Author Topic: Cordless drill care  (Read 1409 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cordless drill care
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I just got back from fishing all day in the rain, and am drying out my cordless drill as best I can. It always has snow on it, and gets wet every time. I am assuming in the long run this will cause problems. I have heard that people that leave their auger chucked up in the drill sometimes can't get the two apart at the end of the season. Does anyone have a proven solution for anti rust? I remember a product recommended here in the past, but have not been able to find it.

:tipup:

Offline SUSHI MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cordless drill care
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:55 PM »
The best prevention is to take apart the drill when you get home an wipe it down as soon as possible and keep it off the snow/ice when not using it in the field. (I put mine in the Sled).  Maybe putting it in a bag of rice will dry it out better.  If already rusted then penetrating oil to the rusted chuck and let it sit for a day then work it free may help.

There is a rust inhibitor called "Rust Stopper" found at auto parts stores Website says it is available at NAPA auto parts.  That may help with rust prevention on the chuck.  Main thing is to keep your drill dry as much as possible when using it.  Especially the batteries.

Hope that helps.
"A man's home is his castle....but his shanty is his sanctuary"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Just ty a plastic grocery bag around drill, keeps all rain and snow out of drill, does not hamper use !!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:06 PM »
yep, menards bags are the best/thickest. slip one handle over the chuck, bring the bag over the rest of the drill and use the last handle of the bag over the aux handle. just put a few twists in the loops of the bag before slipping it on. takes up the loop slack of the bag.
if you use the ice master slip the bungee over the heel of the drill and your set other than the chuck is unprotected. i use gibbs on that area.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Rust stopper is great! I got a can- it seems like there is something solid inside- it clunks when you shake the can, and it is pretty good sized, not a rattle ball. Anyway, put it on the chuck, and looks perfect after about a month of 2-3X/week use. No oily film or mess, like when I hosed it in WD40 every trip.

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:48 PM »
ACF-50, look it up.  The absolute best protection.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.