Author Topic: WD-40 to catch fish?  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
WD-40 to catch fish?
« on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:35 AM »
I stumbled across an article about WD-40 this morning, and this guy was stating how it can be used as a fish attractant. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything about this. Maybe some of you use it? I don't want anyone giving up their lifetime secret, but just some thoughts on it. Im think now I may go drench a jar of my salmon eggs in it and see what happens!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WD-40 to catch fish?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I stumbled across an article about WD-40 this morning, and this guy was stating how it can be used as a fish attractant. Just curious if anyone else has heard anything about this. Maybe some of you use it? I don't want anyone giving up their lifetime secret, but just some thoughts on it. Im think now I may go drench a jar of my salmon eggs in it and see what happens!
yes sir, many uses for good ole wd-40:
2000+ uses for        http://wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf
• Keeps reels rust-free
• Keeps model trains rust-free
• Keeps lures corrosion free
• Prevents fishing flies from rusting
• Unfreezes frozen snowshoe zippers
• Keeps plastic lures from sticking together
• Drives moisture from waders after use

"The first time I heard of anyone using WD-40 as a fish attractant was back in the 1970s. An acquaintance was fishing for salmon off the West Coast. The mate on the charter boat kept spraying a substance on the lures. It was working; they were catching lots of fish. In order to conceal the identity of the spray, the can was covered with a brown paper bag, held tight by a rubberband. During the confusion of landing a fish, and with curiosity piqued, the angler slid the paper bag down revealing a can of WD-40."

Full article here...http://www.northcentralpa.com/article/obrien-outdoors-wd-40-fish-attractant

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Have used WD-40 for a lot of thinks but have never used for fish attract.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:43 AM »
seen the guides use it up on ontario salmon fishing. i would think it poluttes.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:43 AM »
When I was a kid we were trolling for king salmon in Washington and we heard over the radio that people were spraying their lures with wd40 so we tried and immediately we started catching more fish... Who knows if it was the wd40 or luck...but we blamed the wd40
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Why not just dump gasoline in the lake while your at it  ???  ???

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:45 AM »
Why not just dump gasoline in the lake while your at it  ???  ???

I'm sure many already do, its called a 2-stroke.

Offline BIGBOB69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:54 AM »
absolutely !!! was on a cod fishin trip with my mother out of rhode island and an older couple was out catchin us 3 - 1 .went over and asked their secret and sure enough he pulled out a small can of wd-40 which he was spraying on the clams. gave us a couple of squirts in our bucket of clams and bingo !!! our catch ratio instantly improved. no joke !! have used it since then with similar results. another example of a weird,great bait i brought a buddy catfishin on my boat and i usually always use shrimp and fresh killed minnows for bait. he showed up with a bar of ivory soap !!! total for the night me 4, him 13. as you can guess i dont go catfishin without ivory soap. 99.4 % animal fat and no perfumes so it kinda makes sence.  hope this helps and GOOD FISHIN !!!!
may the good lord help me to see the day when i catch the one that got away

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:00 AM »

Oh god, not this again!   This topic comes up every year, many times. WD-40 is a petroleum product. Spraying it on your lures does nothing but pollute the water. use actually fish attractant instead such as smelt oil.  It works better
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.