Author Topic: Beaver Dam quality  (Read 5769 times)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Beaver Dam quality
« on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:05 AM »
What do you guys think? Are the new dams still smoother than any other trap on the market? Thinking of getting six new ones, or trying to locate some older ones on EBay. Right now, I use HT Predators and Frabill round thermals in black. Want to buy a set that will outperform them for a long time to come. Thanks for chiming in, Joe

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beaver Dam quality
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I have both but gravitate to the old ones.  I get them on ebay too when I come across them at the right price.  I kinda like refurbishing and customizing  them as a hobby (I have 8 of them underway right now) and get a kick out of fishing them when they are done.  The design hasn't changed much over the years but it does seem to me like the components on the old ones are better quality or were made of heavier materials.  I don't know if they necessarily fish better than the new ones but old ones are my preference.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 09:05 PM »
I second that! The old ones seem to be better to me as well. I always search CL or garage sales for them but refuse to get new ones, at one point between my dad and I, I think we had over 30 of them yet can't stop looking for the darn things. LOL As far as if Uncle Josh has done anything different with them since they bought, not sure.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I needed to purchase 6 about a year ago and needless to say received a few "dogs" in those 6. Beaver dam/ uncle josh quickly remedied the situation including line. Excellent customer service..

Beaver dam is still tops in my book.  :tipup: :tipup:
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2015, 08:22 AM »
I needed to purchase 6 about a year ago and needless to say received a few "dogs" in those 6. Beaver dam/ uncle josh quickly remedied the situation including line. Excellent customer service..

Beaver dam is still tops in my book.  :tipup: :tipup:

Good to hear

WS

Offline donzov

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2015, 09:44 AM »
    Stick with the old ones. I bought two new ones at the end of last season, rigged them up and stored them for the summer. When I got them out this season the lube had ran out of them causing the stickers to wrinkle and come partly off.
    I contacted them and they said that I shouldn't have stored them upright and that I could re lube them myself.
    My old ones have never had this happen in the years that I've had them and I got them at a yard sale so I have no idea how old they are.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:09 AM »
I run both new and old. they all work great.i like the newer style because they can be lubed up a lot easier than sodering and resodering the spool back on.all of mine work flawlessly and will be in my family a very long time.few parts  are different material but they aren't made of cheap junk either.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:40 AM »
I run both new and old. they all work great.i like the newer style because they can be lubed up a lot easier than sodering and resodering the spool back on.all of mine work flawlessly and will be in my family a very long time.few parts  are different material but they aren't made of cheap junk either.

Quick question please.  I have an old one and the spool came off. Do you solder it on with 50/50 solder, 95/5, or  brazing rod, or something else? Than you, Chris.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Quick question please.  I have an old one and the spool came off. Do you solder it on with 50/50 solder, 95/5, or  brazing rod, or something else? Than you, Chris.
im not exactly sure my solder roll doesn't have a label on it  any more but its just plain old silver solder.same stuff I use on the connections on electric guitars.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2015, 01:00 PM »

This is what I use

WS

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Looks like 95/5 solder and flux. Same stuff for copper water lines. Thanks guys.

Offline Big_Mel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:32 PM »
I love the old ones. Maybe it was cause my first three where hand me downs when grandpa past. But newer ones don't' have the same feel to them. Some labor of love with the wire brush wheel and they look like new..

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:12 PM »
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:32 PM »
How much Mason style line can a new style BD hold in 20 & 30# test? Thanks for all the input guys. :bow:  Is there a story behind the Jolly Rodger style?

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:51 PM »
I think the quality of the new ones are very nice and is worth the extra money over other brands! :thumbsup:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:28 AM »
I like the old ones too. I took a set and sent them in to my gunsmith shop and had them hydro dipped. New flags, new decals and added hook keepers.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:48 AM »
while I was waiting for good ice I went thru them cleaning and regreasing the stems ,and sanded and cleared the boards.
gave the spools a fresh coat of antique gold paint, rewound the line some fresh some just end for end.
these are as good as new, and will last longer than the plastic ones IMHO
I dont mind doing a little maintence here and there keeps me in touch with my gear.
kind of like cleaning and shooting your rifle before season .
as for quaility   Tops  old or new
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Just picked up a six pack of new ones. Thanks for all of the help guys. Two of the six have nuts on the bottom to grease the spools. Thinking about returning them and having all of the set be the solder type. They seem a bit better quality to me. Thoughts?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:14 PM »
You'll not regret it.  Interesting though... I thought all of the new ones going back a few years had the threaded rod and nut setup.  I didn't know they were turning out new ones that had spools soldered on.  Enjoy!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:03 PM »
You'll not regret it.  Interesting though... I thought all of the new ones going back a few years had the threaded rod and nut setup.  I didn't know they were turning out new ones that had spools soldered on.  Enjoy!
I agree, thought all the new ones were threaded. To me, the threaded ones defeat the idea of a classic Beaver Dam.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:06 AM »
when I got 3 jolly rodger beaver dams 2 had the old parts and 1 was with the newer parts.i emailed uncle josh company and the president of the company said they still had bins of the old style beaver dam parts and they were going to use them till gone.and some older style beaver dam tipups were still in circulation.

Offline Tripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:51 AM »
  I just picked up a couple new ones. Mine have what appears to be a set screw on the side of the real that holds it in place.  Has anyone ever dealt with there customer service department? I ordered mine online and one of mine has a damaged shaft. Been in contact with them, but not resolved as of yet.  :tipup:

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2016, 01:24 PM »
Ive contacted them a time or two with questions and they responded right away even though I wasn't spending money.  Good Luck.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:57 PM »
 I believe the uncle josh/beaver dam company will take care of you.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:11 PM »
Beaver Dam Tip ups. 

Crazy to think that some dude over 50 years ago came up with a design of a tip up that is still the standard in today's day and age.  That in itself is just crazy.  You would think that with all the technology that exists today, that we could set a line in the water and have the Iphone set the hook for us when tension is present.  I would venture to say that the Beaver Dam tip up is the greatest invention in the ice fishing industry, right next to Dave Genz.  Maybe I'm biased, as I know the dude that is still in charge of making all the BD tipups in Beaver Dam, WI.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I just used mine for the first time this weekend.  Very pleased!  Great tip ups.  Caught perch, wall eyes and smallmouth on them.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2016, 11:14 AM »
I just spoke to a rep at Uncle Josh about this.  He said that the new ones are threaded with a nut.  He said that if you get one that is soldered, it is an older one that has been sitting on a shelf for a while.  I like the new ones because you don't have to worry about soldering when you regrease them.  I just wish they had a damn crank handle on the bottom of the spool like the Frabills do.

Offline Limbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Nothing off the shelf beats The Arctic Fisherman!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I agree, thought all the new ones were threaded. To me, the threaded ones defeat the idea of a classic Beaver Dam.

You guys in-love with the old soldered end sound like the old British motorcycle guys that said
 "if its not leaking oil on the floor it's not a real BSA, Norton or Triumph".
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.