Author Topic: Mounting- o.k. or not?  (Read 4458 times)

TIPUPMILITIA

Mounting- o.k. or not?
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Hey. Just want to know your take on mounting fish. O.K or not. Please explain why.  ;)

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
Re:Mounting- o.k. or not?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:31 PM »
As a taxidermist my opinion is obviously biased, but as for an ethical question--I don't see a problem with it. It's not like your taking every fish in the lake and mounting it. Just as a baseball or football player would want to display his trophy so should a fisherman.
                      REB

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:20 PM »
I agree with Reb and for those who find it unethical they can always go the replica route.

NAD42

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:37 PM »
OK with me... it's your fish, do with it what you want.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:55 PM »
I like them stuffed...with peppers, onions, lemon slices, crab,
etc... otherwise they go back...after the pictures!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:05 PM »
I take picts and throw them back.  I'd hate to mount something that can be pulled back out of the water again.  Catching is the fun part, story telling is even better.

As for hunting, it is a given.  Mounted my first buck and looking for a bigger one to hang next to him.  
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:17 AM »
a picture is worth a thousand words and a hundred friendly anglers--throwing them back makes another happy picture  ;)

TIPUPMILITIA

« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Is it alright though that you are killing some of the biggest fish in the lake? :-\

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:59 AM »
This is like the anti-hunter vs hunter problem -- there is no right answer -- it is completey up to you .. You can't be catching all the big fish in the lake --if you dont keep the fish the next guy might. But a good photo is just as good, and most taxidermist can do reproductions.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 11:02 AM »
As long as the fish you decide to mount is within the state laws for the body of water you are fishing,I have no problem with mounting the fish. Yes, graphite replicas are fantastic but more expensive. It's your fish, you caught it, do with it what you please and don't feel bad
Pete Lewis

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 11:19 AM »
The way I see it, there is no better way to honor a trophy than to have it mounted. The enjoyment that you experienced that day will be remembered for years to come and possibly when you can no longer make it out to enjoy "real-time" hunting and fishing. I have a bear mount that I took on my 18th birthday (over 20 years ago)  and till this day I enjoy telling friends and visitors the details of that hunt. I also had a 22 lb Northern mounted from Canada and my very first mink that I trapped from when I was a kid.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 11:46 AM »
I feel it's OK. Then again I don't own any.

Offline Saulsa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:00 PM »
I don't see a problem with it.  As long as it is consentual most states should allow it.   ;)

Offline Tricky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Go Vikes!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2003, 01:01 PM »
I've never caught anything worth mounting, but if I did (when I do) I would probably put it back, so someone else could enjoy it. That is really honoring the fish. With more and more people ice fishing I worry that lakes could get fished out with fewer and fewer big fish.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:09 PM »
I'm OK with it. I've let a few big stripers go, but when I catch a fish that I think may be the biggest one of that species I will ever catch, I will either have it mounted or have a replica made, depending on the fish.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:39 PM »
I've always wanted a few fish on the wall for a few species.  The problem is that my standards keep getting bigger.  When is it big enough?  I once caught a 5 pound smallmouth and though about kept it.  I even revived it in my 55 gallon fish tank while I considered it's fate.  It lived in my tank for 6 months before I released it fat full of lots of feeder goldfish and minnows from my creek.  That fish was probably 5 1/2 pounds then, but I'm glad that I let it go.  It was the biggest river smallmouth that I've ever caught.  Shortly after that, I caught a Lake Erie smallmouth that went 6 pounds 2 ounces on a Normark digital scale.  I let it go too.  Why?  Because I think that some day I'll get a bigger one.  I only want one per species and I want my biggest.  I don't want a 5 on the wall and then turn around and catch a 7 2 years later.  So, the odds of me getting a 7 are much smaller than a 5 or 6, so that's my goal...a 7 on the wall.  For largemouth, it would have to be 8 or better.  For a walleye, maybe 7 or 8, don't know until I land one.  It's a feeling of what I feel like doing at the time too.  Do I have the means to keep it preserved properly or is it too much of a pain on a long trip to do it?  I'd like a huge pike or muskie...but, also, money comes down to it.  I don't have a problem with other people do it as long as they aren't keeping, eating, and mounting every 4 pound bass or 10 pound pike that they land...but again, if it's legal, it's their choice and I'll keep it to myself except in a forum like this.  Does it do the lake any good to take the old fish out?  Maybe.  Doesn't Darwin say that?  Maybe the biggest fish is at the end of it's prime anyway?  Maybe the genetics are there in it's siblings anyway?  Maybe it'll die of old age?  Maybe while it's old and fat, going to die next year anyway, eating other potential state record size fish?  Pike and muskie can eat fish nearly their own size...

Lot's of issues on this, makes for interesting reading.  I'm personally always interested in this subject and do NOT want to sound judgemental.  It's your fish, you caught it legally, good for you do what you want.  I'm only stating the argument that I have to lament over when I boat or ice such a big fish and why I make the decisions that I do.

Good luck and I hope that everyone has the opportunity soon to be in a situation where you have to make that choice! ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

grumpymoe

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:44 PM »
when i caught my first large walleye (10 3/4 lbs )i kept it in the freezer until i realized that i should have released it. other anglers were catching and keeping 14-15 lbers and while it was a nice idea to mount it, it never happened and ended up in the trash can. (too big and strong to eat) and to top it off, i forgot to get a picture- just a nice memory ::) ::)

Gillles

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:00 PM »
For the most part I'm a catch and release guy.  Although I do enjoy eating them, so annually I might keep 10 to 15 fish.  I don't have a problem with mounting fish just because in my life I might catch 10 true trophy's and that really isn't enough to hurt any population of fish.  I keep the smaller fish to eat and put the larger fish back, what ticks me off is when people keep the large fish that they don't plan to mount.  Smaller fish are better to eat why not put the quality fish back so they have a chance at growing to trophy proportions.

NAD42

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Fat Boy's posting made me think of the brown I caught 2 years ago...I already have a 6 lb. brown on the wall(which is big from where I caught it), 2 years ago I landed one that was around the 10 pound range and I let it go due to the fact that I already had a brown on the wall. But, like I posted earlier...it's for the person who caught it to decide whether or not get it mounted.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:08 PM »
There isn't anything wrong with getting a fiberglass mount.  You need to get all measurements (length, girth, weight) and several nice picture of the fish - so it can be painted.  The good thing is you get to put the fish back.  Also a fiberglass mount lasts longer than a skin mount.   Bad thing is that fiberglass mount costs more.

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:13 PM »
I can see you guys point and it makes sense. It's all up to the idividual and thed goals they set. My personal best Largemouth bass is 9lbs.14 ounces. Quite a good catch for here in NH. I let her go. My goal was and still is a 10 pounder. Some day maybe I'll reach that goal,until then it's my life long excuse to the wife for me to go fishing...:)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:43 PM »
With so many things illegal in this world, why argue about what is legal?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Mr.G

« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2003, 06:46 PM »
Well, as I read this topic I look above my computer and see my walleye hanging there and I have to think..yep, its OK to mount a fish.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:59 PM »
I used to do skin mounts. Fiberglass costs even more.  A nice 8x11 will run you $10 in a frame.  And no one will get in your face about hanging a picture on the wall. And who knows? If you catch your 10 pounder again in 2 years she may be 12 lbs.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:25 PM »
I'll be honest with you.  To each his own.  To me this is a topic that can stir alot of heat.  If you want to have a fish mounted and you want it to be the "one" you caught, do it.  If not, take a picture and measurements, and have a replica made.  Me personally, I wouldn't ever mount more than two of the same species of fish.  At least not a skin mount.  I would do one, if I got a better fish someday, that I wanted mounted I would opt for a replica by a reputable taxidermist.
t'pup!

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:56 AM »
To Each His Own for sure-

I have no issue at all with mounting fish as long as it was obtained legally from eaches own state laws.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:16 AM »
I'm with the Oldfart in that I would sooner look at a nice picture on the wall and know that the fish is still swimming. Besides mounts seem to not look so great after a few years. If somebody wants to mount one though I have no problem with it.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2003, 04:08 PM »

I've got to say that i have read no posts that have passed judgement one way or the other on this topic.  I have been in 2 situations in regards to this topic.  

The first, my buddy caught what had to be a 6 lb lm bass, I said keep it, he threw it back and we still argue to this day about it.  Two years later I caught a 18+lb Northern Pike, he said keep it and I threw it back; we don't argue about that one.  I was very worried about the northern because i did get some hooks down in the gill area, but didn't rip any.  I still wonder if that fish made it or did I do a disservice to all fisherman with that fish winding up in the shore. :-\  In the end I believe I did the right thing, by the way it was 40" long, 15" around and the biggestand best and prettiest fish I have ever caught; that is from memory.

I have pictures and i will get a mount made someday when I can afford to do that.  If you got a mount made of a 12" Walleye  would the memory of that particular fish go away, I say not.  Maybe we should mount the memorable small ones and let the big ones die of old age, we always remember the big fish.

To end this lengthy post.  Be a good fisherperson and a good person and you will never be judged wrong.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline walleye190

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • first laker
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2003, 04:23 PM »
If you are worried,, take a pic. of it and have it done that way :'(

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2003, 05:46 PM »
I read on another message board that the older larger fish do not spawn well and that you are not hurting the size gene pool by killing them. But then I could read the opposite opinion the next thread down. I like the replicate idea alot. Releasing that big daddy makes up some of my most favorite memories fishing with my sons. But damn, if I got a big walleye... naaa, I'd probably put him back down the hole. But that's just me. (glad to help) LOL.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.