The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: impact driver for a hand auger?  (Read 10314 times)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
impact driver for a hand auger?
« on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:46 AM »
has anyone tried one instead of the regular battery drills, was using one for building a deck with ramps the past few weeks, an 18 volt impact drives 3 inch deck screws with ease unlike my old 18 volt drill that gives up the battle quickly. this is the one i used, would have to modify an adaptor for the nils, small light and powerful

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-drivers--wrenches-dc825ka.aspx

this one looks better built, the quarter inch arbor on the other looks flimsy for use as an auger

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202363871&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202363871&ci_kw={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202363871&ci_gpa=pla&locStoreNum=2667

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: impact driver for a hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:00 PM »
As long as you can switch off impact mode and use it as a drill/driver. You don't want to use it in impact mode.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:33 PM »
the impact on these is in the direction of spin, not like the in an out impact of a hammer drill

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:42 PM »
the impact on these is in the direction of spin, not like the in an out impact of a hammer drill

Even so, your nils is meant to shave the ice not be hammered through it. That being said, report back later in the season and let us know how it worked, good or bad.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I've thought many a time about these, and due to the torque alone they're a much better option than what a typical 18V drill can put out.  They're just awesome on the jobsite for any kind of screwing (hey now).  The Bosche I was using the other week was driving 3/8" lag screws in like they weren't even there - with no pilot holes.

The one thing I'm not 100% on is how they would react if the auger encounters resistance and it flips to the impact mode.  The drill has a constant, linear pressure on it's rotation, where the impact will pause and then slam again.  It's the rate that it's doing this that has me concerned when you apply it to a
"shaving" style of auger.  It may hurt it a lot less than someone repeatedly slamming the auger around at the bottom of the hole or leaning on it the whole way down like I see some guys using their augers.

If I had an impact at home and something like a cheap Mora that I wasn't worried about (rather than a Nils or Lazer) I'd be a lot more interested in how it ended up.  Would be really neat if someone made a chipper style auger blade in 5" - I bet it'd work great with that style of head.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:00 PM »
My 18v ridgid li-ion is the best thing to ever happen to me and my 5 inch lazer.  Cost me $100 with a batt and charger and have never been lacking for another hole.  Thing is awesome and came with free batt return for life.  can't beat it with a bat.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.