of the river. A deck out back for nicer days.  "The Dam Bar"https://www.facebook.com/dam.bar.5

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Awesome,  love the historical facts. Might you be wetting a line this weekend?

Jeff

Offline KDK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Hey! you forgot the Michigander. ;D

Ken
Life is simple, people make it complicated

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:38 AM »

Jeff

Friday, probably. Not Saturday, though, I have a date with hundreds of BEERS. http://www.dubuquebrewfest.com/
Sunday starts my work week all over again.
Mike

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Hey! you forgot the Michigander. ;D

Ken

Honest oversight...so sorry Ken! ;) :o

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Mr. Meyer and Melrose,

Thanks for helping us narrow down the field with hopes of catching quality fish. Both options are compelling and we may just fish both spots in the four days we have planned. I think first stop will be the backwaters to chase some Perch around. I used to live in Canada, Ohio, and Maryland and really miss the Perch fishing in those regions and one of my buddies is from South Dakota (also going through Perch withdrawals). I can't thank you enough for your candor and willingness to assist three out-of-towners...much obliged!!

Jeff

You're so welcome. Glad to help anyone wanting to fish back in this area. Hitting both sounds like a superb plan. Keep in mind the slot limit for the eye's on Clear Lake. I believe you are allowed 3 & have to be over 14" with only 1 of them over 22". Unfortunately, I haven't had to worry about that, though.  :(

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:39 PM »
You're so welcome. Glad to help anyone wanting to fish back in this area. Hitting both sounds like a superb plan. Keep in mind the slot limit for the eye's on Clear Lake. I believe you are allowed 3 & have to be over 14" with only 1 of them over 22". Unfortunately, I haven't had to worry about that, though.  :(

Good luck on Clear this weekend Melrose! Maybe you are due for a nice 25"er after helping a fellow fisherman out, eh! ;D ;) Good luck and I'll report back on how we did!

tight lines

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:02 AM »

Jeff
Jeff,
What day(s) will you be in Guttenberg ?
Mike

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:09 AM »
...should arrive Friday evening and fish Saturday, Sunday & Monday...depart Tuesday morning. Looks like a good weekend weather-wise  ;D!

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:13 AM »
I'll let you know how I do Friday.
Mike

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Iowa DNR Report for what it's worth.

Mississippi River Pool 10

River stage at Lynxville is 13. 5 feet and remaining steady.  Joyce Lake at Harpers, Gremore Lake near Prairie du Chien and Bussey Lake at Guttenberg have been consistent for bluegills and crappies through the ice.  Bluegill - Fair: Anglers have been doing some sorting but still picking up bluegills. Try a teardrop jigs tipped with pieces of wax worm. Crappie - Fair: The bite has slowed but some bigger crappies are being caught on jigs with minnow.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:09 PM »
...hope to see a few Perch mixed in  ;D!

tight lines

Jeff

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Perch is all I could catch last week. All nice keepers.

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:10 AM »
 ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.