Author Topic: 40UPTackle  (Read 1153 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
40UPTackle
« on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:19 PM »
 Are they good tip ups? I noticed they were very cheap but I have heard some good things on them.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 40UPTackle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I love my 40up's !!!!
had them many years and got the wife a set also. fish pike with large bait and trout with small bait. also like the fact that with them they still work in deep snow.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Been using the same five tip ups for 30 years and still work great.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I like mine... I had one that would only trip when it wanted to.  After many adjustments, it still has an attitude.  It has since been retired as it is unreliable.  The other four I have in my arsenal are great!

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:16 PM »
I have two. I like them.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:44 PM »
i have 10 and they all work great I did make 2 mods to them... 1. replaced 5 of the spools they come with with the plastic ones from heritage lakers and 2. made my own flags for all 10... 5 of which have reflective tape on them for night fishing

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:28 PM »
i have 10 and they all work great I did make 2 mods to them... 1. replaced 5 of the spools they come with with the plastic ones from heritage lakers and 2. made my own flags for all 10... 5 of which have reflective tape on them for night fishing
i had 40ups for over 30years gave mo jr. 5 and i got 10 the green ones did the above mods also put screw eyes at the top near flags to put on gumbands to hold my mono leaders from tangling under most conditions they work great high flags with mods see a mile away caveat they are hard to fold up icy conditions like today blowing wet freezing snow they are nearly indestructable and are easily modified
GOD BLESS YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:13 AM »
I am a fan of the old ones with the GALVANIZED spool.  The new ones come with a cheap ALUMINUM spool, and the little tab that trips the flag bends and can break off easily.  The ones with the big yellow plastic spool are good as well.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM »
my origional set from the 70's still work, maybe more prone to wind flags but they just work well, nice soft release.... not jerkey like a heritage style trap. i like my jack traps better but in the end they do the same thing. i have the metal spools, if doing it again would get the big yellow plastic ones

Offline Togue Chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I also have a set of 6 for 25years. Some run over by snowmobiles, they were easy to fix by interchanging parts. Never liked the plastic yellow spoils, the original metal spools lasted well. Even rigged three with black flags for snow visibility.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.