Author Topic: Just getting my start.  (Read 6704 times)

Offline fairplay

• IceShanty Rookie
Just getting my start.
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Hello, everyone.  Not exactly sure where (or if) most people introduce themselves, but I'm Tommy, I wanted to take a moment to thank this community for being such a cool resource for me.

I decided to jump in (hopefully not literally!) with both feet about a month ago, and this site has made learning the very basics a breeze.  YouTube was also pretty helpful with what I haven't been able to exactly visualize, but far and away, searching on here has been the absolute best "recruiter" ice fishing has on the internet.  You guys seem to have a blast, and my brother and I have been chomping at the bit for a while, now.

So, now that I have my tip-ups rigged, auger, spud and safety equipment in hand, I'd like to ask... If you assume I've been reading a lot on here, and have the VERY basic equipment and safety knowledge down pat (in theory, at least), what would you tell me as a first-timer that I might not have found in in all the "help-me-i'm-new" threads?  Even if it's something silly, or not really a big deal, or just something you wish someone told you before you went out the first time, I'm interested in your last minute sage wisdom.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Offline Cooey22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Just getting my start.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:04 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty :tipup:

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:41 PM »
Welcome! You’re off to a good start by joining the site.

#1 NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE!
#2 Dress warm and try to go with an experienced ice angler!

Wet things in temperatures below 32* freeze. Sometimes it’s water on your line. Sometimes it’s your gloves. Sometimes it’s your tipiups in the hole. Sometimes it’s your sled or shack. The list goes on. I know that seems obvious but I believe many of us seem to not think about it until something is frozen to the lake or your gloves are rock solid.

Another thing is make sure you read and understand ALL local and state regulations pertaining to the waters you fish. Species limit numbers, season dates (so you don’t keep out of season fish), regulations like the number of lines and hooks (<——-big one, it’s usually different from state to state). Some guys don’t think much about laws and regulations and get upset when people try to tell them that what they are talking about is unlawful. It’s guys like that that ruin the sport for the rest of us. Which leads me to my next tip... don’t listen to those guys. As an angler, it’s our responsibility to abide by the regulations. We literally pay for those regulations when we purchase our fishing license.

Next, garbage in - garbage out. Don’t leave the ice a mess (bait is ok, dead minnows and such, but not bait containers). Bring a small receptacle to store you’re garbage.

Bring a pair of hemostats for hook removal and if you are fishing pike they make jaw spreaders for real cheap and they come in very handy (a necessity in my opinion, I won’t tipup fish without them).

Make a checklist of gear the night before to bring out with you on the ice. You will soon learn how easy it is to forget stuff, especially when packing light. I always seem to forget my scoop or my cleats....

Give yourself enough time to safely get off the ice whether that be late ice when ice can melt quickly in the warm wind or if it’s dark and you need light to see.

Always bring a light source. A flashlight, headlamp, lantern. Something. A cell phone light even works in an emergency.

Be gentle with your auger. Don’t bang the blades onto the ice. Don’t lend it out either. Other people ALWAYS have a knack for screwing up your auger blades... You’re brother would probably be ok especially if he is learning too. REMEMEBER... even if an auger blade is too dull to cut the smallest amount of ice, it is still plenty sharp enough to cut your finger off. Respect your auger blades. You could literally kill someone with them if you were hapahazard enough. Razors.

Invest in quality gear. Whatever your price range is. Whatever the gear is. Shop around a bit, read some reviews, and find a deal. Then, learn how to properly use it. A $10 dollar item that you know inside and out will benefit you more than a similar $100 item that does the same things.

If you’re pulling a sled, put a long pull rope on it. Like at least 6’-8’. Not only does it make it easier to drag, it distributes your total weight load (you + gear) more across the ice.

When on early and late ice (and thinner ice in general), when not alone, walk single file with the leader using a spud bar to check ice thickness (if alone, you are the leader, bring a spud). Not only does it distribute your groups total weight (a few guys fully loaded with gear can easily push 1000 pounds no problem), it makes sure that everyone in your group is traveling on safe ice. If it held the first guy, chances are extremely likely it will hold the remaining line of guys. Spud in front of where you want to walk, not at your feet. If you are spudding the ice you are directly standing on, that defeats the purpose of the tool. You want to know when ice is unsafe BEFORE you step on it. Not after, rendering your spud useless and your day ruined or worse... This paragraph applies to all ice anglers, amateur to professional. We seem to lose a few legitimate Ice experts a year the last few years the way the ice seasons have been unseasonably warm.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head and I’m sure I covered some things you’ve read up on and are prepared for. Hopefully, more will chime in soon. Good luck this season and stay safe guys!

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:08 AM »
welcome  and i hope you enjoy very good infromation to be gotten from here enjoy like i do

Offline fairplay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts.  Although I don't have a sled, yet, if I do start using one, I'll remember the long rope length... never thought about that.  I'll keep in mind about spudding far out in front of where I'm walking, too.  I should definitely do the checklist, too.  It amazes me what I'm capable of forgetting.  And holy cow, that auger blade is sharper than I thought!  I knew in the back of my mind that it was sharp, but went and took a closer look after I read your comments, and that sucker ain't no joke.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:54 PM »
always remember there is no such thing as safe ice.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:31 AM »
Thanks for all the thoughts.  Although I don't have a sled, yet, if I do start using one, I'll remember the long rope length... never thought about that.  I'll keep in mind about spudding far out in front of where I'm walking, too.  I should definitely do the checklist, too.  It amazes me what I'm capable of forgetting.  And holy cow, that auger blade is sharper than I thought!  I knew in the back of my mind that it was sharp, but went and took a closer look after I read your comments, and that sucker ain't no joke.

Anytime man! Yeah, those auger blades are no joke, you nailed it! Just be conscious of their sharpness and your hand placements and you’ll be alright. They would be great for an impromptu shave if you were ever lost and didn’t need a beard lol.

always remember there is no such thing as safe ice.

This really should have been my number 2. Thanks Spoof for bringing this up. See, it’s easy to forget even the important things. Much more important than forgetting your ice scoop lol. Just plunge the auger through the hole a few times and enough slush should come out to be rather fishable. There is no such thing as “safe” ice. I put safe it quotes because the ice on a frozen body of water can be extremely unpredictable and even the most experienced ice angler can’t predict the safety of ice. This is, however, where fishing with an experienced ice angler (or reading up on great tips, not as good as first hand experience but it’s definitely better that going in knowing nothing. I commend you on gaining knowledge before hitting the ice) can help tremendously. I tend be a big stickler on safety in general. I’ve seen too many people do stupid, unnecessary, actions that can result in fatal conclusions. Not worth it man. Trust your judgment even if it’s little judgement. I’f something on the ice doesn’t feel right and you feel unsafe, get off the ice.

If i think of anything else I’ll post it lol.

Also, what all do you have for gear and what species do you plan on targeting?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.