Author Topic: Mr heater cooker MH15  (Read 7537 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mr heater cooker MH15
« on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a MH15C for my portable shack for heating and cooking. I know it's not rated for closed spaces so there will be plenty of venting.  So I don't ruin a few batches of fish, what setting should I have it at for frying up some perch/trout fillets? How does it react to oil that may spray over the pan? 

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: Mr heater cooker MH15
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:03 AM »
I have one and its way to much for my 2 man flip, works good in my QF3 with one window half down though.
Don't cook with oil inside! If you get any oil on the element it will smoke then a flash fire will occur filling the shack with fire in a second. Out side it will take longer for the oil to get up to temp but it will also take longer for the oil to go over temp and scorch. I'd say if your cooking with oil use a cooker and heat your shack with a heater. I tried to cook on it a few times its just way to hot even on low. i built a rack to get the pan higher but that made the thing so unstable it always fell over.
Hope this helps.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I found a video demonstrating it cooking for a tailgate party, they used a pan that was wider than the heater to avoid the splater. They had it set on medium cooking burgers and brat. I'll try it on low first for fish, and try to get a pan big enough to not worry about flare up as much. Now to narrow down the recipies to try first for perch and sunfish.... Read the perch recipe thread and had me drooling. The beer and pancake batter sounds too good to not try, otherwise breading and pan fry it'll be for the first go.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:07 PM »
I would take NY Sporty's advice.  This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Amen, Bro, especially when an old Coleman stove works so well, and is safe.

Still need lots of ventilation, but very easy to control the heat.

Ted

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Aww man, was hopeing this would be a good alternative, one less thing to haul out. So this is also too strong to to in a 6x6 portable with ventilation?  Should I return it and get a small heater and a separate stove?

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2015, 11:37 PM »
I have one of these....works great!  It is not a heater, and gets used outside.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-339/msr-dragonfly-stove/?h=10+4294966816&f=10+50035+4294966816

Weighs less than a pound, burns white gas, kerosene, or gasoline, and cooks up stuff in a hurry.

Ted

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I found a video demonstrating it cooking for a tailgate party, they used a pan that was wider than the heater to avoid the splatter. They had it set on medium cooking burgers and brat. I'll try it on low first for fish, and try to get a pan big enough to not worry about flare up as much. Now to narrow down the recipies to try first for perch and sunfish.... Read the perch recipe thread and had me drooling. The beer and pancake batter sounds too good to not try, otherwise breading and pan fry it'll be for the first go.

The heater cooker is ok to cook burgers and dogs and what not and heat the shack the element is not ceramic like a buddy heater, a little spatter from food wont hurt a thing. The problem here is you want to cook with oil and a open flame in a portable shack. Once oil is on fire it will burn on any surface even snow and ice. if the oil is scorched and smoking that smoke is flamable. I'd go with a colmen stove out side in a deep pan.
for the price I'd shell out another 25$ and get a Mr heater portable buddy heater and look for a used two burner colmen stove for cooking.
The portable buddy is so nice you can literally run it on high with the back right against your tent If you do other out door things you need this heater. I use it in my camper, hunting blind, bed room when the power was out and my truck once when I had to sleep there on a very cold night >:( don't ask... )
Thomas Harris

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I've used one for 10 years but only heated things in foil and used it to dry out my felt boot liners. Since I use a an 11 lb. tank, I use a 5' hose. If you don't pay attention you can fry your
hose and start a fire. Did it three times and duct tape will only hold so much before it blows which can make for a long afternoon when it's -20 and windy. In a small two man like mine
using that heater reduces the area of safety and comfort. In a confined area you can fry your line or your rod. Because of elevation I was informed that a Buddy Heater would not work,
but after a little patience on the initial start, it works fine and can still warm and dry things out.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Ok, guess I'll be returning it and getting the buddy jr for heating. I'll just have to hold off on cooking for a bit I understand the need to cook outside now. One of my friends has a portable stove for when I go fishing with him.  If we can get to the right spot, maybe I'll be able to have fresh red squirrel and pan fish pan fried on the ice.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:06 PM »
Ok, guess I'll be returning it and getting the buddy jr for heating. I'll just have to hold off on cooking for a bit I understand the need to cook outside now. One of my friends has a portable stove for when I go fishing with him.  If we can get to the right spot, maybe I'll be able to have fresh red squirrel and pan fish pan fried on the ice.

Best price I can find here.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1BRN2LEVVWTIC

Hit garage sales this summer and thrift stores you should find a Coleman stove cheap they keep the wind out and are stable, I have deep fried lots of stuff on them.

Thomas Harris

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Thank, I'm going to check out he price at the place I got the mh15 from, I'm going to be bringing it back.  I think they were on sale too.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Just make sure to get the Portable Buddy and not the Little Buddy.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Just make sure to get the Portable Buddy and not the Little Buddy.

2X
Thomas Harris

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:29 PM »
"maybe I'll be able to have fresh red squirrel." Yumm, it's been almost 40 years since back in W. PA that I had that!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Is only had a few, but there's no closed season or limit in my state on reds. Snowshoe hare is still open for now too.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2015, 01:00 PM »
Check out the sticky at the top of the cooking section.  The buddy heater is more than enough to cook on a small scale for 1 or 2 guys.  I can heat up frozen dinners from block of ice to bubbly and delicious in 20 minutes.  That is with the single square element not the double.  I've done sausages, beans, stew and tea/coffee on mine.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Yeah I've read through the be buddy heater cooking, but that seems more for reheating vs cooking. Like I said I want to do some pan fry fillets.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:53 PM »
I have the heater/cooker. Would never trust it with a pan of oil.. but it works good for heating up a pan of dogs or chili in the duck blind. Have never tried it on ice. Also have a coleman stove knockoff made by stansport or something like that. Works MUCH better for cooking, this one I would trust with a pan of oil.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:54 PM »
I say, "GO FOR IT"........natural selection ;D

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Like I said, my friend has a stove for cooking, I'm prob going to return the mh15c. Or if I don't I'll be using it outside if I'm cooking with it. But according to its instruction manual, it would be hard to find a spot for it in my shack without it melting the sides if I have another person with me fishing in it. So more than likely I'll be replacing it with a mr buddy heater or one of the little can topper units with the ceramic.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2015, 12:45 AM »
I used one of these for a few years, mostly as a heater in my shack.  Worked great for heating my fatfish on low. Only cooked on it a few times. You would want a heavy cast iron skillet if your going to pan fry anything. Worked just fine for boiling some brats in beer though.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I use a mr. heater/ cooker. it heats very well, and if u take care of it will give more than enough heat on low for 2 hours per 1 lb tank for a 2 man shanty.
I have never used oil, but I often cook venison in butter w/ a standard frying pan w/ it. u really have to make sure it's level and nothing is bent. but man.. nothing better than buttered back straps on a slow day of ice fishing!! one lil tip, don't just throw the frying pan on the ice when your done, hard to get it back out!  ;D
I toad a soo!

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2015, 08:32 AM »
I was looking at posts and found a few about cooking on buddy heaters.  This is what I found and it works well.  Check out the link  buddyburners.com

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I was looking at posts and found a few about cooking on buddy heaters.  This is what I found and it works well.  Check out the link  buddyburners.com
how did you find that item and know it works well (supposedly)?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.