Author Topic: Frozen fish  (Read 4532 times)

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
Frozen fish
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:26 PM »
I just found a bag of fish in the freezer from last January, I'm assuming its still good correct?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Frozen fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Not sure what the experts say, a year I think. I have a 6 month rule. At 6 months they get pickled and eaten ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:01 PM »
I pack mine in water and they are good for a few years. It stops them from getting freezer burnt. They seem to taste just as good as the day I caught them.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:06 PM »
to me, fresh (especially trout) is best......next best thing is vacuum sealed.....after a year they become fox bait ...but there usually isn't any left.....lol,,,,

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:54 AM »
Freeze in water and they last for years.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:12 PM »
We just had 2 yr old crappies for dinner & they were just as tasty as any other we've had(food saver) ;). If there's freeze burn you may be able to salvage them.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:38 PM »
We just had 2 yr old crappies for dinner & they were just as tasty as any other we've had(food saver) ;). If there's freeze burn you may be able to salvage them.

Food Saver is the way to go. Last year I found a pack of crappie in the bottom of the freezer that was 4years old that tasted great.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I always add water when I freeze my trout, then smoke them in the spring. They don't last long. Taste to good.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:52 AM »
I think they'd be ok as long as you didn't thaw them out and refreeze them.  I'd thaw them out and try one and see what you think then.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Cat food ...go out and get some fresh ones....food saver is the way to go in the future ...that and a sharpie 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:26 AM »
I've done the freeze in water in zip locks and it works great, but you get a big block of ice. I bought a cabelas commercial vacuum sealer that can do liquids. Works even better. Here's a tip with doing that though. Filet your fish, LEAVE THE SKIN ON, put the two filets together with the skin facing outward. Add a little water as well. The skin and water will help protect against freezer burn.

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:27 PM »
just vacuum seal them - they last for years....  even though I eat them fast. I have packs in the bottom of my chest freezer that were several years old and still tasted like they were days old. No problem if you vacuum seal them. A little trick I use is fold half a paper towel and stick it flat in the bag above the fish and then vacuum seal it. It collects any moisture that may come up and try to ruin your seal. Perfect every time.
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:50 PM »
You guys struggle with freezer burn?

Double wrap,with stretch tite into a freezer bag. Never have had any burn at all.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Foodsaver, with ziploc brand vacuum bags, never had a freezer burn issue, just had fish 345 days old.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I did a sort of experiment with this some years ago with salmon. I took 3 fillets and wrapped one in saran wrap, put another in a ziplock bag filled with water, and the third one was vacuum sealed. I took them out of the freezer a year later. The fillet that was just wrapped in saran wrap was inedible. The fillet frozen in water was partially freezer burned but was semi edible. The fillet that was vacuum sealed was still borderline fresh with no freezer burn. I ate the vacuum sealed fillet and threw the other two away. So from that I learned that a well vacuum sealed fillet will last the longest.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Fish around here usually is eaten right away and is never froze, but the few that are kept are frozen in water.
We find it keeps them nice and fresh for a good long time. ;D

If you have fish in the freezer and it don't look or smell freezer burned, it should be OK. ;)

WW

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:58 AM »
yup, freeze in water (milk cartons work good) squeeze all the air out and you'll never need a vacuum sealer.

Offline adam1416

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:12 PM »
If its meat and it frozen... two years. not going to vouch for quality, but sure its safe.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:01 AM »
Freeze in water and they last for years.

X2..   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:04 PM »
I freeze my fish in butter milk.  It helps protect the fish and it marinates the fish as it thaws.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:05 AM »
I also do the water never have freezer burn taste great a year later

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.