Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 137705 times)

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2006, 09:56 PM »
owned almost every flasher..my lx-5 is the best..

trapperdirk

« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Nice catch of fish Ryan . Congrats . ;D

TD

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:03 PM »
yeah been a long time since we caught our limits of crappie,we usually don't take that many home, but we were having a huge fry back at the cabin 15+ people... ate them all.. ;D thx..

thebuckmaster

« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2006, 02:12 PM »
owned almost every flasher..my lx-5 is the best..

Used an FL18 Dual Ultra last season!
Seems to have trouble getting rid of noise from other flashers in the same vicinity, no matter how often I would use the noise reducer.
Picked up an LX-5 a couple of months ago from Marine General in Minnesota!
They told me anyone can order from them anytime, cause if they don't have it in stock they will order direct from the factory which is just around the corner from them.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Just an FYI, I heard thru the grapevine that you won't be able to get these or any other Marcum "named" flasher from "The World's Foremost Outfitter" anymore. It seems that "another flasher company" is worried and bought the rights to be the sole supplier of flashers to "The World's Foremost Outfitter".  I also heard thru the grapevine that one of IceShanty's sponsors, Fish307, should start carrying Marcum flashers shortly.
Ken                                          

CSP88

« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2006, 04:01 PM »
Just an FYI, I heard thru the grapevine that you won't be able to get these or any other Marcum "named" flasher from "The World's Foremost Outfitter" anymore. It seems that "another flasher company" is worried and bought the rights to be the sole supplier of flashers to "The World's Foremost Outfitter". 

Bean, the "rumor" I heard was this decision was based on Marcum's inability to meet orders based on slow production.....not the "worried about the competition" you heard.  Since Marcum is now a site sponsor, maybe someone in the know will shed some light on this to clear it all up....Tim you there??

Offline Slappy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' jiggy with it!
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:24 PM »
I've been trying to compare the LX-3 and LX-5. At quick glance, it looks like the main difference is the adjustable cone to 12 degrees. Am I missing any other features? Being new to flashes, is that smaller cone worth the extra $100 or so?

trapperdirk

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Well actually it's 20 degrees and 8 degrees for the Marcum LX-5 . Yes the biggest difference between the LX-3TC and the LX-5 is the dual cone but also there is the SFL super fine line with the LX-5 . In order for me to give you an opinion and I'm sure others will agree it would help if you had an idea of what type of fishing you do .

What I would like to know is if you fish tight to steep drop offs especially in deep water and also do you fish heavy weeds . I always got along just fine using the 20 degree cone on the LX-3 and never as of yet ran into what is the dead zone situation where a smaller cone would be needed but I'm sure it can happen and I do have an LX-5 . I know quite a few lads that fish heavy weeds and from what I've been told is that the 8 degree cone really cuts out alot of the extra lines the weeds will show and you can see your jig alot better amongst them with the tighter cone and it makes sense to me to utilize the feature if this occurs . Also if your fishing close to other sonars the smaller cone will help with interference issues that may occur .

I think it's worth the extra 100 bucks if you really run across these situations regularly but if not then the need is not there and no use in spending the extra . In most situations that I fish and thats alot of lakes just the one cone has been fine but areas and how they have to be fished may differ . Anyways good luck with your choice .

TD

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I've been trying to compare the LX-3 and LX-5. At quick glance, it looks like the main difference is the adjustable cone to 12 degrees. Am I missing any other features? Being new to flashes, is that smaller cone worth the extra $100 or so?

There's 3 things.
1st there is the addition of the 8 degree transducer as Trapperdirk mentioned.
2nd is the power output is increased from 1500 watts to 2000 watts.
3rd which has to do a little with the 2nd item is a feature called Super Fine Line. What it does is allows you to be in the non zoom mode(full screen) and have your target separation decreased to .75" instead of the normal 2.15". It will allow you to see fish that are real close to the bottom more easily without being in the zoom mode. It allows you to improve your separation while viewing the entire water column.
Also, the difference is $80 and not $100.
So when looking at both of those units, you'll have to decide if the added features would be something you would use.
Ken                                          

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:21 AM »
For what it's worth,  The Worlds Formost Outfitter still has them on thier website.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:31 AM »
For what it's worth,  The Worlds Formost Outfitter still has them on thier website.

Yep, I guess the "rumors" that myself and CSP88 heard were not valid. I see they are in stock now. I also see that FISH-307 has updated their website and now has the Marcum flashers and underwater cameras listed.
Ken                                          

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Almost everyone seems to be pro-Marcum here (yes, I know the subject is on LX-5's), but has anyone tried the new FL-20's yet?  Just wondering.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Almost everyone seems to be pro-Marcum here (yes, I know the subject is on LX-5's), but has anyone tried the new FL-20's yet?  Just wondering.

I was gonna buy a Vex FL-20 but after everything I've been reading about the Marcum LX-5, I decided to get one instead. UPS just dropped it off an hour ago, and it seems very well designed. I can't wait to try it [maybe in the bathtub].  I have used a Vex FL-8 for years and I love that, it was just time to upgrade.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2007, 05:49 PM »
The LX5 is a very nice, very capable unit.  You won't be disappointed.
That being said.  I own an LX5.  I have no experience with any Vex products.
When I fish, I am the only one with electronics.  The first time I used my LX5,
I could have just as well been watching the simulation mode. I am very happy with it.
I just wish I could spend more time using it!
MD.

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:34 AM »
I just picked up a lx 5 from the fishing pro store for $399.99 it was a referb from  marcum, Brand new unit for a steal!

Great store, check it out!
CEO

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2007, 11:36 AM »
I just picked up a lx 5 from the fishing pro store for $399.99 it was a referb from  marcum, Brand new unit for a steal!

Great store, check it out!

I'm all over it, just placed the order.  Looks like the kids are getting handed down the ole FL-8

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I purchased one yesterday, can't wait to get it. feel like a little kid waiting for christmas now. ;D ;D

Offline Seaweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:56 PM »
I bought one this year.  Every thing I read pointed me at buying one of these units.  I have had it out a few times.  First time out was magical and I caught more eyes than I ever had before.  I was greatly disappointed though that my unit didn't arrive with the plug in to charge the battery... and dispite the good intentions of Marcum and some pushing from the World's Biggest Supplier of fishing and hunting gear .... two months later and a couple of weeks away from closing of the ice fishing season I still don't have the part.  I have been charging the battery using a Deep cycle charger..... but when I paid almost 500 US for this item.... I want everything thanks.

Here are some points in retrospect though from my few outings with this unit.

I have yet to move the zoom and only use it every now and again.

the little nut that holds together the cable holder that folds out is already showing signs of rust or caking and will probably have to be watched closly

It would be nice to have a cover for the opening so that snow doesn't get in there because it is really hard to get out.

I will know today if I will be sending this item back .... or if I will be getting a part Special Delivery this week.  I think that it will be going back and I might just try a Vexilar Pro Pack ... but I will probably just wait and get another LX-5 next year.  I can't believe that these guys ran out of stock on all of their chargers and just packed up their units anyways and sold them without any way to charge them.  Very poor customer support so I hope all you LX-5 users got good units.

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:01 AM »
Seaweed check your P.M.  MarCum will take care of this immediately...  No way should you have had this type of delay for a wall charger....

Sincerely

Tim aka CNY Tim
Tim Rogers

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:57 AM »
If you want to take a look at the capabilities of an LX-5 Marcum go to this http://www.fishfever.com/node/202/play.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:25 PM »
You can easily replace the arm bolt with a stainless steel one from Home Depot, I did, no rust.  Here's some interesting info on the Marcum Lx-5 sonar superiority to the FL-20, vex owners might be a little upset, but it's true.

MarCum Technologies LX5 VS: Vexilar FL20

Receiver sensitivity :

Receiver sensitivity is the measurement of a sonar receiver’s ability to detect an input signal. This measurement tells just how small of a return signal the unit is able to pick up and display. The LX5’s receiver is more sensitive.

Measurement:

LX5- 24uV

FL20- 40uV

Receiver Gain:

Receiver gain is a measurement of the total system gain or amplification. Typically the more gain a receiver has the smaller signal it will be able to detect.

The LX5 receiver has more gain.

Measurement:

LX5- 89.77db

FL20- 70.89db

Receiver distortion:

Receiver distortion is a measurement of the sonar receiver to filter, amplify, detect, and display a return signal. A receiver with less distortion will give a more accurate display. The LX5 has less distortion.

Measurement:

LX5- less than 1%

FL20- more than 40%

Transmitter power:

Transmit power is a measurement of the output power into the transducer. This is usually defined in Watts peak to peak or Watts RMS. In the sonar world more power means a better return signal with less noise and less filtering. The LX5 has more power.

Measurement:

LX5- more than 2000 Wp-p or 300 Wrms

FL20- more than 400 Wp-p or 50Wrms

Conclusions: The LX5 surpasses the FL20 in every sonar measurement that was made. With these measurements it becomes clear that the LX5 is a superior product in respect to its receiver/transmitter design. These measurements were made on off the shelf units using an industry standard tester.

What this means to the ice fisherman is that with the LX5 you will get a clearer, less distorted picture of what’s below the transducer. We at MarCum believe that these measurements reflect what LX5 users have been seeing on the ice. The MarCum Technologies LX5 is truly the best and this can be backed up and verified by scientific measurements.

Duane Cummings

Chief Sonar Engineer

MarCum Technologies Inc.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2007, 07:04 PM »
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #52 on: Jan 08, 2008, 11:17 AM »
HI Gang!
  I can keep up with everything except an LX-5.  I have an Upgraded LX-3 tc up graded by Marcum tech and returned in 14 days.  There customer service is outstanding.  If I e-mail their customer service a question and within a business day I recieve a direct uncomplicated answere.  If you call there you can talk to a Human who actually speaks english!  I am really pro marcum and have never been paid by them or even sponsored.  I do Pro ice fish too.  I do alot of tourneys.  I rely on my Marcums to help me put fish in my hut.  I try to fish with the best winter gear thats why I chose Marcum for my electronics exclusively.  I use their VS250 camera too. 
  Da-Roc

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #53 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:25 PM »
I feel ya Roc.. Jon and Chris are busy as a bee these days with MarCum's expanding product line but they do know customer service, and do it very well.  Customer service is a thankless job, I know I have been doing it since 1982 from my military background to the contractor side of the house, customer service is my main focus.   
MarCum's technology and sonar advancements have inspired me from the very beginning and opened my eyes up to the vast improvements engineers Ray "Mar"zean and Duane "Cum"mings at "MarCum" have achieved.  You can see it on the screen and once you do, you are like most converts and sit back and say to yourself, "Why didn't I try MarCum 5 years ago? "  The LX-5 leaves every other unit I have owned in the dust...The LX-5 delivers innovation, interference rejection, shallow water and thick weed gills and crappies to bottom hugging perch and walleyes, nothing escapes the MarCum unless you fish over 160', add bang for the buck and Made in the U.S.A and a friend to our Armed Forces and you can see my excitement. 
Yes I do pro staff for MarCum and I am proud to do it, especially a U.S. company that has gone about it right.  It's o.k. to feel proud of a US product again!
Innovations,  product reliability, performance and reliable customer service have been key for this company and any successful business.  U.S. companies could take a page out of MarCum's playbook and run with it and maybe we wouldn't have so many products made overseas.  "One Step Ahead"
Tim Rogers

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:40 PM »
HI Gang!
  I can keep up with everything except an LX-5.  I have an Upgraded LX-3 tc up graded by Marcum tech and returned in 14 days.  There customer service is outstanding.  If I e-mail their customer service a question and within a business day I recieve a direct uncomplicated answere.  If you call there you can talk to a Human who actually speaks english!  I am really pro marcum and have never been paid by them or even sponsored.  I do Pro ice fish too.  I do alot of tourneys.  I rely on my Marcums to help me put fish in my hut.  I try to fish with the best winter gear thats why I chose Marcum for my electronics exclusively.  I use their VS250 camera too. 
  Da-Roc
I just want to say I think The MarCum customer service is satisfying too. I've called there a few times and it's nice to talk with someone that speaks English !!! I called there this afternoon because I took a small part off mine this Summer and thought I had it in a safe place. I forgot that when my wife cleans everything that doesn't belong in that place gets thrown out. Anyway, Marcum is sending the part tomorrow and guess what !!! NO CHARGE  !!!! ;D

PWR BAIT

« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I to think that marcum customer service is GREAT if you have a problem with anything they take care of their customers :thumbsup:.Thats the way you do business the customer always come first.From what I have used of their equipment is outstanding in my book I want to thank all at Marcum for their time and service keep up the good work guys :thumbsup:

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:59 PM »
  It's o.k. to feel proud of a US product again!

Okay there mr. icetechy ;)  When is Marcum going to send me out one of these LX-5's so I can do a review and feel proud and be one step ahead  :whistle: :thumbsup:    You, me and Mr. PWR BAIT there need to go and do some fishing soon too ;D

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Okay there mr. icetechy ;)  When is Marcum going to send me out one of these LX-5's so I can do a review and feel proud and be one step ahead  :whistle: :thumbsup:    You, me and Mr. PWR BAIT there need to go and do some fishing soon too ;D

Hey,
Don't forget about the Marine's!!!  I'd like to tag along and  :icefish:
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Hey,
Don't forget about the Marine's!!!  I'd like to tag along and  :icefish:

guess others aren't invited  ::)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #59 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:31 PM »
guess others aren't invited  ::)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  That would be too many Marcums in the area for Slip's Vex to work!!  ;) ;)
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.