The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ICE BUILDUP ON AUGERS  (Read 6124 times)

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
ICE BUILDUP ON AUGERS
« on: Jan 22, 2005, 03:56 PM »
How do you guys keep the ice from building up on your augers? I ws thinking of trying to wax my auger or try to coat the auger with a cooking spray or something.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ICE BUILDUP ON AUGERS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2005, 04:23 PM »
I have been wiping mine down with Rain-X.  I put it on, let it dry, and buff it until it is slick.  The water runs off well and ice doesn't seem to build up on it.  Makes it look pretty too.

Pop

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I have been wiping mine down with Rain-X.  I put it on, let it dry, and buff it until it is slick.  The water runs off well and ice doesn't seem to build up on it.  Makes it look pretty too.
Pop
Cool, awesome, sounds like I have a project for the week before I go out again, THANKS.  ;D

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Silicone spray is the way togo. Spray on a rag and wipe the auger down. Works the best in my opinion and don't take but 30 sec. to do. Sometimes I take 2 - 2 by 6's about 10 inches long and I place them around a hole I drilled. Leave the auger in the hole. The 2 by's keep the auger from setting to far in the water. :tipup:
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2005, 08:40 PM »
I took my new Stealth out for a test run. I drilled one hole to get water to pour on the ice for my handheld sonar and put the auger down. It was about 15 below and when I went to drill some more holes, the blades were completely iced up. I had to chip off the ice for 10 minutes before I could drill any more holes. I felt stupid since it was my first time using it.
Even with the "Stealth" coating on the auger, I still get water freezing to the auger. I'm just more careful with the blades.

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:16 PM »
I just bought a Jiffy stealth also,and I've used it every weekend without it icing up.I havent been out at -15 deg. but its been around 10 deg.I'm really impressed with it.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:31 PM »
I just bought a Jiffy stealth also,and I've used it every weekend without it icing up.I havent been out at -15 deg. but its been around 10 deg.I'm really impressed with it.

Do you have the 2hp? Mine seems to bog down when I'm drilling a hole. It's an 8". Did you do any adjusting or mix the gas differently?

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Cityfishin - I get the same ice buildup on my stealth coated auger and blades at those temperatures.  Maybe the coating has a minimum temperature below which it doesn't work worth ****, because it can plate a half inch of ice on itself in no time.  I carry a pair of needle nose pliers to remove hooks, and found that I can free up the blade at least fairly quickly by using them like an ax.  Just stay away from the cutting edges, and use the point like a wood chisel to clean off tight areas.  Just be aware that doing this on the flighting might flake off some of the coating as it comes loose with the ice.  It's still a pain to do, so I try to drill my holes fairly quickly, then allow the flighting to drip off if possible, although at those temps we're talking flash freezing. >:( Maybe some of that silicone spray might help??
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:39 PM »
 I ususally use my metal scoop i bring along to knock ice off my auger blades, today on the ice with the snow and the below 0 temps i had to do it everytime before i drilled a hole.
Jason

HeavyChevy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2005, 10:42 PM »
Never have no problams with ice build up just fire her up and let her rip.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2005, 06:52 AM »
You can use automotive or marine wax , rain x or pam cooking spray , they all work well . Whatever you have the handiest .
                                                     John

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 10:47 AM »
Side note: I believe that there is a difference in quality(or percent?)  in silicone,..I used to buy the cheapest stuff,.3-4 dollars a can,..one day I decided to get the stuff that cost double at my True Value Hardware place and I noticed a big difference of how it worked. I will spring for the better stuff from now one.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:38 PM »
I used cooking spray and blakemore line & reel magic which is silicone basically. The diffrence in quality of silicone sprays is the amount of silicone on the mix in the can. I think castle which is an automotive supplier, has a pure silicone spray.If you touch up your auger at the end of the season like I do, to prevent rusting, make sure the silicone is all off it, or paint will not stick, or it will fisheye!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:41 PM »
I usually spin the auger out of the water after driiling a hole.this throws any water off the blades.if it ices up i let it sit in the water a few minutes and it thaws,then spin it and throw the water off.I have a eskimo shark,9''

stump

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2005, 07:03 AM »
thanks guys I will try the silicone tonight.

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2005, 06:16 PM »
All you have to do is after drilling a hole is hold the blades upward until it drains the water away from the blades and don't lay it down in the water or snow. If ice starts to build up on the shaft put it down in a hole for a few minutes and the water will melt it off. Ice build up on a auger is the drillers fault. ;)
a little jiggle never hurts

sharp_hooks

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:48 AM »
I like those ideas and I too plan to give them a shot... :tipup:
Sharp Hooks

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2005, 02:00 PM »
I'm amaze!!i have this problem too with my power auger and never tough i can do something about it.i try the silicone right away ;D
thank guys  ;)

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:39 AM »
Was wondering what the best power auger out there was. Not looking for the cheapest one but somethig that want cost me an arm and a leg.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2005, 01:21 PM »
Just prop your auger up, blades upwards a little on your sled or pack basket so that the water runs down the auger and off the blades.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Was wondering what the best power auger out there was. Not looking for the cheapest one but somethig that want cost me an arm and a leg.

The next one I want is the Eskimo 33cc Stingray, cheap and very good power and cutting action, so they say.
You can find it here: http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0029151.jsp

[/img]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.