Author Topic: dare devil  (Read 4690 times)

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
dare devil
« on: Feb 11, 2005, 04:14 PM »
 does enybody think that a red and white dare devil spoon would good on a jig rod for pickeral and pike.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: dare devil
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2005, 04:15 PM »
I don't know, seems like they would be balanced weird... :-\

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2005, 08:16 PM »
I've seen it done for pike. Old timers here swear by them. Some times they tip them with a minnow.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2005, 09:13 PM »
i've caught lakers through the ice on the old red/white daredevil...course then again, lakers will hit ANYTHING

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2005, 10:29 PM »
I'll give it a shot, I'm up to try anything on the dead sea to try to catch a fish!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2005, 11:14 PM »
I have never tried jigging devles. I think they might have tangle problems and be a little on the aggressive side for ice fishing, but that might be good for pike sometimes.
In open water, devles are the best spoon around. One of the top five best lures of all time in my opinion too. All trout from brookies, rainbows, browns, cutts, lakers, they all will crush an eratically retrieved daredevle. I found that mostly just reeling slow and steady, then slowing for a second and then suddently reeling fast a crank or two gives a daredevle a wonderful action in addition to that hypnotic wobble wobble. This will triple your strikes.
Bass, pike, walleye, and panfish love them too. They cast a mile, have plenty of different sizes and colors. Only thing is the hooks they come with are too dull and need replaced with a premium needle treble. Truly, one of the deadliest lures around for all fish.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I never used them thru the ice, but caught some nice rainbows on the old red & whites in open water.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:55 PM »
I have used Len Thompson spoons(similar to DareDevil-but better,in my opinion) for pike through the ice,especially in late season. Use an aggressive jigging technique(about 1.5-2 ft.lift/fall) keeping the line tight at all times with a  hesitation at the bottom. Pike will usually hit on the fall(reason for keeping line tight) or on the hesitation.Red/white or silver are good choices. If you have tulibee they will hit on these also.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2005, 05:27 PM »
seen an oldtimer put a lickin to togue using an old copper backed one tippied with sucker!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:51 PM »
I love to experiment and have all kinds of open water stuff in mind for this year.
Just added a small 'devil...  :angel

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I have caught smallies, northern of course, walleye....on devils...but thats about it....never tried them for lakers at all...(shame on me).....have tried jigging them for notherns but can't recall ever having a taker.....softwater seems to get the Reaction hit from northerns on a flutter...or very fast retrieve.....maybe I should give it a whirl this season.....Grump :tipup:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005, 07:00 PM »
Every time I read one of these post's my hut get's a little heavier.
        Jim

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:52 PM »
one of my coworkers swears by this technique he fishes different waters than i but i gave it a try last year to no avail.  He said he would drill his holes for tip ups and then drill some extra holes nearby and when the fishing got slow hed drop a daredevil, kastmaster or sweedish pimple down the hole next to his tip ups and jig very aggressively and move to the next hole he claimed that the aggresisve jigging of these flashy lures would attract pike from further away to investigate and would eventually hit his tip ups.  He also will jig with them in the shack for pike but he said he normally uses this technique more or less to attract fish to the area where his tip ups are.  Like i said though i tried it and didnt really notice any change in the bite on my tip ups and i never caught a pike on the dare devils jigging but he swears by it.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:30 PM »
We use a red and white spoon with the hook removed, for a decoy when spearing and personally, I think it is one of the best decoys.  We dont really jig it much, but just spin the line so the spoon spins.  Another idea may be to remove the bottom hook and put a short drop line on it with a minnow. 

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2005, 04:26 PM »
i wonder if you drilled a hole in the the edge and hooked it that way if it would have some sort of vertical presentation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.