The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for info on Missisquoi Bay  (Read 4274 times)

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Looking for info on Missisquoi Bay
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Hello all, I'm looking for any info that would be helpful for a good day of Pike fishing. I've gone up there 3 years ago just once and had a day of survival never mind fishing.  Temp was inching near the -40 temps...I met up with someone who was going to college from this site and he took me out but I couldn't remember where to set up.  All I know is I've never been so cold fishing and it was the first time and the last time I drove out in a pick up. The hugh pressure crack scared the heck out of me..I do have a new atv which I will take along but would like some help on where, how, etc. to fish Missisquoi Bay.....It really seemed like a great place to fish.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking for info on Missisquoi Bay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:48 PM »
The wind can be killer up there, I have fished Missisquoi twice this week off Highate Springs. Check out NOAA depth chart 14781 to get depth bearings of the bay, this chart covers the whole northern part of Champlain. Its all a shallow bay, so I have seen people set up all over. Watch out by the river outlets though. I have been staying closer to the shores on the southern part of the bay. You can access the bay off shipyard road at the Highate town beach. You can buy bait at Martin's right in town there. Plenty of big perch in the bay too. So far I have pulled out a 26" and a 32"
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 04:43 AM »
Suprised to see an ATV on the bay Monday, enough ice apparently. Also suprised to pull a few large perch, not a lot but some good size overall. I'm wondering if the pike were active..........the perch would hit very quickly, catch 10 or so then gone. Anyway it was good to enjoy my first fry of the season.

Also tried off Church rd in west Swanton, not much activity, a few small perch and they were full of grubs/parasites...............can't bring myself to eating those!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Early season a good number of perch still have worms, it sucks.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:14 PM »
missisqoui has some of the biggest pike on champlain dont really ice fish it alot since its such a haul i did open water fish it a bunch this year
with some big ones i caught this one in front of hog island campground or whatever that place is

catch pike like its my job

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:28 PM »
if theres access out in front of that campground try there he has a boat launch i use in the summer not sure if its plowed in the winter but the fishing is amazing out there depths ranging from 2-12 feet and alot of weed beds

Offline lemdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:37 PM »
if that is Campbell's Bay campground, i'm not sure.  I have rented a cabin there before and i will give them a call and check if there is access there.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2009, 01:55 PM »
yea thats campbells where charcoal creek comes in any info on access would be awesome the guy that runs the shop is a nice guy i ddnt really like the fishing on the other side of the river delta

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2009, 04:27 PM »
hey there nhpikeking...your not to far from me. I live in Claremont.  I quess I need to spend some time up there. My biggest pike was a 6lb. out of Norton Pond which was 30 inches. I would love to get a hugh pike at some point. I heard of some guys who rented a cabin at Campbells bay, is that part of missisquoi bay?  they went up and trolled with a boat and caught many pike. 

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Fished the area the last few summers but the bugs we're brutal. You guys have any trouble out in the bay's?

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:27 AM »
yea campbells is part of the whole missisqoui region and i did have problems with bugs there in the shallows when it wasnt windy i catch alot of nice fish up there tho along with some slob white perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.