Author Topic: Sous Vide Chicken  (Read 4210 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Sous Vide Chicken
« on: Nov 12, 2022, 11:09 PM »
My daughter's a chef/caterer in H-ton.  She came for a couple day staycation before starting a job.

She brought her sous vide machine w/ her.  We made Cajun spiced chicken breasts.  They were outstanding. After 2 hrs @ 145 F they were done to a turn.  A quick sear of both sides in a screamin hot iron skillet and time to eat!

Served w/ a cherry & feta spinich salad, rice & gravy and honey-garlic glazed carrots.

That chicken was moist, tender and flavorful.  It was nothing like the dry, tough breast meat from the oven, grill or skillet that we've all experienced.

Now I've gotta put a diy sous vide machine on my project list...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Sous Vide Chicken
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2022, 09:51 AM »
Ya, they're great....if ya follow directions explicitly. Easy way to give yerself food poisoning if ya don't
Most people don't realize a lot of restaurants do their steaks that way, then onto the grill for that quick final sear. Have a buddy that does EVERYTHING Souse Vide. Has for years, never had an issue. Another buddy tried it, got himself sicker than a dog by not using it properly. 'Course, lots of people can't cook chicken without drying it out, either. Never had that issue. Enjoy the Sous Vide! PS...from my buddy that does it, he's had a few, and I guess an Anova is one of the best out there...but they aren't cheap.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2022, 11:51 AM »
I love mine. I took a hole saw to a small cooler. It works great. You can buy cheep cuts of meat and cook them for a long time. Set the temp wherever you like and it will never get above that.
There's a bunch of info on the inter-webs on cooking times.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2022, 12:21 PM »
Good job! Perfect fit for a couple o' skwirrels TOO!  :woot:

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2022, 01:23 PM »
I just talked myself into doing a chuck roast. I picked up one in the "vintage meat" section for $7. I shook some Kinders "The Blend" seasoning on it, put it in a bag and put it in 136° water. Gonna do it for 30 hours, should be ready for dinner tomorrow. Doesn't get much easier then that. Poor man prime rib.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2022, 01:40 PM »
That's what my buddy does...and it comes out just like a prime rib. I'd love a beef roast right now, but they're $7 a lb...on sale. Too much for the wallet.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2022, 11:27 PM »
It was explained to me that time / temp data is available on the source of all knowlege, the internet.  Of course I can't remember the website we used but it should be an easy search.

Food scientists have determined that time as well as temp can make slow cooked meat safe.  There are curves published that show how long foods must be held at temps either above or below 140F, to kill the  bad bugs.

According to the site we used, our chicken had to be above 145 F for 10 min to kill the nasties.  It had to cook @ 145 F for 2 hrs to be done.

You can hold meat at temp for a long time.  It won't get over done but the texture of the meat will change.  Chicken breast will get stringy, for example.

According to my personal chef, (nuck, nuck, nuck), it is prudent to use website data and never guess.

I'm buildin' a sous vide controller from RTDS, a PID controller and a solid state relay.  I'm lookin for a used deep fryer for my "Hot Liquor Tank" because they heat faster than crock pots. 

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2022, 11:32 PM »
Reb, don't throw those squirrel heads away.  Skin 'em, fry 'em in bacon grease, use a spoon to crack 'em open and eat the brains.

A true East Texas delicacy...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2022, 08:19 AM »
Reb, don't throw those squirrel heads away.  Skin 'em, fry 'em in bacon grease, use a spoon to crack 'em open and eat the brains.

A true East Texas delicacy...

:-X

By the way...what is "RTDS"??  Rotund, tempting, delectable skwirrels?   ;D

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2022, 10:09 AM »
Reb,  You might wonder if I've ever eaten them.

Wadda ya think I'm crazy??? 

Actually the practice sorta fell out of favor when the state passed that law that every child is required to spend three years in school.  Those years could all be in the same grade but it had to be three years...  That's considered "higher education" in Polk County...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2022, 10:15 AM »
So THAT's where our politicians come from!!!  :woot:
Shorty, I actually love squirrel. Just like Bubba said, "fried, baked,broiled, grilled,sauteed, crock-potted".....
I ate one heck of a lot of those when I was a young pupster. Cheap eats, 'specially when ya live in a little ol' farmhouse way out in the deep wooded boonies, why, they come right up to yer door! Skwirrel stew over an oven biskit with the pot likker for dunkin', and a bowl o' poke salad is the finest vittles ya can wrap yer lips around!  :P

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2022, 09:01 AM »
It was explained to me that time / temp data is available on the source of all knowlege, the internet.  Of course I can't remember the website we used but it should be an easy search.

Food scientists have determined that time as well as temp can make slow cooked meat safe.  There are curves published that show how long foods must be held at temps either above or below 140F, to kill the  bad bugs.

According to the site we used, our chicken had to be above 145 F for 10 min to kill the nasties.  It had to cook @ 145 F for 2 hrs to be done.

You can hold meat at temp for a long time.  It won't get over done but the texture of the meat will change.  Chicken breast will get stringy, for example.

According to my personal chef, (nuck, nuck, nuck), it is prudent to use website data and never guess.

I'm buildin' a sous vide controller from RTDS, a PID controller and a solid state relay.  I'm lookin for a used deep fryer for my "Hot Liquor Tank" because they heat faster than crock pots.

These Sous Vide machines are quality for infusing fruit and other ingredients into booze (fruit and vodka).  I did some honey infused into some Woodford Reserve really low as to not destroy enzymes in the honey or bourbon flavoring.  Turned out pretty quality even though I like it my bourbon NEAT and don't need added flavor.  Also, so I didn't lose too much alcohol content I kept it low temp.  My next experiment is going to be pickles and some Jameson.

Enjoy folks!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:16 PM »
Never though of that...

Thanks.

Uncle Shorty
The German Cajun

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Getting soused up is fun!   :roflmao:

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Sous Vide booze??? Who'd a thunk. Time for some research...
The 30 hour Chuck Roast turned out freakin great. Mrs Brewski loves Prime Rib and she raved on how good the Chuck was. Leftovers tonight were really good too.

Offline Silvercliff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2022, 07:08 PM »
Our instapot does suse.  It's awesome!

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Jameson maybe a little too sweet to infuse pickles but it didn't turn out too bad, I drank it.  Was like a built-in pickle-back.  However, the pickles that I used during sous vide process turned out ridiculous after being soaked in Jameson and slightly heated for 6.5 hours. 

Cheers gents!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Sousvide fried chicken sandwiches are legit. Marinate boneless thighs in pickel juice, then sousvide. It will look pathetic when it comes out of the bag, but dredge in seasoned flour and/or breading and deep fry it.  You don't have to worry about cooking the chicken, just getting a good crisp on the outside. Never overcooked, never undercooked.

We mainly use sous vide for steaks, especially rib-eyes. 

I have also done venison sous vide the night before and then just reheat in a pan real quick on the ice for lunch. Dang, its good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.