Author Topic: what tipups should I buy?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: what tipups should I buy?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Those Noreasters love their Heritage Traps.  No disagreement there.  Seems like regional conditions rule the design anyway which is one big part of why I so enjoy the ice! 

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:11 PM »
The heritages really are great. I love mine but if you want the Cadillac and have the loot, Jack traps are the top of the heap. These 2 reign supreme in Nor east. IMO. Both made in Maine, no wonder.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:33 AM »
H.T. Polartherm. Great design and 2 spool sizes based on your needs. Round so it covers the hole. Telescoping flag. Good price. Can't ask for better. All I use and love them. Everyone will have their favorites though. But when you can get three of these for the price of a Laker or a Beaver Dam, for me the choice is easy.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:02 AM »
BD's are definitely smooth, but a real pain to spool the line back onto if the fish takes a lot or even just to pick them up at the end of the day.  Am I missing something?  Does anybody have an easy way to wind the line back onto the spool apart from spinning the top of the shaft?  The other style (whatever they're called) are much easier and quicker to wind up.

Chute82

« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2016, 03:27 PM »
BD's are definitely smooth, but a real pain to spool the line back onto if the fish takes a lot or even just to pick them up at the end of the day.  Am I missing something?  Does anybody have an easy way to wind the line back onto the spool apart from spinning the top of the shaft?  The other style (whatever they're called) are much easier and quicker to wind up.

Check out this guys idea... Going to make one

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:00 PM »
that just gave me a idea.ive got a cheap plastic guitar string tuner key winder im going to fab up to wind from the top of the tip up like the wood winder beaver dam makes.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:21 AM »
Check out this guys idea... Going to make one

That's an interesting idea, but I really don't need more stuff to carry with me :~)  I just find the other style way quicker to wind back up and get the line evenly spread across the spool.

Do you guys feel that the BD's are that much smooth than the other style?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:30 AM »
That's an interesting idea, but I really don't need more stuff to carry with me :~)  I just find the other style way quicker to wind back up and get the line evenly spread across the spool.

Do you guys feel that the BD's are that much smooth than the other style?
very  smooth and will stay smooth for 30 years or more.they are made with quality components that don't rust or freeze up.some of mine are going on over 30 years old and still icing northerns.winding them up is not a problem either.grab the top and spin the line back on the spool. 

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:00 AM »
very  smooth and will stay smooth for 30 years or more.they are made with quality components that don't rust or freeze up.some of mine are going on over 30 years old and still icing northerns.winding them up is not a problem either.grab the top and spin the line back on the spool.

Not to be argumentative, but spinning that small shaft on the top is easier said than done with cold fingers :o

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Heritage are my favorite.  But I don't use them.

I'm as cheap as the day is long, and a solid subscriber to the 80/20 rule.  You'll know you're fishing with me if you see cheap tipups and expensive beer.  Priorities, you know?  Polars all the way.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Ive never had any problems with my ht polars and icemaster golds. Ive caught everything on them. Bluegills, crappie, perch, bass, walleye, pike, and a catfish. I leave them on the lightest spin setting possible. Ive caught 6" perch on 4" fatheads before. If crappies dont feel it and drop it, big fish sure wont! Mine are 7 years old and going strong.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.