Author Topic: Freeze Proof Tip Up Line  (Read 5192 times)

Offline aplapnite

• IceShanty Rookie
Freeze Proof Tip Up Line
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I used to be a big fan of the HT Vinyl coated tip up line. It had a fairly small diameter, stayed pretty supple, and was very strong.
However, HT changed it's formula, and the new line is much larger in diameter, and much less strong. The coating even slips off of it very easily.

I tried the Suffix vinyl coated line last year, and it is small in diameter and strong. However it has too much memory and tangles on the ice really bad, unlike the old HT.

Anyhoo, I would like to know what freeze proof or resistant line I should spool this year that has the smallest possible diameter, doesn't tangle on ice, is strong enough, and fairly supple too. What are your thoughts???

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Freeze Proof Tip Up Line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 PM »
HT is garbage, Cortland is big in diameter, Berkley is big in diameter. That only really leaves the Mason "Ice-Free Plastic Coated Braided Dacron" tipup line. Almost half the diameter of the others. I use the 30lb on all my fish brother tipups and it is strong unlike the crap HT I tried. It has memory but it is just the deal with a plastic coated line. The 20lb may be thinner and have less memory, don't know only ever used the 30lb. Try a spool and see if it works to your liking. In the plastic coated lines options are limited for a thin and strong version.

I get all mine here. http://www.fishusa.com/Mason-Plastic-Coated-Tip-Up-Line_p.html

Offline aplapnite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:28 PM »
I will give it a try.

Offline aplapnite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Has anyone here tried teflon coated line?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2012, 03:57 PM »
I have used some of this before.(still am using it actually) http://www.fishusa.com/Mason-Braided-Tip-Up-Line_p.html It does not have a coating on the outside of the line like the plastic coated stuff, it is treated with teflon to help shed water, make it slide easier and prevent freezing.

I can't recall that I have ever been dissapointed in a line from Mason.

Offline aplapnite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I have used some of this before.(still am using it actually) http://www.fishusa.com/Mason-Braided-Tip-Up-Line_p.html It does not have a coating on the outside of the line like the plastic coated stuff, it is treated with teflon to help shed water, make it slide easier and prevent freezing.

I can't recall that I have ever been dissapointed in a line from Mason.

Which is better, the teflon or the plastic coated for not freezing and also memory? Does either tangle into knots when fighting fish easily?

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Freeze? How ? When in use- its under water. ???
Imo- that coated stuff is crap anyway. I use Woodstock brand, & I havent lost a fish yet.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Have used lots of different lines for ice fishing on traps and tip-ups over the past 50 years. Last year I bought green 40# kite line that someone here had posted about, and have not looked back since.

It just plain works, was not expensive at all, doesn't stretch, and is easy on the hands.

Ted

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Which is better, the teflon or the plastic coated for not freezing and also memory? Does either tangle into knots when fighting fish easily?

Plastic coated is the best for not freezing and not tying in knots. The teflon coated has far less memory and I really have not had many knoting issues with it. I would suggest getting a pack of each and trying it for yourself, what I like you may not. A lot of tipups have 50lb Spectra braid.

Freeze? How ? When in use- its under water. ???

Because the spools on all my tipups are not under water. Fish Brother and Windlass tipups have the spools above the ice.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:03 PM »
i use 40lb. heat treated dacron. the heat treatment seals most of the line from absorbing water so it doesnt freeze as bad as non heat treated dacron. cant remember the brand name but its made in howland, maine. been using this brand for years. ill never go back to the other brands. learned the hard way.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I'm with GameDog. I use the 25# chartruse line. As far as knotting up, I try to lay my line in loops on the ice as I'm fighting the fish. This helps a lot. after a little while it becomes second nature.

Offline aplapnite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2012, 05:30 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to try the Mason vinyl for my windlasses and the teflon for my polars. HT used to the be the very best. We landed pike to 35 pounds on it with no ill effects. About two or three years ago they changed the formula and now it's trash.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2012, 01:08 AM »
I use 50# Spider Wire.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2012, 05:57 AM »
I have used Woodstock tip up line for sometime now with no problems. Like mentioned before lay your line out in a circle when fighting the fish. Takes a minute to get used too. But your tangles will be reduced.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Well call me goofy but I have good luck with fly line backing.  A lot of the issue with tangles is the way you take care to lay the line out when pulling in that fish. Even the best line will bird nest if piled in a heap and the wind gets it.  I seem to find a "good side" of the hole on the back side 90 degrees to the wind.  The line has space to move away from the hole if it wants to.   I great deal of the equasion is how you play that fish up to the area of the whole and then put the fight on him. This keeps the battle on the short end of the line. I suppose I sound off but I have had good luck landing10-20 pound northerns.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.