Author Topic: best method to retrieve fish  (Read 1798 times)

Offline akj8909

• IceShanty Rookie
best method to retrieve fish
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Ok guys just wondering how you go about pulling in a fish. Ive seen people just haul em in as fast as possible and ive seen others play with em and try to tire them out.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best method to retrieve fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I try to take it easy as you never know how well you got 'em hooked. if I knew that it was solidly hooked, I'd horse it in so I could get it back in the water.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:18 PM »
just pull them in with a light grasp on the line. if they want to run let them under control. remember no give in hand lining, like with a pole. you can rip hooks out break lines and straiten hooks! 
polecat unknowingly gives a great lesson in bringing in a trophy-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDPE3td_cg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKN71z4rViLbPTdEhiLRMQQ (mid video if impatient lol)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Depending on the type of  species and how badly I need to ice a fish for lunch dictates my retrieve.  For smaller trout that taste good, just haul them in flopping fresh.  For wall hanger northerns, play them gently.  For good eating walleyes, the retrieve isn't as important as the glory dance that follows the icing.
Thread killer

Offline officercalcjc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Depends on size of the fish and type leader being used. For steel leader you can horse them in more. For fluoro you have to play them much easier.

Offline marti375

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:39 PM »
No substitute for experience,  just grab hold and try.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:29 PM »
for perch and pickeral i just rip um in, if there are trout, eyes or crappie around ill play it out best i can usually can tell soon as i set the hook what type im dealing with!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Play them out till they come to the hole vertically,  if they come sideways they are not ready.  I'm talking fishing tip ups for pike.

Offline uglyduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:37 PM »
I agree with WHYIfish. It depends on the species and other factors.  When I fish crappies I ease them up.  Bring them up to quickly and they can't swim back down.  With a Northern my only concern is not to stress the line.

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:02 PM »
some times its just luck.

There has times where I have lost fish right at the hole after having a good hook set and steady retrieve

Ive had times where I didnt set the hook and have taken my time bam fish on the ice and others where i have did the rip their lips / pulled the line in fast bam fish on the ice

river scum who steps on fish these days besides kids when they catch sunnies (in reference to the youtube clip) :P
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.