New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Adirondacks help!  (Read 1336 times)

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Adirondacks help!
« on: Feb 13, 2024, 06:40 PM »
I’ve never caught a lake trout or landlocked thru the ice. What lake would be good to get both those scratched off the list. Doesn’t even need to be a keeper. I just like catching them I don’t eat fish. Any Adirondack lake would do. I just don’t want to drive 6 hrs for nothing. Plan on spending a few days up there and hitting a few lakes and trying to salvage this season and regain some of my sanity. Got Machine and will walk if needed. Thanks in advance. Please pm me if you could.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
Re: Adirondacks help!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2024, 07:51 PM »
Schroon lake or Blue Mountain lake for lakers. Lake Eaton for salmon and rainbows.
Master Laker taker.

Offline finsntins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2024, 05:39 AM »
little further south from what reddog suggested is raquette lake and then 7th and 4th lake of the fulton chain.raquette you will need a sled to get out to the fishing area but seventh and definetly fourth,you can just walk out from the state launches and fish.the taproom in raquette rents rooms and inlet has a few different motels to stay in.the woods inn in  inlet has rooms and you can walk right out from your room and fish.also,new bait shop just down the road.i would recommend not coming next week to inlet or raquette,as its a holiday week and will be swamped with snowmobilers,after next week traffic will get much lighter,especially during the week.do your research and talk to the locals before venturing out on any of the lakes,as they all have areas of thin ice from channels and streams dumping into the lake.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:23 AM »
The chance of you catching a salmon in this area is a shot in the dark they are so piss pounded by now that I wouldn’t even waist my time hit schroon you’ll catch some lakers if you piece it tg right fish small tiny baits

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2024, 08:59 AM »
The chance of you catching a salmon in this area is a shot in the dark they are so piss pounded by now that I wouldn’t even waist my time hit schroon you’ll catch some lakers if you piece it tg right fish small tiny baits

Second this.  Eaton is getting more attention than paris hilton did after her "movie" release.  Its a small place and its overrun with people.  10 years ago it was quieter, the lime light has changed that spot.

Schroon you have better chance at a salmon.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2024, 02:56 PM »
Second this.  Eaton is getting more attention than paris hilton did after her "movie" release.  Its a small place and its overrun with people.  10 years ago it was quieter, the lime light has changed that spot.

Schroon you have better chance at a salmon.
I don't have any problems catching salmon at Eaton. I have 4 salmon on the wall out of that lake. Schroon is getting more attention than Eaton by far. But Schroon is a bigger lake that holds more fish. Hopefully whatever lake he chooses he will catch the fish he is after.  ;D
Master Laker taker.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2024, 03:12 PM »
I don't have any problems catching salmon at Eaton. I have 4 salmon on the wall out of that lake. Schroon is getting more attention than Eaton by far. But Schroon is a bigger lake that holds more fish. Hopefully whatever lake he chooses he will catch the fish he is after.  ;D

The salmon caught within the last few years?  I haven't spent much time there but the few trips have been brutally slow for me.
westernmas on the finder

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2024, 03:18 PM »
The salmon caught within the last few years?  I haven't spent much time there but the few trips have been brutally slow for me.
Yes. I like Eaton. Every lake you fish has slow days. If other fishermen have a tuff time putting fish on the ice, maybe they should change there tactics. I fish Eaton first ice. Then I fish it late ice toward the end of the ice fishing season. My buddy landed a 24 inch salmon there last week...
Master Laker taker.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2024, 06:29 PM »

I'm glad someone is catching there! 

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:07 AM »
Yes. I like Eaton. Every lake you fish has slow days. If other fishermen have a tuff time putting fish on the ice, maybe they should change there tactics. I fish Eaton first ice. Then I fish it late ice toward the end of the ice fishing season. My buddy landed a 24 inch salmon there last week...
Very easy to catch them when they dump them in from a truck lol bragging about them on the wall your bait was the first bait they saw ever! Hahahaha wow everyone has different definitions of good fishing but countless trips mid season for a singular salmon that’s been eating its own crap it’s whole life isn’t my example of good fishing you can go to the village of lake George and catch many from shore even if timed correctly look at state stocking list and make your decision from there stay away from broodstock lakes or where the Feds dump large fish from the Vermont hatchery your best bet is fishing a lake dumped by clear lake hatchery as fingerlings some lakes they become food tho so choose wisely

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:11 AM »
I can show pictures of a few more then 4 caught from there but it’s all like you said early Ice fresh fish is the key this years many got caught out under slip Bobbers because of late freeze

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2024, 09:39 AM »
I can show pictures of a few more then 4 caught from there but it’s all like you said early Ice fresh fish is the key this years many got caught out under slip Bobbers because of late freeze
Well, if you read what I wrote I have 4 salmon on the wall from Eaton. Not 4 salmon total. I like Eaton. If other fishermen don't, that's OK too. I was just trying to help the first fishermen poster out. I hope the guy can catch what he is after no matter what lake he chooses. :)
Master Laker taker.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2024, 05:36 PM »
Well, if you read what I wrote I have 4 salmon on the wall from Eaton. Not 4 salmon total. I like Eaton. If other fishermen don't, that's OK too. I was just trying to help the first fishermen poster out. I hope the guy can catch what he is after no matter what lake he chooses. :)
I agree I tried to point him in the right direction as well just my opinion that I wouldn’t go to Eaton especially as a first timer trying something new

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.