Author Topic: Buddy Heater Cooking Experts  (Read 18215 times)

Offline Bladik

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buddy Heater Cooking Experts
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:32 PM »
i make grilled cheese with ham turkey or whatever i have handy butter the bread add cheese and meat wrap with aluminum foil make sure to leave a little extra foil to hang it on the front of the heater flip once during cooking and there it is   i also got a jetboil make ramen noodle soup in under 5 minutes there you go soup and sandwich just like the diner

^that is how we do it, nothing beats a piping hot ham and cheese sammy when your starved and your hands are a bit cold.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:33 AM »
I may be stating the obvious, but the sticky at the top of this page, is worth a long hard look. lots of good ideas there.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:18 PM »
Grilled hot ham and cheese with tomato soup
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:03 AM »
I may be stating the obvious, but the sticky at the top of this page, is worth a long hard look. lots of good ideas there.

I've read the sticky at the top of the page, that pertains to modifying the buddy heater to heat food on. This thread is intended to go more in depth as to what people are cooking on their modified heaters.
You can't catch fish in the parking lot.

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:25 PM »
This week was a good week. My wife made a large batch of the mac and cheese that is on the side of the valveeta box, she also made a large batch of chili. So I took a spoonful of mac and cheese and put that in the center of the loaf pan then topped it off with chili. It was an odd combination but I liked it.

Offline bradkeskey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:56 PM »
We ate about 3lbs of honey baked ham on houghton lake saturday. I think some close shanties were wondering what the hell was going on that ham was warm and cooked up perfectly

We were just North of you on Higgins this past weekend, cooked up some pork and sauerkraut on my buddy. Was awesome!!!  Love the Buddy cooker.  I'd post pics but I can't figure out how.

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:54 PM »
I was thinking of having my wife make funeral sandwiches for leftovers on the ice. I love them when she makes them and I think they would be great on the ice.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I was thinking of having my wife make funeral sandwiches for leftovers on the ice. I love them when she makes them and I think they would be great on the ice.
Um...... what is a funeral sandwich?
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:36 PM »
Its a Ham and Cheese variant that uses Hawaiian rolls and they get brushed with a concoction of butter, worchestershire sauce, and some other stuff. There's recipes if you google it.

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Ah ok. Sounds pretty good.  ;D
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline mnduckngoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I really like to order a dominoes pizza the day before going fishing, eat half and toss the other half in the fridge. put it in the truck in the morning and it will be nice and cold when you get to the lake. toss one piece at a time on the buddy cooking grate with the buddy on medium, rotating the piece quite frequently. continue until top of pizza is warm. usually takes about 5 minutes. the crust becomes very crispy and delicious.

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2015, 01:01 AM »
Funeral Sandwiches: Nothing To Mourn About Here!
Prep time:  5 mins Cook time:  15 mins Total time:  20 mins
Serves: 8

Ingredients
1 package (12 ct) of King's Hawaiian Rolls
½-1 lb. ham deli meat
Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
½ cup butter, melted
3 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs mustard
2 Tbs brown sugar
dash of onion powder
Instructions
Cut each roll in half, lengthwise and place bottom halves on the bottom of a baking pan.
Layer bottom half with ham slices and cheese and place the top half back on.
In a bowl, Mix together the butter, Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar and onion powder. Pour sauce over sandwiches, drenching each one. Cover tightly and marinade anywhere from 4-24 hours. Overnight works best!
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered,or until cheese is melted and bun tops are a bit golden.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2015, 05:04 AM »
Sounds pretty good puddy  ;)2

I will have to give that a try.

WS

Offline buddy396

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:49 AM »
gotta  love them hawaian rolls....get um at wally world  ;)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:31 AM »
I try and get absolutely as little as possible from Wal-mart. I support small town, local businesses when ever possible.

gotta  love them hawaian rolls....get um at wally world  ;)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:42 AM »
I am going to try Chicken Alfredo Penne this season... 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Buttonbuckslayer!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2016, 07:56 PM »
I try and get absolutely as little as possible from Wal-mart. I support small town, local businesses when ever possible.
Well that's a strange thing to cook on your buddy heater?

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Little smokies with some bbq sauce in the loaf pan, I bought a camping fork at Walmart that I keep in the flip over.  You can put these on early and let them cook / heat up until you are hungry.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Finally getting some ice forming around us, got a pile of tins from the dollar store and plugged in the spare fridge. Any other gourmet buddy heater recipes I should try out?
My personal favorite is Hawaiin sweet roll breakfast sandwiches.
Take a roll of sausage make it 1/2" thick in a pan, cook off (I perfer chorizo). In another pan cook eggs with peppers, salt and pepper to flavor. Cut sweet rolls in half, put bottoms in a tin, then the sausage, the cooked eggs, I add colby jack cheese, top buns, then glaze with a 50/50 mix of butter and syrup. I stab holes in the lids when cooking to cook glaze on.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:38 PM »
HIGH JACK ALERT
I went to the local dollar store and bought a wire frame used for roasting turkeys standing up in the oil cooker. It cost a dollar. I slid the one part into the framework after bending it 90 degrees. I slid it through the round wire grating on the top of the Mr. Heater and now have a great one  place 5"grill to cook on.

Hot ham and potato soup with celery and onion and spice it up.

Bone appetitto
Thread killer

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:06 PM »
HIGH JACK ALERT
I went to the local dollar store and bought a wire frame used for roasting turkeys standing up in the oil cooker. It cost a dollar. I slid the one part into the framework after bending it 90 degrees. I slid it through the round wire grating on the top of the Mr. Heater and now have a great one  place 5"grill to cook on.

Hot ham and potato soup with celery and onion and spice it up.

Bone appetitto

Pics?

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Hot pockets today - super easy just use aluminum foil to heat up

I also use the loaf pans - brought out leftovers - potatoe and burger mixture - my son asked where was the hot sauce I just laughed.

I carry paper plate and plastic forks also, they all come back with us. It is almost a challenge what to bring. It makes it part of the trip

Offline oldsCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 29, 2017, 07:42 PM »
Frankly I am agahst ! I was prepared to see every other recipe a fried fish variant ! I am a firm believer in eating fresh fish on the ice. I bring my frying pan, oil, a big ziplock with my breading mixture, a garbage bag for the guts and my filet knife. I make a pot of coffee from my percolator and  have that always available. Run and gun ? Some days. Other days I am content to sit and drink coffee and try to catch a couple eaters and listen to the vikings kick butt.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I've done premade chicken quesadillas wrapped in alum foil that just need warmed up. Dip in some salsa and good to go. Sour cream if want. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.