Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Equipment

DIY 1 lb propane canister filling

(1/16) > >>

LoneWolf:

In another thread I had posted how I couldn't find the Flame King kit for refilling the 1 lb canisters and I decided to make my own. This is just what I did and I'm not suggesting anyone else should.
I ordered three parts online. A hose, a shut off valve and a 1 lb canister adapter. The hose is 20" long with one end that goes to the large tank and the other is a male 1/4" threaded NPT. The brass ball valve is a double female 1/4" NPT that is rated for gas and water. The canister adapter is a male 1/4" NPT and female for the canister. I simply put it together using a gas and water rated sealant on the threads.

The next thing I did was to get a schrader valve tool and alter it to work on the pressure relief valve. I removed the pressure relief valve to see exactly what it is and decide how I wanted to relieve pressure while filling. Most people seem to be pulling up on the pin in the valve to relieve canister pressure. This is a safe method as the valve pressure is pre set at the factory and you don't want to alter it.

Tool

Pressure Relief Valve

I decided to go another route. I took 4 new, untouched canisters and decided to see how consistent the depth of the valve sat in the canister. I know it would go by spring pressure (not depth) to give the valve the correct resistance or pressure to release. I seated the tool on the first canisters valve and marked it. I compared that to the other three canisters and they were identical. I now had a depth gauge for proper spring tension.
I set everything up on my WorkMate. The large tank on top with the hose attached and the smaller 1 lb sat perfectly on the foot rest. I opened the valve on the large tank leaving the ball valve on the hose closed. I opened the pressure relief valve slightly and then opened the ball valve. I opened the pressure relief valve until I heard pressure releasing. The 1 lb tank took about a minute or so to fill. When I saw liquid coming from the relief valve I closed the ball valve and then the pressure relief valve. I removed the canister from the hose. I checked the valve height. Then I weighed it. I did 4 canisters today and it worked great. Also all the canisters came within tenths of an oz of full. If the Flame King kit were available I probably would have just purchased that but this worked great and was easy to work with.

Gills-only:
In my flame king kit, says not to leave 20# tank upside down for more than i think 10 minutes at a time

LoneWolf:

--- Quote from: Gills-only on Feb 22, 2018, 07:43 PM ---In my flame king kit, says not to leave 20# tank upside down for more than i think 10 minutes at a time

--- End quote ---

It must have something to do with the safety valve.  ???

The weight I used to check the refilled canisters was just under 2 lbs. I had checked 4 brand new Coleman canisters and the full weight was an average of 1 lb 15.2 ounces.
The past few years I had been using the Mac adapter and couldn't get the canisters past 2/3 full even when freezing the bottles. This is a much more efficient process.

Gills-only:
I like the set screw on the flame king tanks, like a 500 gallon tank, when it comes out it’s full!

LoneWolf:

I agree with you about the Flame King kit. As I said I was trying to get it. If it had come in on any of the numerous due in dates I was told I would have been using that.

It doesn't matter now as I am happy with this set up .. it works and works easily. I now have a dozen full and weighed 1 lb canisters ready to go.

By the way I also used soap and water to make sure of no leaks.

Do you weigh your canisters ? I remember reading by overfilling them you can increase the pressure especially on warm days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version