Author Topic: What does it mean when a lure rolls?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
What does it mean when a lure rolls?
« on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:41 AM »
One thing that I need clarification on...

What does it mean when a lure rolls? 

Is it like doing a barrel roll?  To me when a lure that I'm casting rolls, it's not going to catch fish.  Except for that one really aggressive fish.

Example.  A Blue Fox strobe spoon.  When you retrieve it slowly it will wobble and tail kick side to side.  You speed up the retrieve and it starts to roll.  Not a nice spinning action from a colorado spinning blade or willow or oklahoma or french or you know what I mean.  LOL.

Example.  A spinnerbait - Stanely Platinum wedge Willow and colorado.  When you retrieve it and it breaks surface.  The lure is said to roll to one side.  Then it will straighten out some until you repeat the surface break.  Sometimes I retrieve too fast and I don't want to roll.

Example.  A floating minnow lure.  Ugly Duckling minnow.  When retrieved with some speed the lure wobbles then turns on it's side and goes into a rolling pattern.  Trips itself on the surface and repeat.  This is one of the worst case scenario as I've had other lures done the same thing.  Some older Rapala's, some Matzuo, some Cotton Cordell...

Example.  Airplane jig - Northland Mini-airplane jig.  On the drop, free fall, the lure dives in a spiraling dive pattern.  That is described as a roll.  Nothing wrong with that, it what it does.  It looks like an airplane doing a dive run on ground targets to me.  Now I sometimes watch how many of my ice fishing lure does this dive roll pattern like typical jigs with plastics.

I can't remember exactly which youtube video describing some lure rolls.  I forget.  However to me, it's not a good thing.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

Now what does it mean to slow roll a lure?

Example. Spinnerbaits.  It's describe as one needs to slow roll the lure to work it effectively.  Is that where one barely retrieves the lure just enough to get the blades turning?  It's not the lure that is slow rolling it's your hands that are slow rolling the reel.

Example: Spoons.  It's described as retrieving the spoon so it's just barely above bottom that it makes bottom S wave patterns on the tail kick.  As describe as tickling the bottom.

Now the last thing I heard is rolling a lure while ice fishing jigging.  I'm completely lost in this context.  Did I just hear it wrong?

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What does it mean when a lure rolls?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2019, 05:29 AM »
All I use are lures 99% of the time open water and ice fishing. I don't read how to use any of them I just try different things until I get a bite. I think you are reading into this stuff too much. The more I read into things the less I know.
<===Lefty===

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, I guess.  I saw/heard people talking about rolling a lure as some technique to catch fish and I was wondering what if that was some gimmick technique or an actual technique.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Only rolling I have seen is when you pull a lure behind a big flasher for salmon.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I talk of roll sometimes, or at least have been lately.. now you have me worried I have been confusing people.

In my context, i am talking about an actual LURE and not a jig- specifically the rat-l-trap 1/8oz tiny trap series. I've been custom painting them and testing them on the ice and have been sharing what I have found along the way. By messing with hook and ring sizes, along with different thicknesses of topcoat I was able to get the lure to roll on the snap. As in it kicks to the side and lays over like a wounded fish- not a full barrel roll but it rolls over so to speak. Then it rights itself and falls back straight down with a side to side wobble. Thats the only time I've talked about any rolling with ice lures!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:51 PM »
I talk of roll sometimes, or at least have been lately.. now you have me worried I have been confusing people.

In my context, i am talking about an actual LURE and not a jig- specifically the rat-l-trap 1/8oz tiny trap series. I've been custom painting them and testing them on the ice and have been sharing what I have found along the way. By messing with hook and ring sizes, along with different thicknesses of topcoat I was able to get the lure to roll on the snap. As in it kicks to the side and lays over like a wounded fish- not a full barrel roll but it rolls over so to speak. Then it rights itself and falls back straight down with a side to side wobble. Thats the only time I've talked about any rolling with ice lures!

Thanks so much.  I totally understand your context of roll.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 05:53 AM »
I thought I would mention one kind of roll I do know of. It is when I am Salmon Snagging and I roll a fish. Hook hits the fish and he/she rolls side wards and the hook never digs in. You can actually feel the fish roll.
<===Lefty===

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Slow rolling a spinnerbaits or spoon just means to fish it slow and deep with a varying retrieve speed.

A lure like a crankbait rolling on it's side means it is not "tuned" correctly. The eyelet needs to be bent slightly to straighten it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.