Author Topic: Vented stove  (Read 1508 times)

Buster

Vented stove
« on: Dec 25, 2003, 01:05 PM »
I'm in the process of building a sleeper fish house and need to find a good stove to heat it. i was just wondering if anyone knows who makes a good stove.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Vented stove
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2003, 01:53 PM »
i would consider a vent-free propane wall hung unit....... just hook it up to a 20# cylander thru the wall. fer the size you would probably need it would only be about $200 er so.

Melbs     :'(

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I wouldn't use a vent free heater in any house that you might sleep in. You might look at nu way heaters,.i got mine from Northern tool. the outside gets HOT though,..has 3" vent pipe,..I did get a 3" damper as it draws more than enough draft and thus some heat,..also can close it down when you have it off,.you can easily tell if the damper is shut but don't forget to open it anyway when its running,..PS I would always have a CO2 detector in the house too.

Mille_lacs_eye

« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:26 PM »
I would definatly go with a vent free.
I have a 10,000 btu vent free in my 8x12 on mille lacs
and it is more than enough heat.
also they are very easy to install, and are 99% efficient.
I got mine at fleet farm for about $125.00.
A co detector is always a good idea, so is a window cracked open. :'(

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2003, 02:23 PM »
I agree that with a few minor safety precautions that this can be a good, safe way to go. many people even use these in the house as heating. either way.... a good CO detector is smart weather its vented or not!!!

Melbs           :'(

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2003, 03:50 PM »
Gotta have the co2 detector. Gotta vent it as well, if you heat it or not. We had a guy croak in a tent out here in the winter. No heater, but did not open the flap. Condensation formed on the inside of the fabric, froze, and he suffocated like he was in a balloon.  :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2003, 05:00 PM »
I'm still not crazy about non vented stoves. For one thing they produce a LOT of moisture. I know they are not allowed by the  building inspector here for houses. Yes most have a safety low o2 shut off themocouples like Little Buddy heaters but the air has to be pretty rare for them to shut off,..and you get a lot of fumes (some people can't smell them or are not bothered by them,..but I can really tell when one is on. A detector is a great idea but not fool proof either,..btw in my 16 x 20 shed I have both,..I use both the non vented and vented to to warm up the place if I'm going to be working out there for a while,..when I get there I open the big doors for a full 5 minutes and sure a lot of heat escapes but I have so much stuff in side (mass) that when I close the doors and the vented heater takes over the heating ,.it warms up fast,..when I open the doors on a very cold day, a LOT of "steam" comes out from the ventless combustion,..OH I wanted to say,..once I only left on the ventless heater  (the place is pretty tight)  planned on letting it heat up for 3-4 hours  before I went out,..a friend came over and we walked in to get him something he wanted to borrow,..BOTH of us came VERY close to passing out,..in a few seconds we were so woosy we hardly made it to the door  (windy day and it shut behind me) both of us had a vicious headache for half the day. The point is,..the CO2 alarm never went off!!!  Maybe a bad sensor but I got rid of it and got two more,..but Also much more careful. Its true that the non vented one give you a bit more heat as nothing is going up the stack but not worth it if you are going to be THERE. Again , I use the non vented ones to heat up all my junk in the shed,.once its heated I use the other. I think its counter to what I'm out fishing not not breath good air,...

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:27 PM »
1st of all.... your talking about your CO2 detector never going off.... the thing that you need to worry about is CO MUCH more than CO2. thats Carbon MONOXIDE and carbon DIOXIDE. two VERY different things. and if anyone is questionable about it.... fine... dont do it. i however would have no problems doing it with the right safety precations....... such as PROPER VENTILATION!!!!!!!!

Melbs       :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.