Author Topic: The end is on the horizon  (Read 2297 times)

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
The end is on the horizon
« on: Mar 08, 2019, 08:56 PM »
It's been a great season. Caught alot of fish. Here we are at March 8th and there is still 12-14" of solid ice at the state line on many lakes. Looking at the forecast we are in for some 50 degree highs. If it stays warm we will likely ice out in two weeks. Probably one more week of safe fishing. By next weekend we will be walking the plank if the ice is still good. If not, well fellas, it was a good run. In the mean time I'm getting up at 3am to hopefully go smash some perch tomorrow. To those fishing, good luck !

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The end is on the horizon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2019, 07:03 PM »
had a tough season, a few decent bass on tipups and one good day icing some really nice redear, otherwise i kept finding negative fish. because i saw fish on the graph and could get them off the bottom,  i tried a lot of new presentations, albeit unsuccessfully. fished some new water as well and can't wait to get on it after iceout.

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:51 PM »
I've had my share of tough years. For me, years like this one keep me going during the bad years. Last 2-3 weeks has been more neutral to negative fish than I've seen most of the year. When it gets like this my tip downs are the MVP's of the trip. They are fish catching machines when jigging, tip-ups and auto rods just dont cut it. Last trip we would have only caught a dozen bluegills if not for the tip downs. I'm usually the only one on the lake using them. Not a popular method in Illinois but a highly effective one.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I got out a good bit this year, more than i thought i would but mostly a few hours here a few hours there, no real big trips. 

We've caught a lot of fish this year, have fished a number of new bodies of water, a few oldies, and some mainstays.   We drilled a lot of holes and learned a lot too. 

But we are ready for it to be gone and move onto the spring walleye run. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.