IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Another awful winter for ice

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jack978:
Where I live, we have about 10 or 11 inches of mixed ice, so I guess we aren't as bad off as some.  When I was a young man, we would have to drill through 24+ inches of ice to fish and the most I remember was 31 inches.  Lately it's not so much.  One of my neighbors remembers ice skating after eating thanksgiving dinner and that doesn't happen anymore.   Either we moved south, or the weather changed.  Ice season gets here later and leaves sooner.  Seems we are probably about a month shirt from the old days.  We got pounded with rain for 3 big storms in December which is out of the ordinary which didn't help the ice at all.  Call me a Marxist but at this rate we are losing fishing days at a noticeable rate.

jrjach75:
I wouldn’t say this was “another” bad year for my area in east central Iowa, last year started about a week late and ended about as average, but overall was decent. This season was like one we had about 10 years ago. That season was even worse in my area, we only had about 2 weeks of safe ice, but the next three seasons were on average, very cold temps, including a season with the most ice I’ve ever seen locally. Hopefully history repeats.

thomasthepikehunter:
I'm pretty sure the warm winter is country wide, so you are in good company.

4seasonfishrman:
Got 3 days in on the ice this year, ice only lasted a week.  Guess that's better than last year when I only got out on the ice once.

52isntbigenough:
NE Wisconsin has been good, not great. A majority of the season was 4-8", so travel by ATV and sleds was a concern, but a lack of snow made pulling shacks out fairly easy. We're on 8-10" now, with a cool down coming, so we'll be a solid 12-16 fairly soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version