New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109459 times)

Offline brokentipup

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #540 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:27 AM »
Anybody fish Otsego Lake in the past 24 hours?

Offline wbvitari

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #541 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:14 AM »
I know of some guys who fished off Glimmerglass yesterday... Said it was slow... Water was stained. But ice was good solid7+
FLAG, FLAG...... FISH ON!!!!!

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #542 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:59 PM »
my buddy and I had a decent day with lakers, landed 20 between the both of us all jigged 4-5 inches of ice over deeper water all jigged with a decent amount of them looking normal not lizards. one my buddy kept had 3 6-7 inch walleye's in its stomach :( and a smelt!

Offline brokentipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #543 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:40 PM »
i ended up going there yesterday with my kid we caught a couple one keeper twenty is quite impressive i need to find a bait shop with some jumbo shiners from the sound of it when i gutted mine it had six inch shiners in its gut

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #544 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:32 PM »
honestly I don't think it matters what type of minnow your tipping your jig with I was using med buckeyes Sunday, there hungry just got to find the spots there cruising through you can catch them shallow but will find better numbers deeper just my two cents.

Offline Walleyes killers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #545 on: Jan 16, 2018, 05:18 PM »
I find 4”/5” suckers stay alive  longer in deeper water then the shiner would

Offline brokentipup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #546 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:37 AM »
what bait shop has suckers and thank you for all this information i prefer fishing deeper water it was a little cold monday for the wife and kid so i stayed in close and still caught fish i was amazed really hoping for another trip out soon

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #547 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Ok crazy crazy question .....how many of you guys that fish otsego either summer or winter have seen...ready...jellyfi sh...

Offline builder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • don't get drug in
« Reply #548 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:59 PM »
not crazy. I fish mauch chunk lake in pa and they're all over the place in deep water. when I saw them the first time I thought I was seeing things. I read up on them and it says they came from the Yangtze river in china go figure. they will be found in all states except montana and have only been found in a few lakes in Canada. they will only be found in deep lakes with clearer water. they figure they got spread around by attaching to geese. they can sting but are to smallto hurt humans. they are only about the size of a quarter. ok schools out!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #549 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Yea otsego lake is deep in places and clear just wondering if the guys that fish have seen them..so im not crazy anyways ..they are small tooo

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #550 on: Jan 18, 2018, 05:54 AM »
Ok crazy crazy question .....how many of you guys that fish otsego either summer or winter have seen...ready...jellyfi sh...

I wonder if that is what happened to the alewives in Otsego.  Some info:

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=1068

Impact of Introduction: The impact of this widespread jellyfish is unclear.  Dodson and Cooper (1983) proposed Craspedacusta sowerbyi's preference for predatory zooplankton, such as the rotifer Asplanchna, could influence relative zooplankton species structure.   Spadinger and Maier (1999) agreed with theorized affects on zooplankton communities finding that C. sowerbyi hydromedusae prefer larger zooplankton (0.4–1.4 mm) and vigorous prey such as copepods.  Under laboratory conditions and in 4 mm of water, C. sowerbyi polyps apparently killed and fed on striped bass larvae (Dendy, 1978).  Dumont (1994) speculated that C. sowerbyi may consume fish eggs, but Spadinger and Maier (1999) note that it is generally not considered an important predator of eggs or small fish . Crayfish are considered the only important predator of the hydromedusa phase (Pennak, 1989; Slobodkin and Bossert, 1991).
Remarks: Freshwater jellyfish is not considered dangerous to humans.  Although its stings can paralyze macroinvertebrates and small fish, its small nematocysts are not likely to penetrate human skin (Peard, 2002).

Offline LT.89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #551 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Anyone ever fish Otsego at night?

Offline Shantypanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Ive heard some very healthy walleyes can be caught at night in some of shallower coves.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #553 on: Jan 18, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Maybe the jellyfish did eat the alewives ..sound like it...

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #554 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:33 AM »
Maybe the jellyfish did eat the alewives ..sound like it...
DEC is going to check them out this summer.

Offline Tommy_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #555 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:55 AM »

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #556 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:17 AM »
From what I’ve read the field station has been well aware of the jellyfish for several years.

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #557 on: Jan 19, 2018, 01:39 PM »
We were fishing south end of lake last June.  Had bait balls on finder that ran from 35' mark to 10'. Looked like 10 yrs ago. How is  the access from Fairy Springs Park?
Flag Up!!!

Offline Kfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #558 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Got some pearch and a 20 inch walleye today. Ice is 9 inches by glimmerglass.

Offline Lakertaker11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #559 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Any luck this weekend 20/ 21?

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #560 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:17 PM »
There are several scuba diving videos on YouTube from divers on otsego recording those freshwater jellyfish. Pretty cool.

I fished the lake for the first time ever this year, only because I had a bass tournament scheduled there. Ended up targeting largemouths and caught a boat load... but the quality is low there for sure...

As far as primary forage goes there, I have a friend that is in the SUNY class that does all the testing there and he claims the main forage are perch.

Offline Kfish1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Is there anyplace to park when fishing at night on ostego. I would like to try it for walleye but not sure if the state park gates close at night.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #562 on: Jan 22, 2018, 11:01 AM »
everyone looking to fish Otsego to target walleye in my opinion is wasting their time. I don't believe the numbers are there to successfully target them. it seems as though more and more people are getting them, but only happening upon them 1 at a time..... I also haven't fished for them at night either. buddy of mine and myself went Saturday and were on the lake by 6 and set up along a 18'--35' drop and only caught lakers........

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #563 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I don't think anyone could have a valid opinion on how someone else spends their time. Not your place to have such an opinion. You can judge what is a waste of time for yourself but you'd be hard pressed to tell me what a waste of my time is.  Some people fish for the adventure not just the catching. 

Suggesting that a fishery isn't viable with a short anecdotal story doesn't mean anything.  Come back with a survey report that says there is 5 eyes in there and that would be actual fact....

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #564 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I don't think anyone could have a valid opinion on how someone else spends their time. Not your place to have such an opinion. You can judge what is a waste of time for yourself but you'd be hard pressed to tell me what a waste of my time is.  Some people fish for the adventure not just the catching. 

Suggesting that a fishery isn't viable with a short anecdotal story doesn't mean anything.  Come back with a survey report that says there is 5 eyes in there and that would be actual fact....

Well said! And I know in the summer there's many people fishing there for eyes so it's a viable enterprise. It might not be the most productive walleye lake around, but that makes it all the better when you do get into a few. "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time".

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #565 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:53 PM »
he said 'waste of time' in his opinion lol.  You are allowed to have opinions haha

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #566 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:02 PM »
02 rmk hey steve whats up they dont get it let them find out the hard way i too have fished many times for walleye yes they are there can u catch them maybe i have tried after dark before dark in dark and daytime i fish the lake in summer also yes u can get one if your lucky but candarago is better if thats says anything u want eyes go to onieda or the dead sea oh and yes i have caught them but no consistency  good luck!!!!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #567 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:05 PM »
I think what was meant was, if you want to CATCH a limit of walleyes, it might be a waste of time.  It is not a lake like Oneida with a ton of 'eyes.  And it can be hard to find them, unlike Oneida.  You need to really know the lake. 

Waste of time??  That is watching the Hallmark channel.  Walleye fishing, whether you find them or not?  Never a waste of time, especially with a few beers in the cooler.  ;D

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #568 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:16 PM »
02 rmk hey steve whats up they dont get it let them find out the hard way i too have fished many times for walleye yes they are there can u catch them maybe i have tried after dark before dark in dark and daytime i fish the lake in summer also yes u can get one if your lucky but candarago is better if thats says anything u want eyes go to onieda or the dead sea oh and yes i have caught them but no consistency  good luck!!!!

ive learned to let things like this roll off the shoulder..... this site has lost its luster on speaking the truth......I go to fish for the pure surprise of not knowing what's on the other end at Otsego.... its a great fishery....but again to go and SOLEY fish for walleye, I would rather go to Oneida....we have a shanty on GSL, its just a place to go hang out and have fun with buddies, oh and on the rare occasion catch some fish, LOL

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #569 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:31 PM »
u guys still do that tupper lake tourney

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.