Author Topic: 25yard Tp-up Spools  (Read 1785 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
25yard Tp-up Spools
« on: Nov 01, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I have been looking for some new tip-up line for the up coming season and noticed that many of the spools come with only 25 yards of line....This does not seem like a lot of line to me.

How much line do you guys usually put on your tip-up and why? I was thinking closer to 50yards as the pike like to run with the bait after grabbing and since im usually doing a 50 yard dash to get there I dont want to be spooled in the process

is 25yards sufficient?

FISHFORPIKE

Re: 25yard Tp-up Spools
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2008, 11:16 AM »
Hey icejunky.  I bought my tipups with "deep" spools so I could add the amount of line I felt comfortable with.  I use 30lb. braided dacron and fill the spools.  Prolly about 250 yds.  Now I don't have any particular reason for that, other than "feeling good about it".  I keep thinking of the day when a 50lb pike takes the minnow out to the other side of the lake.  In my experience - I very rarely retrieve more than 25 yds. from a "fish-on".
My honest opinion is a minimum of 100 yds.  The line ain't that expensive (not compared to everything else I use).

Phil

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Yes, I have noticed that too.    25 yards would normally be more then enough for me.  I doubt if I would ever need more.  However, I prefer to put on 50 yards or more.   I would hate to be spooled and line isn't expensive.  Cheap insurance for me.  Looking for larger spools of line?  450 feet (150 yards) for $10.00
http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/products/ice-fishing-line---450-ft-spool

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I have been spooled three times with 50yds on my tip ups and lost all three fish. If you can go more, I would. I would think 100yds would be enough.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2008, 08:01 PM »
the more the better, you never know when it is gonna be that huge monster
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2008, 08:10 PM »
My jack traps have a 4" spool and I usually keep at least 100 yards on them. I often fish 100 + fow in the lakes around here. Miket is right the more the better.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2008, 03:48 PM »
50 yards minimum for me.

Mason tip up line

I have been using this stuff for years. I have tried new things, but I have always went back to Mason

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Just finished spooling my 5 tip-ups with new stuff. used 1200 yds of this stuff:

Thats 240 yds. each and it makes me feel good.

On the other hand, I also did up some spares for guests that come along now and then.  None of them had more than 100yds of line on them and I can't remeber ever having a fish "spool" a tip-up.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Ice Junky,
  I think a lot depends on the species of fish you are after, lake depth ,etc. Personally I like 50 or more yards on my tipups ,so when I fish lakes of differing depths there is no problems.

Steve

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2008, 09:44 PM »
I have 2 sets of traps. I am ordering new line now. I ordered 2 spools od green dot Dacron 30# 1200 each and I'm sure I will almost use all of it. Here you never know what you are going to get on the end of your line. Be it a Salmon that can run out 100 yards like it's nothing, or a Bass that will just sit there with the bait in it's mouth, to a Pike or Tiger Muskie that will take you for a ride for a half hour. Need good line and lots of it.

Don't forget to put new Grease on your tip-ups!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.