Author Topic: False flags using big shiners  (Read 3190 times)

Offline manosteel00

• IceShanty Rookie
False flags using big shiners
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:50 AM »
Hey Guys -

Any tips on how to stop getting false flags from using larger shiners?

I've been setting my Beaver Dam tipups on the heavier setting but they are still going off and it's a pain to deal with all the time.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: False flags using big shiners
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Use a  downrigger release. Attach to the base of your tip up,clip release under your reel. I've used big 12""bait  with no trouble.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Clip the tails with scissors when I use small minnows I set the flag to trip towards the base of the flag and with large I set it to trip away from the base of the flag.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:14 PM »
downrigger realize sounds cleaner, but for a cheap fix , strip a piece of duct tape 1/2 in, wide, by 1-3 in, and wrap in front of spinner to create a bigger bump to go over.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 05:20 PM »
   You might try putting plastic tubing or shrink wrap on the spinner to create more resistance.

Offline Bretty_B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:17 PM »
I place a chew can on edge a few inches in front of the spring. It puts extra upward pressure on the flag making it harder to trip. Hope that makes sense.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:36 AM »
I bite the tail fin off

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:48 AM »
rubber band trick?

how to put the rubber band on the tip up line... then hang it from the hook like in the above photo... and run the line threw the guide like I did not do... you can use varied thickness of rubber bands to use for different trip setting thought about this one day when watching my brother use these on his down rigger..   

Offline PikeChaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:31 AM »
A simple and easy trick that someone showed me years ago has worked fantastic when I'm using bigger live bait for pike. I save all of the green "airbag" rubber bands from the bait shop that they use to close the bags off, and put those green rubber bands on the heavy-trip side of the tip up, they basically slide right into the gap that's already there, and then just put he flag right behind the rubber band. This effectively doubles the amount of pressure that it takes to set off the flag. Just enough that the bigger live bait can't trip it on their own, but a fish has no problem setting off the flag. If you don't have any saved up, I'm guessing you could probably just offer any bait shop a couple of bucks for a handful of them. Simple but effective.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:30 PM »
 I just wrap a rubber band around the bottom of the tip up.. up right... then insert a small loop from the running line ( the bigger the loop the more tension) from the spool into the rubber band... large baits cant pull the loop out from the upright but a large Laker or pike has no such issues..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Tape on the trigger mechanism...  simple, and easy to eliminate when using smaller bait.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Another trick is using an empty water or pop bottle filled partially with lake water. I use 20oz bottles. I lay them down sideways on the ice with the end of the flag resting on the side of the bottle. This also puts upward pressure on the flag against the post.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Another one for biting/clipping the tails off. Quick and easy

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Get some tip ups that you can control the tension on the spool! IE Heritage lakers.... Best way to do it!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Clothes pin ziptied below the spool.  Then open it and put the line in.  Works great.  Or buy some Indian Hill traps.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

CowDawg

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:38 PM »
x's 2 on the clothes pin technique. Works just like the down-rigger release!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:31 AM »
One wrap of electrical tape on the flag trigger worked for me. I used shiners up to 10.25" this year.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.