Author Topic: A Tip Up for each situation  (Read 1596 times)

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Tip Up for each situation
« on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I run HT polar tipups when the snow is not very deep. Usually early in the season on first ice. But in the late season I run heritage big bear tip ups. Do any of you have a certain type tip up for the time of season, weather conditions, type of fish you are targeting?
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A Tip Up for each situation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Yep. 

Frabil Arctic Fires for pike (both deadbait and livebait) since they don't spool off quite as freely as others.  HT Polars for crappies and perch on colder days.  Within this group there are multiple different combinations...some have gold trebles, some have bronze, some have spinners, some have jigs, etc.  Windlass for crappies and perch on warmer days.  Again, multiple combinations of hooks, jigs, etc.  Basic HT stick type for bluegills because once they trip they spool the easiest.  Igloo and Frabill thermals with some set up for deadbait, some for livebait (pike), and some for crappies and perch.

I hate having time wasted by having to re-tie stuff so I'll have back-ups for each situation.  Instead of screwing around with that sort of thing I'll just grab another one and go which means lines are seldom out of the water.  Also, if I'm targeting pike and am getting tripped by panfish I can change my focus and swap those out for other set ups.  On a typical day I'll have in the neighborhood of 25-30 tip-ups with me. 

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Absolutely! Does your wife wear the same pair of shoes everyday?  ;D

I've got several styles and sometimes it depends on my mood, sometimes on the conditions, sometimes on the species, and sometimes on what is rigged and ready for battle!

I use my Automatic Fisherman the most. Great for trout and panfish that like to grab, taste, and drop most presentations. Trout can be almost impossible on regular tipups some days. On the days they are biting and sticking, quick hooksets help with quick releases of those nice trout.

I love fishing the HT big game circle tipups when fishing big baits spread way out. They aren't always the most sensitive but pike crush those big baits and the telescopic flags can be seen from a long ways. Even further with binoculars! They also work well to leave in overnight on the lakes where that is allowed. They cover the hole nicely to prevent freezing. The flags can be set small so that nearby fisherman don't see the bite.

I also have a place in my arsenal for the HT Windlass. They can be tricky to set up and balance just right but can add some awesome action to dead bait for big pike and also work great for walleyes, perch, and trout on those lakes where live minnows aren't allowed.

And finally, the HT magnetic pop-ups are really handy. They pack up so small and are convenient for those lakes that allow 6+ lines a piece. Easy to grab and carry a rod bag with a dozen pop-ups. They can be set to work with any sized bait and since the spool is turned, even light bitters can trip them.

Hmm... I might need some more "shoes"!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:49 PM »
I use my beaver dams for everything.i just swap leader line size and hooks for crappies/perch when I plan to target them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.