The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to the forum will this set up work?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the forum will this set up work?
« on: Dec 20, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Hi guys hoping you can help me I haven't gone ice fishing in the last 8yrs due to a permanent disability, as a result I can no longer lug my gas powered auger. So After watching some You Tube videos I went to home depot online and Ridgid R86008 drill driver it has a 2 speed switch & an auxiliary handle along with 535 in" lbs of torque and (2) 1.5 lithium ion batteries .  I plan to use this drill with my Mora Strikemaster 8" auger I know the 1.5 packs wont offer me a lot of holes,but until I can afford a 4 or 5 they will have to do...  So the million dollar question....  Will this work? Any advice here would be welcomed

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to the forum will this set up work?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Are you sure that is the right model number? says discontinued on there site
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:19 PM »
either way I run the ridged hammer drill with the 750 lbs of torque and have no issues.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:35 PM »
 Online Stickhick86, Yes that is the model # and its a close out it is a brushed motor it also came with a hammer drill my cost 119.00 one of the reasons I bought it is the awesome warranty.  I should have mentioned I'm not using the Clam drill base just the drill attached to the auger that I put an extension on.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:37 PM »
I wouldn't run it with an 8", Minimum torque is 725. You would probably get away with using it on a smaller auger but you will most likely end up burning it up on your 8"

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:10 PM »
I run a old 18v dewalt on my 8in auger.    Haven't had any issues besides the kick of the drill handle while  drilling a hole. But I would definitely get a support handle as well. This is the setup I run although I did finally get a gas powered one this year can't wait to try that.    I would suggest looking into the clam drill plate though just bc of grip and ease of drilling. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:34 PM »
welcome to the shanty!

home depot has a 90 day hassle free return policy. i would take it all back and tell them you want the 9 amp octane battery and charger kit. it costs 170$. costs you another 50$. also offers the lifetime warranty on all of it.
they offer a free tool when you buy it so grab the octane drill for free. it has 1300 inch pounds and will turn any hand auger.

the 525 inch pound drill you just bought would have turned a 5 inch and maybe a 6 inch but not with those tiny batteries.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:00 AM »
welcome to the shanty!

home depot has a 90 day hassle free return policy. i would take it all back and tell them you want the 9 amp octane battery and charger kit. it costs 170$. costs you another 50$. also offers the lifetime warranty on all of it.
they offer a free tool when you buy it so grab the octane drill for free. it has 1300 inch pounds and will turn any hand auger.

the 525 inch pound drill you just bought would have turned a 5 inch and maybe a 6 inch but not with those tiny batteries.

That^

For $50 more you can go from a hamster to a wolf...

You'll have the best drill, and a huge battery, and most likely more holes than you can fish..

<°)))>{

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2018, 04:59 AM »
If you don't want to buy the $180 Ridgid Octane Hammer Drill and 9aH battery, buy this combo: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-2-Tool-Combo-Kit-with-2-4-0Ah-Batteries-Charger-R9205/206127587
And get this tool "free": https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-with-Belt-Clip-R86011B/301996008

Home Depot prorates the prices and allows you to return the "free" tool. This makes it $113.80+ tax for a 725in/# hammer drill, impact driver, 2- 4aH batteries, and a charger all with lifetime service agreement!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:14 AM »
I have the same drill but I have the 4ah batteries. The smaller drill will push a 6'" auger through ice easy enough but you will need the bigger batteries for ice over 6" thick if you want to drill more than a couple holes. It isn't going to turn that 8" auger. I suggest a better drill and at least 4ah batteries.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Man am I glad I found this forum!!  I returned the Ridgid this morning and got the one I should have they only had 3 left its the R86116 with 750 in"lbs of torque! On sale for 79.00 after applying for Home Depot credit card my final cost...  56.97 !! The drill comes with (2) 1.5 lithium ion power packs, handle & charger so I saved myself some money that I can use to get a stronger battery for the drill. Thanks again guys for your solid advice.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Glad you found a solution that works for you Sportdog.  :thumbsup: It can be challenging if you're on a tight budget but asking the right questions, getting the right answers and doing a little shopping can get you what you need (can't always get what you want  ;)).

Also, welcome to the Shanty! As you discovered, there's a wealth of info here and a bunch of good folks to share it. If you would visit your profile and add a location that helps folks understand your future comments or offer better advice as there are many regional differences in regulations and techniques. Doesn't have to be specific just something general: Vilas Co., SE WI, Lake Superior... like that.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Glad everything worked out for you

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I have been using that drill for 2 years and it chews through 8in of ice no issues

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Man am I glad I found this forum!!  I returned the Ridgid this morning and got the one I should have they only had 3 left its the R86116 with 750 in"lbs of torque! On sale for 79.00 after applying for Home Depot credit card my final cost...  56.97 !! The drill comes with (2) 1.5 lithium ion power packs, handle & charger so I saved myself some money that I can use to get a stronger battery for the drill. Thanks again guys for your solid advice.

the 1.5 amp batteries are also way too small, but you have 90 in all to figure out what works for you. the free tool deal is supposed to end at the end of this year. sounds like they gave you 25$ for getting a credit card. that means the octane kit would cost you 25$ more than the first kit you just returned. it will turn any hand auger.

some thing to keep in mind is when you find the batteries inadequate, you'll be looking to buy bigger batteries and they will not offer the lsa on those when sold outside of a kit form. they will have everyone else's standard 3 year warranty and batteries do wear out.
the drill you just bought will work if it had 4amp batteries on 6" augers all day long. it's what i was running until i bought the octane kit for nearly half price. it would not turn an 8" mora hardly at all. maybe it had dull blades, but i didn't let it try to finish as the job was more than the drill could handle.

someone mentioned they prorate tools so you can return the free tool to get cash back.
they do not do this in store. they give you the free tool and they don't charge for it so you get nothing back if you return it.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:42 AM »
someone mentioned they prorate tools so you can return the free tool to get cash back.
they do not do this in store. they give you the free tool and they don't charge for it so you get nothing back if you return it.

You are 100% incorrect on the in-store process:

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:47 AM »
And another example:

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2018, 12:38 PM »

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:02 PM »
That's because you bought the drill when they had just come out and there was insufficient stock for store pickup. Home Depot customer service did it that way as an exception in order to ensure you, the customer, were pleased. That's not the way it's normally done when you buy things in store; if you were able to buy the 9 amp hour starter kit and hammer drill at the same time in store, they would have been prorated on the receipt like I showed above.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:26 PM »
that's how they always do it when i am buying from them in store. it's not my first tool bought from home depot no doubt.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2018, 04:24 PM »
that's how they always do it when i am buying from them in store. it's not my first tool bought from home depot no doubt.

I don't know what to tell you then. Are you having them honor online-only promos in-store? Otherwise they should all ring up prorated. It's an oft-repeated fact on deal websites; that's how I learned about it before ever taking advantage of it. I guess I'll stick to my store, not Kentwood :)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:18 PM »
not on-line promo only. home depot is home depot and so brick and mortar honor on-line sales as they always do and should. i prefer to have it as fast as possible so i'll drive to get the tools unless there is no choice. when they ring it up it can be several ways, but the tool always rings up as free no matter which store i use. kalamzoo, coldwater, lansing, jackson it's always the same. sounds like there is a disconnect from michigan to your state as far as how to ring up free tool deals. to me, free is free and i wanted the tool(s) so i keep them.
if i wanted to play the game, i could return the battery and charger and just keep the free tools.

in order to shop what hd has on sale, you have to use their website. i never get flyers or emails showing all of things on sale. then i go buy the stuff in person unless they are out of stock like the in this case the battery and charger where not in stock. i bought the battery kit online and called around using hd's store locator to find phone numbers to make sure they had one they could put my name on. i explained to them their sale and they ring it up as 1 penny. i also took my receipt, but they didn't bother looking at it. i drove a long distance to get it and they charged a penny.

the staff says there is a "disconnect between their store and their web site". they always seem to have a disconnect shopping in store tho until you tell them whats going on. never have had them discount the free tool as your receipt shows at a store. i have had the free tool offer several times and it's always rung up as one penny for the free tool to get their pos to recognize their is a sale or item being sold.
i find it odd when using their on-line cart to see them charge for the free tool and they actually charge you more for the combo kit if you noticed when using their cart by 10$.

so i had the drill and had to wait for the battery/charger in the mail before i could get it all registered.
they always honor their own sales in person. you just have to know whats on sale to get it and if it's in stock.

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Well guys I took the advice of some here and ordered the Ridgid 9.0 Octane battery & charger on sale for 169.00 + tax and was indeed able to get the Ridgid 1300 in"lb drill model # R8611506B Free!!  Again without this forum and the free advice I would have never know about this offer. The local Home Depot has the 9.0 battery but not the drill so, thanks again for steering me right. Can't wait til it gets here and I can put it to work!I forgot to add that the Ridgid drill the 9Ah battery and charger carry the lifetime warranty so I'll never have to pay for new batteries, drill or charger, what a great deal!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.