Author Topic: Homemade Portable Shelters  (Read 28868 times)

Offline piscespugilist

• IceShanty Rookie
Homemade Portable Shelters
« on: Dec 17, 2007, 06:49 PM »
Fellas, (and the ladies :) ),

I have made some portable shelters, anybody else cheap and have initive?

I have made the "hut" style with two pieces of plywood and a tarp, but does anybody else have some new plans? I ask becasue I got a new idea, but dont want to spend the money and time, if someone has something else better.

Offline dogfishin9

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Homemade Portable Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:17 PM »
The only ones I have ever built are the same plywood and tarp style as yours...but I'd sure like to here your idea ;D
Selected as America's best in 1893

Offline CannedHeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I built a really complex fold-up model with a buddy of mine quite a few years back. It held pretty well and pulled really nice but wasn't very durable and after a few years we both wound up buying our own. He bought a Clam and I went with Frabill. I live about 5 minutes from Frabill's HQ and know a few employees..always a plus.
Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Here is the design I came up with last year.

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:06 PM »
I posted this a few years ago in the shanty thread.

Here are some pics of the shanty that my brother in law made. Sorry for the scanned quaility, but you get the idea.

It folds up to the size of a dog sled

Offline piscespugilist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:09 AM »
I notice all the pics incorporate electrical conduit, correct? That stuff is great. If i can ever figure how to post pics, I will post my plans....I saw some green house designs online, and I have adapted them into an ice shelter. It is still a "hut" bit alot lighter.

It calls for PVC, and I am not sure PVC can hold up to being flexed, jostled, and bear weight, all in the in the cold.  We are using roofing rubber on the current hut, its awesome, but heavy.

I dont have a snowmobile, so in the past, weight and drag have been my major complaints about the homemade shantys. I am still working on a good way to get clearance and minimize drag, without having the sides along the bottom be open (like gasman's). I like the box sled idea, but they get heavy.

Offline Trigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:53 AM »
I notice all the pics incorporate electrical conduit, correct? That stuff is great. If i can ever figure how to post pics, I will post my plans....I saw some green house designs online, and I have adapted them into an ice shelter. It is still a "hut" bit alot lighter.

It calls for PVC, and I am not sure PVC can hold up to being flexed, jostled, and bear weight, all in the in the cold.  We are using roofing rubber on the current hut, its awesome, but heavy.

I don't have a snowmobile, so in the past, weight and drag have been my major complaints about the homemade shanty's. I am still working on a good way to get clearance and minimize drag, without having the sides along the bottom be open (like gasman's). I like the box sled idea, but they get heavy.

To post pictures you can host them at http://imageshack.us/

Click on the browse button and find your picture on your computers hardrive and upload it.
After that you can resize the picture if need be.
Then click host it.
You will now enter a new window where it has 5 link options to pick from. For just posting a picture in a post on IceShanty pick either Hotlink for forums (1) or Hotlink for forums (2)
Hope this helps

______________________ ____________________________________ ___________

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2008, 06:09 PM »

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:40 PM »
hey danman do you have anymore pics or plans, what materials did you use? i want to make my own flip up portable but i am pretty much clueless right now
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline piscespugilist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2008, 05:35 PM »
hey danman do you have anymore pics or plans, what materials did you use? i want to make my own flip up portable but i am pretty much clueless right now

It looks like treated canvas, yes? Did you sew it together, or happen upon some perfect tent? I have hand sewn some drfit socks, but that looks like a major undertaking, would think you need a machine.

The sled looks like plywood, and with canvas...how heavy is it?

Note: my plan failed, could not get enough flex out of the PVC...trying to lighten it up. Yet have some strenght.

Offline mosely

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:50 AM »
PVC gets brittle in the cold.  Not sure what you are using it for.  If it is for the frame, I would suggest 1/2" conduit.  If for the skis, you could also use conduit, snow or water skis.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2008, 10:39 PM »
sides, rear are 3/4 pine boards

bottom  is made of 3/8 plywood curled up around the wood at the front
nailed and glued

..rip the plywood 1/2 thru every inch or so so that it will bend

i made some comparments side to side using pine boards on the inside..also a built in seat

you can glass the bottom if you want

i put 1 inch wooden rails on bottom...and covered them on the bottom  with a thin carpet strip like of metal on each one..to keep from wearing out

this sled pulls easier than my fishtrap

frame is copper tubing

tent is canvas like from surplus store.......i found some drop cloths at harbor frieght that are simmilar weight you could use them for canvas

my wife sewed the canvas..we stretched it over the frame and marked with chalk..made some loops fro the pipes to go thru

bolts thru the copper pipe...rubber washers between rows of pipes

tie wraps hold on the bottom of canvas

cut a pole with v notch each end to strecth the canvas tight on top inside between top pipes

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:15 AM »
that looks awesome! i have decided that something like that is now my summer project along with making jigs and maybe a few rods, thanks danman
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:36 PM »
DANMAN  the sled does not hae to made from wood, I used an old wheel barrel, JAckson m17 plastic that was broken and I just plated the cracks.
The fram I use 1 inch electrical conduit, Cut the pole and place a coupler on the run to make it shorter during transport to the ice.
I made a small frame on the barrel to place a n old boat seat on it.
The frabic I use was boat  seat material, you can swe it on regular machine, just get coat thread or heav duty thread. Make the largest piece of fabric the one the attacts to the sled to the frame. Make the sides the smaller pieces, I also make a window, forgot where I got the stuff, the material came for Jannes fabric.
The cost was $65.
I garbage picked the skis's.
The barrel sits on 4x4 blocks and hte skis are bolted on the blocks,
Good luck and seriously consider buying a portable, if you can't enjoy your project.
My hut still works I just bought a frabill Xl 2 man. The second best purchase besides the VEX!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Oh sure...whatever works and you have laying around...My  green home made fishtrap sled is maybe 10 years old..about the time fishtraps started selling natiionally at walmart...the copper in it is probably work 40.00 now !! :P 

One fella used a plastic mortar tub for his sled base !
lots of plastics out there eg garbage cans, sleds, rubbermaids, etc that you could consider using for a base

Offline husker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:30 PM »
sry guys no pics but i took 3 sheets of ply wood and an 10 by 20 foot tarp and some screws and built mine ....it folds down and is only 6 inches tall when in storage or transport.....standing is 6ft tall 4 wide 8 long 2 windows, 1 door

hope you can picture it in your head......ill c if i can get some pics

Offline bitzlecocker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:35 PM »
But does it transport easily?

Offline husker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:43 PM »
But does it transport easily?

it was horrible in snow so i built a metal sled and now it slices through up to 8 inches with little effort at all!!! ill get pics next time i go home im at college now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.