Author Topic: Smoked gills?  (Read 6627 times)

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Smoked gills?
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:32 PM »
How do you guys think a bluegill would be smoked?
Any recipes for your brine?
Catching Any?

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smoked gills?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Followed i am interested too. I have to build a smoker first lol on the lest of projects

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:42 PM »
generally fish to smoke has a high oil content such as salmon, whitefish or mackerel.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I cooked/ smoked some the other day.I made them in parchment paper.I kept it real simple. I put 6 fillets salt pepper on a piece of parchment paper a dab of butter folded them in the paper to form a tent smoked for 1hour 250 degrees. Turned out good but not smoke cured like salmon or trout in brine.

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:41 AM »
I have tried smoking them and making jerky out of them, neither worked well for me.
Ches.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:49 AM »
You can add smoke flavor to fish ...for a mild flavor of smoke to thinner fillets . Recommend fruity or sweet woods ...apple ,maple, alder etc...stay away  from oaks and mesquite . Like was said your oily fish is the best bet for true smoking .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 12:56 PM »

I suspect they would tend to be dry with a somewhat "stringy" texture. They are a very lean fish and lack the fat/oil content in their flesh that Trout and Salmon do but it doesn't hurt to experiment. Try just a few first, that way you won't ruin a batch of otherwise excellent eating filets!

And... there's a bazillion brine recipes online. Do a little homework a pick out a few to try.

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I have smoked a lot of fish and other things as well; but not gills. As stated oily fish are a better choice, as are stocked trout which have little flavor in my opinion. Gills are one of the tastiest pan fish; personally I wouldn't spend the time and effort to detract from the flavor.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:32 PM »
 Anyone try making a spread or log. I have a pile of delicate gill fillets. Thinking of some type of whipped cream cheese + ? Did a search on this and came up empty. Sorry, don't want to highjack your topic. Any ideas?

Offline pgachef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Basic brine
3 cups hot water
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 kosher salt
mix everything together and chill to around 40 degrees

If I was going to do it I would gut the fish wash really good then brine over night. put the whole fish in smoker when done you can just peel the skin off and then the meat from the bones. It will stay nice and moist that way.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I would think if you were going to smoke gills, a water smoker would be the best bet.

WS

Offline gillinator1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Gills are great smoked! I really like crappie too.

The 3 Men's Fish Smoking Process

http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/file/garden/storage/The%203%20Men%27s%20Fish%20Smoking%20Process.pdf

Offline gspman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:52 AM »
My Grandpa did them with a little cjief smoker when i was a little kid. We all thought they were a treat when they were done.
Not sure why i have not done any! Think i am going to fix that issue.

He did them whole with the heads removes and guts cleaned out. I think any fish brine would do

Offline IlliniIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:24 PM »
Anyone try making a spread or log. I have a pile of delicate gill fillets. Thinking of some type of whipped cream cheese + ? Did a search on this and came up empty. Sorry, don't want to highjack your topic. Any ideas?

i make fish salad or spread out of walleye, sauger or crappie filets. dont know why bluegills wouldnt work
poach the fish in water in a skillet. dont overcook
let fish cool, flake and mix with diced celery, onion, red pepper and pickle (sweet or dill). add mayo (use real mayo, light or diet types are too watery). season with salt n pepper, dash of lemon juice and i add a little old bay and/or some herbs, too, and fold together
really good on crackers, lettuce or i sometimes make sandwiches

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I have smoked gill, Crappie N perch fillets. Many times. I don't have my brine recipe handy. But I will pm it to you tomorrow. I personally hate the taste smoked oily type fish. Like trout, salmon or blue fish. Its too fishy. You will love my recipe.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I have smoked gill, Crappie N perch fillets. Many times. I don't have my brine recipe handy. But I will pm it to you tomorrow. I personally hate the taste smoked oily type fish. Like trout, salmon or blue fish. Its too fishy. You will love my recipe.
Can you send me your recipe id like to try it too....thanks
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline LAYKLOVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Could you pm me that recipe too? It sounds really good.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:12 AM »
What is a water smoker?
Catching Any?

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Gills are great smoked! I really like crappie too.

The 3 Men's Fish Smoking Process

http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/file/garden/storage/The%203%20Men%27s%20Fish%20Smoking%20Process.pdf

Thanks for this guide! Very thorough. I bookmarked it for the next time I smoke trout.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:57 AM »
we make a smoked pike cheese ball that is incredible. I will find recipe and post' It is a bit expensive to make, but the best. I take it to my archery league night, and it would be easy to loose a finger

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:17 PM »
I used this brine and method on Bass and Pike fillets. Recipie is for Salmon, but was perfect for Bass.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/91264/final-smoked-salmon-with-recipe-instructions-and-qview
They turned out awesome. I only brined for 3 hours, however for Gills I would just go 2 hours due to their size. Lean fresh water fish are delicious when brined and smoked.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:23 PM »
we make a smoked pike cheese ball that is incredible. I will find recipe and post' It is a bit expensive to make, but the best. I take it to my archery league night, and it would be easy to loose a finger
smoked fish cheese ball,,, Topping 1/2 c. walnuts chopped fine,1/2 c. shreddedcheddar cheese, 2 Tbl. dried parsley
                                       Ball: 1-8oz pkg cream cheese
                                               I-8oz. tub garden vegetable cream cheese
                                                1-small jar pimento spread
                                              1 1/2 c. smoked fish (we use pike)
                                             1/4 c. onion fine chopo
                                             1Tbl minced garlic
                                             1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
mix together the 3 topping ingredients and place on dinner plate , set aside
In a large bowl,combine all the ball ingredients and mix well until well blended. Oil hands with vegetable oil and form into ball. Roll ball in topping on plate until completely covered, fill in areas. Place on serving dish and refrigerate until use. Let set @ room temp/ 30 min. before serving with crackers

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:01 AM »
  Thanks for the recipes, going to give it a try, sound delicious! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.