Author Topic: I need a BIG pout!  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Clark A

• IceShanty Rookie
I need a BIG pout!
« on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I've never caught or have seen a Eelpout/Burbot/Lawyer/Cusk.  I would like to do a trip somewhere in the next month or so where I may have a shot at getting one that would go 10 lbs.+.  I live in Minneapolis and know that Mille Lacs has them and Leech Lake.  I hear that getting one that size out of Leech is probably tougher to obtain than a 50"+ muskie during the open water season.  I realize that I will probably need to fly to "the" location, so I would need to have a guide to set me up.  Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
Thanks, Clark Anderson

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: I need a BIG pout!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Clark,  Send an IM to Dirtball2, he's from Minnesota, and I think he got into them down there?  I know lake of the woods has them, just where is the ??
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2006, 10:50 PM »
A bit longer trip, but drive to, would be Lake Manitoba...you'll want to wait a bit though as they tend to pick up Feb / March.  Season is closed in Manitoba at the end of March.

Worst case, we could show you some logs of burbot that the commercial fishermen toss on the ice  :-\ :'(

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Clark ... four words

Lake Of The Woods

The state record came outta there 4 years ago and it was just over 19 lbs.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2006, 03:14 PM »
There's been some 10 pounders come out of Winnie the last couple of weeks.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Clark A

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:16 PM »
I just returned from a trip to northern Minnesota and we were able to fish only one evening (due to illness and extreme cold) for the "Pout", but we caught 16 nice ones (4?-8.5 lbs) in about 3 hours. We almost caught our limit of perch with 7.75" being our minimum for the balance of the weekend, and had a blast watching the Marcum 350 camera (Hauenstein makes Ice Fishing FUN!!).  I can't believe more people don't target Eelpout.  I hope they taste as good as people say they do.  I just can't seem to get this nasty smell out of anything I had with me or the fancy townhouse we rented (an attorney is probably being contacted as I type).  Thanks for the tips gang and I have learned a lot from all the Eelpout posts.  The fish were caught in 30 feet down on a sand bar close to 70+ feet of water with 1 oz.+ glow jigs with Northland tackle rattles.  We put a minnow on each hook of the treble. I wish muskies were as stupid as the Happy Pout fish!!!!  How do you attach photos?????

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Clark
Are you willing to name the lake that you were on?
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.