The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Moving to Montana  (Read 9298 times)

Offline Katahdinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Moving to Montana
« on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:18 AM »
I am moving to Great Falls this December (Military) and I am from Maine. I have spent the last 9 years in colorado Ice Fishing in the high mountain lakes and reservoir's. I am searching for a few new fishing friends to show me around and catch a few trout and cusk(Ling or Burbot) I have all of my own gear and a 4x4 pick up so I need some guys to meet and greet and have a good time catching fish.

Offline pronghorn

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Moving to Montana
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I have been away from Gt. Falls for about 11 years, but it is kind of centered for ice fishing fanatics. There is quite a bit of perch/trout & walleye fishing south from there at Hauser & Holter lakes. North, you have primo walleye fishing and northern spearing at Frances, Tiber, and many others. Just be sociable first few times you hit the ice and you'll find lot's of new fishing Pards real fast. Once you get used to the wind it ain't too bad.

Thanks for serving.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2007, 01:56 PM »
Welcome to MT.  ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2007, 08:05 PM »
We fish hardwater west of the divide also, if you every want to try it out....give me a shout.... 8)

Good Fishing!

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2007, 08:57 PM »
K-Boy - Welcome to MT.  Sounds like you/me have much in common.  Military, originally from Maine, just moved to GTF from AK last January, and love to ice fish.  Had some luck last season at Tiber, Frances, and Holter lakes.  I hooked up last winter with a local ice fisherman who got me oriented to the local spots.  Give me a shout if you want to hit the ice together some time (I'm at Malmstrom).....I'm always looking for some ice fishing buds. 8)

Offline Katahdinboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Coldfinger007 Same for me Stop Bythe Fire Station on Base Ask for the new guy from Colorado, I want to fish fort peck for big Togue and cusk this winter you game?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:19 AM »
If you guys ever make to Helena, give me a shout.  I got a 4x8 hard side that I use for ling.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Coldfinger007 Same for me Stop Bythe Fire Station on Base Ask for the new guy from Colorado, I want to fish fort peck for big Togue and cusk this winter you game?

I'm game.  FtPeck is on my list of places to hit this winter.  I'll drop by sometime. BTW, keep an eye on the Outdoor Rec events...guy by the name of Steve is planning on taking some patient souls out spear fishin' for pike this winter.  I've never done spear fishing for pike, so I'm planning on it.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for serving, KB.  I hope you never have to come in harms way (and if you do, be sure to give'em hell)  Good ice fishing.
MD

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:54 AM »

I gotta ask...what the heck is a cusk?

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I gotta ask...what the heck is a cusk?

Ling  man
you know
cusk
ling
burbot
eelpout
yada yada

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2007, 03:42 PM »
Ling  man
you know
cusk
ling
burbot
eelpout
yada yada
If I knew would I have asked MOOT???  Only "Ling" I'd ever heard of until a couple years ago were the ones I caught out of Puget Sound and they are bigger, uglier and way meaner than any burbot ever could think of being....  If you asked me calling a burbot a ling is like calling a common house cat a cougar....  I'll stick with burbot...

Oh and Moot, thanks for the answer bud!!  ;)

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2007, 03:44 PM »
If I knew would I have asked MOOT???  Only "Ling" I'd ever heard of until a couple years ago were the ones I caught out of Puget Sound and they are bigger, uglier and way meaner than any burbot ever could think of being....  If you asked me calling a burbot a ling is like calling a common house cat a cougar....  I'll stick with burbot...

Oh and Moot, thanks for the answer bud!!  ;)

anytime buddy you know you can always count on me

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Mooter, it's not yada yada, it's Lota lota  Jeez!

Ya always have to be the know it all biologist.  Damn scientist.....  :laugh:

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2007, 02:45 PM »
You could fish for the elusive Yada yada but I don't think they're very good to eat :o

Been hunting wally? Last night the old 270 barked twice and 2 big whitetail does are hangin!! Probably put some pics up on mhf.

Been out some, not as much as I want to.  Word of warning, don't have sex in March or April ever!  I had to spend last weekend at the in-laws house for my son's birthday.  I love my son and all but he's only two, he wouldn't notice if we pushed his birthday up a few weeks or celebrated it after Thanksgiving, but ohhh no his mother wasn't about to do that.

Going out again for a 3 days, leaving tonight.  Then next weekend is 4 days.  Then I have the week of Thanksgiving off.  Hope to fill up the freezer soon.  Havn't even seen much yet.  We need to get some snow.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2007, 05:11 PM »
halloween meat run!!

Trick or treat, smell my feet,  give me some fresh meat to eat!  (now get your mind out of the gutter)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Last night I was the gutter.

Get it? The gutter....

Jiggy if you have to explain it it aint that funny!!!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Jiggy if you have to explain it it aint that funny!!!!
Jiggy is not funny.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2007, 08:32 PM »
Does somebody have a self esteem issue????

I could only think of "Funny Looking"....and that just isn't funny...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Ahhh  Haa!   You got me with my mouth open on that one Jiggy!!!

:woot:

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2007, 10:34 PM »
God help the man who both looks and smells funny :afro:

Depending on the day..I need all the help I can get!!  :blink:  Quit making fun of me. 

Hey Jiggy,  my Nils is in the mail!!! 

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2007, 02:19 AM »
I'm also relatively new to Great Falls. My days off are Friday / Saturday so that's when I'll probably be able to do the most ice fishing.  I am looking for a place close to Great Falls to go, but I haven't really found it.  Do people fish the river here or doesn't it get thick enough?  Anyways I could always use someone else to help me drag me out from under the ice.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2007, 02:35 AM »
Hey Andy,
I've been here seven years and still haven't made it out to Peck or even Tiber.  I do know you don't do the rivers, just too scary with the currents changing.  I mainly hit Holter as I know that area better...and it's so darn pretty.  I'd sure like to hit Frances more as well as Tiber for wallys.  I'm hoping to get more ice time this year.  We are centrally located, but unfortunately still pretty far for quick trips. If you want PM me and maybe we can pop a few holes and find some fish.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:39 PM »
Welcome to Montana where the beers cold and the ice is colder. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.