Author Topic: Marcum LX-5 Review  (Read 137830 times)

Offline Perchchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum LX-5 Review
« Reply #90 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Here's what I know the first 200 units shipped with 2,000 watts printed on the outside of the boxes and no logos on the front of the softpack also 75 more units were shipped with embroidered LX-5 on the front of the pack.   Bottomline is if you have the Nature Vision  8 x 11 manual you have the 2500 watts.  Perchchaser looks like you were one of 75 that received an embroidered one which personally looks better.

Well after talking to several people in the companies it was determined that nothing in or on my box indicated that I had the 2500 watt unit so they sent me a fedex label so I could send it back and they are going to Fedex me a new one.  Everyone I spoke to from Reedssports to Marcum to Nature Vision was very helpful.  I shipped my unit back yesterday so hopefully I will receive the new one in a few days.  ;D

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #91 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:29 AM »
I'm glad your customer service went smoothly., kinda interested to see if you'll have an embroidered pack like Mainedog ;)
Tim Rogers

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Based on my experiences with both Nature Vision, and Marcum (both before and after acquisition), they have fantastic customer service.

MD

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #93 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Congratulations to Myron and Joe, 2008 NAIFC champs excerpt from Joe and video. Fished with them last year and talked with them at the Nationals great guys and something they have worked hard for many years. Well done!

Nature Vision provided us with our MarCum LX5 flashers. When fishing among other teams the LX5 uses its feature to reduce feedback. This makes it possible to fish between teams. Thanks Trevor and John.

http://titancast.titantv.com/p/wjfw/v/NAIFC-Champions-Crowned-in-Bad-Weather/1ACA0UPW.aspx
Tim Rogers

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Dec 28, 2008, 05:47 PM »
I love my Marcum Lx-5......but I've had an issue arise with it.  I've been fishing in     -20F or more over the last month here in MT.  I popped holes and checked for fish and so forth.  After one of these outings I was sitting in the house and decided to go and look at the Lx-5 just to make sure it was still running after all the extreme cold.  I was looking it over and saw a crack in my cable!  I never noticed it before but Im not sure what happened to it.  It appears to still work well but has anyone else had this happen?   I put some electrical tape around it to keep the majority of the water out but this seems weird to me.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Sorry Cutbow, still waiting to test out the new unit.  I'd be lucky to fish in 0 degree weather, let
alone -20. 

MD

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Dec 31, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I take it Im the only one that fishes with the Lx-5 when it's this cold?  Thus the only one to have trouble with the cord?

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #97 on: Dec 31, 2008, 10:16 PM »
I love my Marcum Lx-5......but I've had an issue arise with it.  I've been fishing in     -20F or more over the last month here in MT.  I popped holes and checked for fish and so forth.  After one of these outings I was sitting in the house and decided to go and look at the Lx-5 just to make sure it was still running after all the extreme cold.  I was looking it over and saw a crack in my cable!  I never noticed it before but Im not sure what happened to it.  It appears to still work well but has anyone else had this happen?   I put some electrical tape around it to keep the majority of the water out but this seems weird to me.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

cutbow_07 - Did you lube the cable before sliding the stopper ???  Spit works great or water. That's one thing I did with my new unit I took the stopper off and took a butter knife and pryed it open a bit more so it would slide a bit smoother when adjusting the stop. I would bet that's what happened.  Man are you fishing in some extreme temps  :bow:
Tim Rogers

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 01, 2009, 11:04 AM »
Yeah I think you're right about what happened.  I tried to open it as much as I could with my fingers but it didnt seem like much.  Figured it would be fine but forgot to take into effect the relatively brisk temperatures and the increased ice build up, which would require a wider channel/hole to pass through.  Im going to go fix that lil problem right now.  Im hoping the ol' girl holds tough and keeps a workn.  If it can and does, I will never ever buy a different sonar.  Thanks icetechy! 

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #99 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:04 PM »
 i have a LX-3 for two seasons now But still can't figure it out Fishing in 35 FOW
 for perch in lake george Dial set at 40 Gain set so i can see my jig moving up
and down Have used both ways regular and Zoom modes. But i still haven't seen
 any green or red screen lines moving towards my jig eather off the bottom or any at all Don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I red the instructions and did what it says
 The bottom solid red and top solid red are there to see OK but I'm not marking fish
but I'm catching them  any info appreciated ?????
I Live To Fish

Offline Jello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:44 AM »
Its been as low as -25 when I've been out fishing with my LX-5.  No problems.  I would think sliding the stopper might have done it was well.

Offline warrior1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:05 AM »
I'm planning on fishing this weekend in seventy fow with my LX-2 with a twenty degree transducer will it work ok.  Thanks for any info.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:59 PM »
at 70 ft a 20 degree cone will  show spread approximately 14' in diameter.....Not too bad, but not the greatest either......

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:59 PM »
at 70 ft a 20 degree cone will  show spread approximately 14' in diameter.....Not too bad, but not the greatest either......

@ 70' with a 20* transducer it will be around 24' in diameter.
Ken                                          

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:47 AM »
i just noticed the error......i had figured 24 and typed 14...lol......

Offline Tbrew123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Hello,

This may have already been addressed and if so, I apologize.  I purchased via Cabela's website the LX-5 unit on 11/20/09.  It has NOT been delivered yet.  After reading some posts here, I went back to their website and it clearly states that the unit has 2000 watts peak to peak power.  I am praying that this is a misprint on Cabela's end and that they are in fact going to ship the 2500 watt unit.  Has anyone purchased one within the last month or so from Cabela's and can verify?  I would greatly appreciate a reply.

Tim

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Hello,

This may have already been addressed and if so, I apologize.  I purchased via Cabela's website the LX-5 unit on 11/20/09.  It has NOT been delivered yet.  After reading some posts here, I went back to their website and it clearly states that the unit has 2000 watts peak to peak power.  I am praying that this is a misprint on Cabela's end and that they are in fact going to ship the 2500 watt unit.  Has anyone purchased one within the last month or so from Cabela's and can verify?  I would greatly appreciate a reply.

Tim

If it actually has 2000 watts, then that unit is 2 years old.  The easy way to tell is when you get it, look at the front of the soft case. If it has LX-5 embroidered on the soft case, it's a 2000 watt unit. If it doesn't, it's a 2500 watt unit.
Ken                                          

Offline Tbrew123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Nov 23, 2009, 03:36 PM »
That is what I was told from Marcum as well.  No one from Cabela's can tell me for certain what it actually is that was shipped.  Marcum said not to worry but it is tough when you spend close to $500.  If anyone has recently purchased a unit from Cabela's, please let me know.

Regards,

Tim

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:43 PM »
Tim, I just bought the LX-5 that's on sale at Cabela's as well; the reason for the sale price may be that it is the 2000W model, not the new 2500 watt model. According to the item description from Cabela's: "The LX-S is the most powerful and sensitive flasher ever, boasting 2,000 watts of peak-to-peak power". On another e-retailer, the LX-5 is listed at $549.99 and the product description defines it as having 2000W  of peak power, so there may be some suppliers clearing out the older pre-2500W stock, or it may be some typos in the ad copy, hard to know. I'll check mine when it arrives and see if the case has the logo or not. I may just send mine back since I'd rather not pay $450.00 to get the 2000W model........That said, I don't know how much difference the 2500W vs 2000W will make, so I'm going to contact Marcum about it. But if that's the case that Cabela's is selling 2 year old units, I'd personally feel a bit burned to think I'm buying a two year old unit, even if its on sale......

I did find a site that has the LX-5 rated on their site as being the 2500W model, for $459.00......feel the burn!  >:(

Chris

That is what I was told from Marcum as well.  No one from Cabela's can tell me for certain what it actually is that was shipped.  Marcum said not to worry but it is tough when you spend close to $500.  If anyone has recently purchased a unit from Cabela's, please let me know.

Regards,

Tim

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:15 AM »
The retailers that have the price at $549 are using last years MSRP(when they were owned by Nature Vision). The MSRP was lowered to $449 this year when they were bought by Versa Electronics (the maker of the unit for the last 3 years).
Ken                                          

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:46 AM »
it also should say on the front of the box before you open......since if it was old stock the box wouldnt have the 2500 watts listed in the description

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Ken. Here's hoping that the model Cabela's is selling for $449 is the newer model. If the sales numbers were highthe past few years, I would hope that the older 2000W stock has since been sold, but I have a funny feeling I'm going to see a logo on the case of my new LX-5..........

The retailers that have the price at $549 are using last years MSRP(when they were owned by Nature Vision). The MSRP was lowered to $449 this year when they were bought by Versa Electronics (the maker of the unit for the last 3 years).

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Nov 29, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Ken. Here's hoping that the model Cabela's is selling for $449 is the newer model. If the sales numbers were highthe past few years, I would hope that the older 2000W stock has since been sold, but I have a funny feeling I'm going to see a logo on the case of my new LX-5..........

I'll bet you a shiny new quarter you'll get the 2500 watt unit.  ;D
Ken                                          

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:24 AM »
Here's hoping!  ;D

Offline Tbrew123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Nov 30, 2009, 03:06 PM »
All was good w/ mine, 2500 watt.  Cabela's just needs to keep up on their website updates.  From a marketing perspective, it would drive additional volume.  But that is just me being a "typical" salesman.  Thanks for all the replies and emails.  This is a great site.  Good luck to all this winter!

Tim

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:55 PM »
Good news my friend!

I'm interested to see if mine is also the 2500 watt version, which I would guess it would be. Everything I'm reading about the Marcum LX-5 here and on other sites is very positive. It would be nice to see a series of instructional videos on the Marcum site such as they have on the Vex site on the tricks of the trade in using the flashers.

One of my buddies who bought a flasher went Vex because Vex had instructional videos on their site, and they were very helpful to him after only ever having used conventional fishfinders........

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #116 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Good news my friend!

I'm interested to see if mine is also the 2500 watt version, which I would guess it would be. Everything I'm reading about the Marcum LX-5 here and on other sites is very positive. It would be nice to see a series of instructional videos on the Marcum site such as they have on the Vex site on the tricks of the trade in using the flashers.

One of my buddies who bought a flasher went Vex because Vex had instructional videos on their site, and they were very helpful to him after only ever having used conventional fishfinders........

They are not "rocket science".  Once you get and use one, a couple of hours and a few different fishing spots will make you a pro.  Don't worry about it, they are very simple to operate.  It will change your perception of fishing.  Knowing there are fish down there "seeing them" will keep you interested in fishing all day long.  You will spend your time trying find what the fish will be interested in rather than moving because you didn't catch anything.
But, you are right, Marcum should have an instructional video - it would make a great sales promoter.

Offline solar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Well, for the average joe who hasn't used one before, the fact is that a quick instructional video gives you a much quicker step into the use than reading a book does, at least would for me. I checked out the Vex website and watched their videos. Even though its not for the Marcum, I have a much better understanding of how the flasher appears, how the split screen works on the magnification aspect, etc.

For me, the great thing would be to be able to sonar through the ice before drilling to check depth and to see if there is anything showing up, if ths is possible.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:04 PM »
When you get your unit, put it in simulator mode. 
It really will look the simulator when there is a fish following your lure and smacking it!
Only thing the simulator doesn't do, is bend your rod.

Having used both the 2000 and 2500 watt units in about 30-70fow, I see no noticeable difference.
I kind of like the 2000 unit a bit better due to less noise, but that may be more a function of transducer.
Next time I have access to both, I might swap transducers and compare.

MD

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Little water on the ice and you can read depth through it before drilling, finding fish that way is pretty tough though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.