Author Topic: Ice Fishing 101.4 Bluegill Search  (Read 22769 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Ice Fishing 101.4 Bluegill Search
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:19 AM »

Ice Fishing 101.4   Bluegill Search

Did this awhile back and many have requested I do it again so here we go. Click here to see the last search, Perch Search

This is a real lake deep in the northwoods. This lake is a bluegill factory. It's a walk in/atv lake with no road access so it's see's most of the pressure during the winter months. Large schools of 8-10" Bluegills are prolific in the lake with small perch, nice bass and some northern pike.  It's mid February, still cold with some days just breaking into the 30's for highs. Today the wind is calm and the skies are high and blue. The locals all know where to fish this lake. Actually you just need to look for the area that is cratered like the moon with holes! But you won't have this advantage we just had a foot of powder fall the night before and the lake is virgin, so you will need to use you lake map reading skills and your knowledge of bluegill habits to find the honey hole on this lake.

The names and locations have been change to protect the innocent.

Lake Slabbo Info:
Acres: 240
Max Depth: 20
Species: Northern Pike, Large Mouth Bass, Perch, Bluegill
Bottom Makeup: Silt, Sand, Marl, Submerged Vegetation
Water Clarity: Moderate

The Mission:

Describe what you would do to find the motherload and how you would approach catching the adult bluegills that roam Lake Slabbo once you have found them.
I am looking for: Depths, locations, baits, technique and equipment.

The Prizes:

1st: Icegator Cap, Marcum Charger, Militia Trial Package
2nd: Marcum Cap, Marcum Battery Monitor, Militia Trial Package
3rd: Team Iceshanty Medium Profile Cap, Militia Trial Package.
4th: Bumper Sticker, Militia Trial Package.
5th: Militia Trial Package.

The Rules:

One entry allowed.
You may fish a maximum of three map locations.
All entries must be submitted by December 1st 2008 8:00pm cst

Thanks to Icegator and Marcum for the prizes! Remember there are no correct answers! I will judge based on my past experience on this lake, like fishing some of it will be skill and part of it luck.

Icegator Electric Ice Augers MarCum Technologies

Good Luck and please put the SLABBO gills back for me! ;)

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: [CONTEST] Ice Fishing 101.4 Bluegill Search
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Area 1 North west corner of the lake in the Shibbs Creek Outlet area , locate weed beds fish between 2 and 3 feet of water with red and whit spikes on a genz bug or clown gill pill with 2 lb test and an ultra light .
Work that depth within 100 yards both ways of the outlet .

Area 2 South Bay to Shibbs Creek inlet , same method as area 1

Area 3 Shibbs Bay to Johnnys creek inlet same method as areas 1 and 2

These area's will provide slow moving water and silt which will in turn provide unlimited supplies of plankton and blood worms for forage as well as a higher level of oxygenated water .

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:34 AM »
In my mind I see a channel running from Shibbs Creek Inlet to Shibbs Creek Outlet providing oxygen and weed cover???

1. Jack's Honey Hole would be my first attempt in the 15' range.

2. Old tom's Honey Hole, 15' area

3. Then Snake bay in the 10' area

Drill a lot of holes and check them with my Marcum VX-1, looking for weeds/fish.

Equipment: Primary setup Genz Stix GGZ2724 L, 4lb. line, and a Hali tipped with maggots.
                Secondary setup a Genz stix GGZ2313 UL, 2lbs. line Fiskas jig with maggots.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Alright,  Without reading either of the previous entries... here's what I'd do...

I'd start the morning off at Shibbs bay, as gills in winter will tend towards flatter shallow/semi shallow areas.  Shibbs would also be a great choice as its close to an inlet providing fresher oxygenated water that both the fish and the bait love.  I'd fish close to the 5-7 foot depth, on the west side of the Johnneys creek inlet.  Using a fish camera to see the fish reacting to my presentation, I would adjust jigs/and technique as needed.  a vex wouldn't be terribly useful in that shallow of water, the camera on the other hand definitely would be.  Using a Marmish pole with 1 or 2lb test and tiny marmish, wolfram, or fiskas jigs (1/16th or lighter) (yellows, greens, variety of patterns) tipped with maggots (or spikes as most refer to them), id' pound the gills all morning long. A lake this size, I'd bet the gils would be pretty much most places around the lake, more in some areas then others, fresher water would be a big benifit I'd think.  A marmish pole is great as I would pull out the gills hand over hand, then when re-setting the line, it goes back to the same exact depth as before.  Technique would be jigging, some light pops at first, then an erratic vibration of my hand to really dance the jigs, followed by a 30 second-1 minute pause of no movement, then repeat.

In the noonish hours I'd move to the east and fish in about 17 feet of water off Shibbs creek inlet near south bay.  I'd keep the marmish pole but switch to a heavier (1/8th oz- to get the hook back down quicker) jig and switch colors to yellows, oranges, deep reds.  Don't know why,  but those colors seem to produce best for me those times of days.  Bait would be the same,  maggots, and technique would be similar as well.  In 17 FOW, a vex would be usefull, but the fish camera would be more useful as I could judge my presentation to the fish, and change out jigs/ technique as needed. 

In the evening hours  I'd move back to the Johny's Creek area, but this time fish just to the east side of the inlet on the bench in about 7.5 feet of water.  Jig colors would switch again to greens, reds, blues, and purples. go figure, but it works, try it out.   ;)  bait stays the same, maggots, and technique again, would be jigging, dictated by how the fish react on the fish camera. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Since I'd be new to this lake, I'd probably start off by:
1.) Letting someone know where I was going.
2.) checking Iceshanty for any reports or information from members.
3.) Then either call or stop by a local B&T seeing if there was any information available as to where to begin, and what types of lures they had. (Maybe even a call to the local DNR/DCNR or whoever governs the water/area. The information gathered through these efforts would at least give me more information then just a map).

If no information was available other then the map, my first effort would be in just finding some fish. I wouldn't care what size. I want to determine what the bite is like for this particular day and what the main forage is made up of. I'd like to see what was in the stomaches of some of the fish. 
I'd fish the lower portion of the lake.

I would think that in a day of hop scotching this area using my Vex I'd be able to:
Find weeds/weed edges and possibly some lone weed patches.
Several different types of bottom compositions
A creek channel or at least remnants
Possibly a travel lane or two from the deeper water to the rocky bottom off of the point
Possibly a little bit of a mud flat in Shibbs Bay area
Find some slabs

I'd hop scotch from the South Bay area around to the Shibbs Bay area. The small point between between the two areas, looks to contain some rock outcroppings and is adjacent to some deeper water.
Concentrating my efforts in the 5' to 15' depths.
I'd start by looking for some weeds and then a weed edge as well as some changes in bottom composition.  There is the possibility that there is a bit of a mud flat in the Shibbs Bay area as well as maybe the remnants of the Johhnys Creek channel. 

The lures I'd use would depend on what I might have found when I looked at the stomach contentes of the first few fish I caught, or how they were reacting to some of my presentations/lures.
More then likely I'd be fishing with:
Various colored and sizes of Rat Finkee/ratso tipped with maggies
Forage minnows in various small sizes and colors
Marmish jigs of various colors and sizes

Depending on where the fish were located and on how the fish were reacting to presentations/lures, I'd be fishing the entire water column from the bottom to the top. Getting to the bottom and slowly working my lures upwards in the water column to slow drops through the water column to the bottom, and dead sticking. All the while using my Vex to figure out what to do or not to do. Paying attention to shifting fish locations and the time of day.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Big Smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing like a Crappie Ice Hole!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2008, 12:15 PM »

I want to enter a plan for all seasons of ice:

Assume we are talking about first ice/early season. That said......

I would start on the North West side near the outlet (Shibb's Creek). A slow flow of water will aid in feeding the fish. Also in the great Nort' of 'Sconnie, the north side that is shallow should have lots of weeds for cover and oxygen. Find weeds, start shallow and work out deeper. Often, bull gills will lay under a smaller school of gills. That is why I like heavier jigs (or add a  small split shot ~8in. up from the jig). For these guys, I'd use a genz bug, or genz work with a waxie/spike "t-boned, genz style". Especailly early or late in the day. Mid-day, I might switch to a shrimpo or ratso to tease them into a bite. A flasher is a must and mobility is a must. If you like, you could certainly put out the tip downs once you have established a target area and depth. Of course, you will probably be too busy with your jig stick for that. I prefer a decent "backer line" (4#) and a light leader of fluorocarbon 1# or 2#. In the weeds, I'd go with 2#. Also, minnows will  land the largest of 'gills. If you want to "dead stick" or "bobber fish", that would be my bait of choice. 

Mid season- (As you referenced, Feb.)

Slower bite. I would switch to almost exclusively plastics on the above mentioned jigs and down size a little. Hole hopping is the tactic I would employ. Look deeper than before, I would start at the 10' mark . This time of year, water temp. is as important as oxygen. With some of the weeds potentially dying off at this time of year, I would look for other structure. If you can find a submerged tree that is on a sharp decline that would be a great place to start. I would look for a "rootball" on the edge of the shore near grumpy Shins hole. I would then slide down to the south side. It appears that there is some rock structure just off a point in 5-10 fow. If this structure didn't hold any fish, I would try the slow sloping flat starting at Snake Bay's 10' mark and working South towards Old Tom's Honey Hole.

Late Season/Last Ice-

I would quickly cover the structure mentioned above. I would then head straight towards the SE corner and work Shibb's inlet. Becare for the warmer water there might thin the ice. I would start as close to the inlet as I could (safely). Then head to the deeper water until the proper temp. and oxygen level is reached..........there, will be the fish. Late, late ice, same thing with Johnny's creek inlet.

Whenever you go: Tell someone where when and where, take safty gear (pix, rope, etc.), and a camera for posting pictures on Ice Shanty!! Personally, I'd put a couple of tip-ups out with med-lg shingers (dead bait where legal) for those pike on the points with drop offs while jigging for those bull 'gills.
Stay on top!

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2008, 05:44 PM »
 Well the first thing that I myself would do ??? ...................... ...................... I would make a phone call to my good budddy bigredonice with his vast knowledge and electronics 8) ......... NEED I SAY MORE  ;)

:tipup: :tipup:  UPSTATE ICEMASTER :tipup: :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2008, 05:45 PM »
From the look of the map, a channel is formed by Johnnys Creek and Shibbs Creek that runs right through Old Tom's Honey Hole.  

Using my Marcum Lx3 I would try and find the submerged vegitation on the east side of that channel starting from Jack's Honey Hole north to Old Tom's Honey Hole.  I like the transistion from the slightly steep edge to the flats that range from 15-20' of water.

A few ultra light poles with spring bobbers and lined with 2lb test (a couple with 1# leaders below swivels).  Since the water probably isn't that visible with Moderate clarity and a fresh blanket of powder on top I'll use some brighter colors and even try some glows.  #10 & 12 rat finkee's in white, green and orange glow tipped with the tiny (~1/2" or smaller) meal worms from the pet store.  I like the softer boddies for a lighter bite (being mid Feb) as they hold on a while longer.  T-boning the mealies (with more error towards the tail) give great subtle action jigged or still.  Once I've marked fish, I'd dead stick a 1" tube jig full of smelly jelly about 18" from the bottom.  If near any water movement that tube has great slow action for a big gill.  The Marcum should tell me where in the column the fish are and how they are reacting to the jigging.  Adjust as needed.  Once the ticket is found I like a couple rods handy with same setup.  I also change the tube to a color they are on and keep it near for multiple baits in the area.  

If all I'm catching is dinks, I'll head out farther into the flats (west) looking for larger fish in smaller schools using similar techniques.  

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 PM »
I would start off the season fishing Shibbs Creek Outlet area in Snake Bay in the 5-10ft of water with small jigs like diamond jigs, gill pills, marmooskas and marmish jigs tipped with a waxie or a spike. I would search for weeds and fish with my Marcum LX-2.

Second spot I would fish would be Jacks Honey hole in 12-15ft of water again with small jigs tipped with a waxie or a spike. Searching for fish and weeds with my Marcum LX-2.

Third spot I would search would be Johnny's Point fishing both sides of the point first before heading onto the point into the shallower water. I would fish the 10ft mark again with small jigs tipped with a waxie or a spikes. Looking for weeds and fish with my Marcum LX-2.

For equipment I would be using UL rods with a flat spring bobber on 2lb test line. For jig colors I would be using anything with chartreuse in it. Also I would try fishing with plastics like ratsos and maki plastics and fishing them slow with subtle movement. I would drill holes at a diagonal from shallower water to deeper water.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:13 AM »
I would just call Scott and tell him when i was gonna be there , ask where  to meet and show me the ropes for that particular lake  :o

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I'd do what I normally do...since the legwork is done and the lake is actually holding fish... and the directions to it...then there is my method:

Load up Touring X2 Polaris with auger, vex, camera, GPS. otter sled, etc and little brother (he's 35...so not so little).  Kick brother off ATV and hand him the Strikelite...use Navionics to pick up any break lines, inlets, rock pile, etc...anything that would  funnel, saddle areas.. whatever.  Make brother swiss cheese that little lake with an "x" drilling pattern off any and all structure area.  Follow brother around on ATV using vex...follow up vex returns with camera...after visually finding gills (or whatever I wanted to catch) start punching waypoint markers.  Fish from ATV  and catch fish.  After limit...call little bro on 2-way and tell him to stop drilling and go pick him up - just follow the holes.  Let little brother catch a couple...hand lil brother filet knife back at cabin.  OK..i'll cook the fish for him.

But he is doing the dishes.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2008, 03:27 PM »
 Where:
A line of holes from Johnnys Pt. to Old Toms Hole.
A line of holes from the rocky pt. just East of Johnnys Inlet toward old Earls Hole.
A circle of holes that would basically surround the words "Snake Bay".
Each line of holes would contain between 10 and 20 holes spaced 10 yards apart.  And I would concentrate on the  7-15 FOW areas.

Searching would be done with a small Kastmaster with the treble removed and  a 6 inch dropper tied below it and a medium sized Genz Worm tipped with waxworm tied to the dropper.  This rig allows you to move quickly (don't need to clean all the slush out of the hole), gets down quickly, is easily seen on a flasher,  and calls in the Gills.  I'd carry another rod rigged with a small Ratso ( lime green or purple) tipped with a few maggots.  If the fish were there but didn't eat the Genz worm, I'd feed them the Ratso.  Fish each hole for 2-3 minutes until you find them.  Once you find them, if the action slows,  drill a circle of holes 20-40 yards in diameter around the hottest hole.  Hop around until you have a limit.  Repeat as necessary!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2008, 03:41 PM »
I would fish the 20 ft deep area at grumpy shins hole working this area up and down the drop-off with a large tear drop tipped with 3 waxies with an agresive jigging pattern with my gill rod. Coarse I would locate the fish with the electronics and use it to keep with the group of fish.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I would start between Jacks honey hole and Shibbs creek inlet . in 10 ft moving down the slope to 20 . drilling holes every 6 steps , with my 7" Ice gator . I would be jigging Mar mooska glow jigs and Gentz blood worms in 1/32 oz. with a droper of a black ant or picketpin.(favorite blue gill fly) I would be using my Marcum XL-2 to see how the fish react to slow jigging or fast. on my HT ICE BLUE rod. I dont know were this lake is but this works for me. ;D

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:28 PM »
No blue gills here!!!! I would hit my Laker spots instead!!! ;D
I don't even know how to catch them through the ice!!! Used to catch 'em off the dock with worms when I was a kid back in the dark ages!!!!  :wacko:

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I probably would start  punching holes near Johnny's creek looking for deep weed edges or maybe a change in vegetation I wouldnt overlook  sight fishing in the weeds towards the slow dropoff from 7-12 fow  but Feb and a sunny bluebird day I would definately be heading deeper as the day went on . I would start aggresive using electronics to figure what mood the fish are in I like genz bug or other horizontal jigs tipped with waxies for an aggresive approach if this isnt working I switch to micro teardrops tipped with single or maybe 2 spikes hole hopping until I find the slabs I am after I think they will be at the deep edge of the weeds right off johnnys creek and will not be overly aggresive preffering the teardrops with single spike worked painfully slow. springbobber needed as they will suck bait in and spit as fast .     Earlier in the year the flat weedy area just west of this area would be the place to be   
Now bring on the ice

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I decided not to read any of the other posts until after I take a crack at it.......Blue Bird day, moderate water quality, mid season for this lake.....Hmmmmmmm? Assuming that I'm going out when it's light out (I generally start in the dark for perch)....I'd aim directly for Grumpy Shins hole and start popping holes in the 10-20' range to find the edge of the weedline nearest deep water. I'd do my usual; drop 2 holes side by side (about 2' apart for my trap).

I'm a mobile ice fisher. Old school. No tv's or beeping, flashing gizmos. 4.5" Fin Bor folding auger, the oldest fish trap, 4-6 rods and 1000 jigs. I walk! I move...a lot.

For big gills I'd start with a 3-dot glow and waxworm on on my ultra light YAD with 2lb clear Berkley Ice. I'd drop that to the bottom and work it up through the water column. The second rod would have a gold Wolfram Tungsten on bottom and an olive Silver Flash Scud about 16" above on a dropper knot. I'd let that one sit with a waxie on the bottom and a couple of spikes on the scud, slowly raising it every once in a while.

I'd  start south and explore to the north  towards Johnny's point. I'd work both sides of that point into 8 fow and out to the 15' flat.

I'd then move SE towards that little cut  in 15 fow at Old Tom's Hole and work south again moving in and out between 10' and the deepest water.

Needless to say, I'd be switching jigs all the while and varying the presentation working it top to bottom and bottom to top. If you're gonna get some bigguns, they're gonna be 3 feet or so off the bottom. The fussier they are the smaller I'd go. Probably switching to darker colors as the sun gets up.

Here's my thinking. The water is fairly stable by this point in the season. They'll tend to be pretty patterned, moving in to the weed beds to feed and back out to deeper areas to rest. Bluegill's primary forage is the freshwater shrimp. They won't waste much energy chasing pinheads this time of year.They have to move from their deep water refuges to the weed edges to feed. It's this movement that I'm targeting. Keep in mind that these are mature gills. They won't be wandering too far into the weed beds. That's where the toothy critters and bucketmouths lurk. The shallows are typically nursery schools for gills in my experience. The big gills go deep.

I'd expect some fair action throughout the morning hours, a nice nap from 11am - 2pm and killer action till dark....and...about 100 holes or so....bless that 4.5" Fin Bor.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2008, 05:35 PM »
MID FEBRUARY HERE IN UPSTATE NY
  • FISH ARE SCHOOLED
  • SHALLOW WEEDS ARE DEAD AND BARREN, (THIS 20 FOOT LAKE WAS LIKELY CHOKED WITH WEEDS DURING THE SUMMER)
  • FISH ARE ON THE BOTTOM CRUISING NEAR THE DEEPEST HOLES
  • FISH BITE IS MORNING TILL 10:30 AM ..THEN AGAIN AT SUNSET FOR A COUPLE HOURS
  • FISH ARE GENERALLY TIGHT LIPPED
  • NO WIND MEANS BAROMETER IS STEADY, AGAIN A HARD FISH
  • IM HEADED TO THE 2O FOOT EDGE AT GRUMPY SHINS, THE SHARP LEDGE WILL CHANNEL THE FISH  BETTER THAN OVER AT JACKS OR TOMS. THEY WILL RUN THAT RIM AND KEEP IN THE AREA AS LONG AS YOU HAVE ACTION IN THE HOLE.
  • 6 INCH HAND AUGER WILL DO FINE
  • 2 LB STREN COLD WATER LINE AND A #12 or #14 RED OR CHARTRUSE DOT (TEARDROP) TIPPED WITH A MOUSEE OR WAXWORM. ICE BLUE POLE WITH FINE TIP TO GENTLY BOUNCE THE BAIT AND FEEL THE TAP.  START 6 INCHES OF THE BOTTOM AND MOVE UP, AS FISH MAY BE SUSPENDED.  OR YOU CAN STACK TWO DOTS 12 INCHES APART
  • IF FISH ARE REAL FUSSY MAY GO TO A SMALL JIGGY BOBBER AND SUSPEND THE DOT STATIONARY, SO THAT THEY CAN GET A GOOD LOOK AND SMELL
  • IF FISH ARE REAL AGRESSIVE YOU MAY GO TO A SMALL PIMPLE , SINGLE HOOK TIPPED WITH GRUBS
  • THIS LAKE WILL BE SLOW DURING HIGH SUN...

• IF NO LUCK AT GRUMPY SHINS I WOULD MOVE TO THE 20 FOOT DEEP EDGE OUT FROM SHIBBS CREEK INLET

Offline Vexilar Prowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • They re always where ya find em!!
    « Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2008, 07:11 PM »
    I would start right in the middle of snake bay in about 8 to 10 feet of water.  Drill about 12 different holes about every 10 yards.  If no takers then i would go the johnnys creek inlet in about 7 feet of water try a few holes, if nothing there then try between shibbs creek inlet and south bay in about 10 to 12 feet of water.  I would fish all these spots with chartruse and red fiskas wolfarm jigs tipped with two or three spikes. 

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
    « Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:43 AM »
    I'd work the transition points and choke points into deeper water.   Fish, and schooling gills in particular, use these as highways from feature to feature.  How many of us have worked a downed trunk or rock pile in an otherwise featureless lake?  Fish trend towards structure.

1) The hump by Old Earl's Hole and the point coming into that would be a target.
    2) Scattered holes around Johnny's Point for the sharp dropoff heading out into deeper water.
    3) Tom's Honey Hole would be a target for the transition between flats.

Drill holes and check bottom depths with flasher/finder.  Fish holes with marks indicating fish.  Start off with a chartreuse fat boy with a #10 hook and waxworm.  Early feed, light jigging with smooth motions.  As the day wears on move to more aggressive pounding jigging to draw aggressive fish in.  If chartreuse isn't cutting it, goto white with 2 -3 spikes. 

I'm presenting larger baits to hopefully attract the larger fish.  If still no joy, I'd downsize to #12 hooks with something a kin to the genz bug in chartreuse with spikes or gulp spikes.

Fishing from shelter to prevent too much light from getting into the holes.  Glow lures active on 2lb test with ultralight rod. 

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2008, 10:47 AM »
    1, start at 10' near the point by the southern inlet, find weeds and cover, fish 2' off bottom and use diamond jigs or other small jig  1' above small jigging spoon (swedish pimple, frostee, or forage minnow) glow depending on water clarity.
    2, find deeper cover and repeat this time with smaller jigs 2' above spoons.
    3, cross the lake and fish in the deepest point 5' off bottom using same setup as in 2, all lures are baited with waxworms,

gear
    8" hand  auger
    5 rods all ultra lite-medium w/ 4lb test line
    bucket and seat lid
    2 man portable shack 2 holes
    no motor vehicles
    medium ice pro sled
    waxworms
    rod holders
    needle nose pliers
    1 12oz. root beer
    3 bags cool ranch Doritos

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2008, 09:34 PM »
    After researching the lake map &  then visiting the local B&T shop..........

1)Lake map .....$10.00
     2)Lively spikes & fatheads......$8.00
     3)Visiting the local B&T shop , buying the above stuff mentioned  & B.S. a few stories............... PRICELESS ;)

(Oh of course not to leave out the "Vex" fl8se)
      After collecting all of the above, determining whether we can drag the "guide" by Clam Co. or use the
      trappers basket (since we have no vehicular access) & strappin on the snow shoes, we will be ready to
      start our journey.With a "foot" of fresh powder we shall use extreme caution when stepping on the ice
      keeping away from all creek or stream inlets or outlets for these areas can harbor the weakest ice.

I would concentrate on entering from the "Johnny's point" area, whether it be from the point itself
      or the east side of lake adjacent from the "point". Starting with a test hole (checking ice thickness/depth
      of water) & after shoveling a spot with my trustee compact snow shovel. Now I can set the "Vex" down on
       a level surface. We will be using a search lure (swedish pimple , hookless w/ a glow teardrop 8"-10"
       below, tipped w/  a wax worm.We be looking for weed beds in to 10' flat area of the lake. Running from
      west to east across the lake, if nothing found, from the middle of the lake start to drill holes taking a bearing
       to the north towards "snake bay" w/my "mora" hand auger (trying to keep as "Green" as possible) plus it helps build "the    guns" turret 1 & turret 2   :D I also will "dead stick" a spike on a "Genz bug" or a tear drop, again concentrating in flats in the weeds. It will be important to use the glowing jigs w / the snow pack.........
                                                                                                    zooplankton.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2008, 08:03 AM »
    Assumptions:  Moderate Clarity of water and mid Feb means there isnt going to be a lot of great weeds left for the most part.
                       We will only be fishing during the daytime
                       With the temps where they are at and not really reaching above freezing there wont be a lot of run off coming into the lake.
                       With a foot of snow on top of the mid season ice there isnt going to be nearly as much light penetration so fish a little bit shallower then normal

Presentation 1: Fish the channel near Johnny's Point.  Start shallow (4 FOW) and keep punching holes deeper to find the break.  Fish the base of the point and the outside of the weedline at the top of the break.  Shallow i would run jammin jigs green bobber fry with waxie and deeper i would run either the neon tiger jig or Fiskas 4mm wolfram jig glow colored with waxie/spike.  I would start my morning off here.

Presentation 2. Work the submerged vegetation in Snakes Bay.  Start in 6 FOW and start working out to deeper water until you run out of vegetation harboring fish (12 foot max range).  Fish with smaller jigs like the jammin jigs neon bobber fry or 4 mm fiskas wolfram jig in glow colors.

Presentation 3: Finish the day by working the marl starting from Shibbs creek inlet and heading north to Jack's honey hole in 8-15 feet of water.  Using a similar presentation of number 2 with smaller jigs to imitate plankton and the invertebrates which are going to be eating them during the light change.

Technique would be to pound the bottom in non vegetated areas and then a hold bait no more then 8-12" from the bottom.  In weedy areas i would present the lure right at or just above the top of the weed growth and use a lot of jigging action with pauses.

Equipment is gonna be a St Croix Legend 24" UL rod with medium spring for the smaller jigs and a 24" St Croix Premier ML rod for the jigging spoon.

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
    « Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:57 PM »

I just got back on the ice last season after 30 yrs. or so. I didn't Ice Fish MUCH before that either.
    Being an old fart with not a lot of energy to pull a sled all over the lake, I would first of course look out to see where a majority of Fishermen were at.
    If I got there and there was no one else there, I'd suggest to my partner ( you know you should have a partner ) that we should fish the area of Shibb's Creek Inlet.
    That area contains a lot of the basic things needed to hold Large Gills.
    Water flow from the inlet keeps fresh oxygenated water in the area.
    That flow also brings natural bait that the fish feed on.
    The oxygen level will help keep vegetation in fair shape during hard freeze and early growth in spring.
    The area has 4 break levels within a short distance.
    I would try from the edge of the 20 Ft. drop off back in to about 8ft or so depending on the condidtion of the ice around the inlet.
    Seeing that this contest is about catching Blue Gills, I'd save a few bucks and forget the minnows at that time of year. I would use Waxies or spikes.
    I would use a jigging technique with assorted weights and sizes suitable for the depth and structure/vegetation that was below. Find the bottom, lift a couple of inches then work up the depth table. Keep an eye on the Marcum for suspended or following fish.
     Seeing that our contest leader mentioned " The locals know what area ( not areas ) to fish"
    I will just go with this one shot.     Good Luck to all. ;D
    One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
    U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
    God Bless our Troops.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
    • Team Iowa!
    « Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:08 PM »
    Bluegill Locations/Depths
    In the winter as water cools, bluegill move into deeper water to spend the cold months. Bluegill often can be located over shoreline points and ridges or near brush and aquatic vegetation in 15 to 20 feet of water. Frequently, schools of similar-sized fish will move onto flats 10 to 12 feet deep to feed before moving back to deep water. Big bluegills gather in small groups, while the small ones are found in large schools.

Three locations I would fish
    1. Right off of Johnny’s Point in 15 foot flat
    2. Grumpy Shins Hole in about 20 foot of water
    3. Shibbs Creek Inlet in 15-20 foot of water

Gear 
    Gear includes Spud bar or Auger, ice dipper, rods, lures, bobbers, bait, and a sled or bucket. Underwater cameras can be handy for finding fish and seeing bites. Also sonar can be used to help mark fish when you are on a spot. Ice fishing rods equipped with 2 to 4-pound-test ice fishing line. It's best to have several rods tipped with different lures for quickly changing to different lures. Bluegills have small mouths and small hooks with a long shank are best to use for setting & removal of the hook.

Baits
    Live bait or good plastics work well. Wax worms, spikes, mousies, and goldenrod grubs are all good baits. Artificial baits suitable for catching bluegill are numerous. Dry flies, small poppers, & lead heads with feathers, rubber grubs, or twister tails all work.

Technique
    Use light line and tackle when bluegill fishing and you will catch more fish. Bluegill feed mainly on aquatic insects, which are slow moving creatures. Rarely do bluegills chase food items, so fish very slowly. This holds true whether you use artificial lures or live bait. When fishing with a bobber, use a bobber just big enough to suspend your lure and bait. Lower the baited lure to within a foot of the bottom, and set the bobber at that depth. Big bluegills tend to hang close to the bottom in winter and bite lightly. Watch your float closely for bites. On some bites the float will rise and lie on its side as a fish picks up your bait instead of pulling the bobber under. For artificial baits, spring bobbers and underwater cameras can be used to detect bites, and are pounded to entice the bluegill to bite the bait. Usually, bluegills are not alone. Once you catch one, cover the area and take a couple before moving. Don't fish unproductive areas longer than 15 minutes, and move frequently to find concentrations.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Just Fishin'
    « Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:47 PM »
    I'd go to the little area around the underwater point at 15' just south of Old Earls Hole. Looks like it has continued out that way from the stubby little peninsula just to the east of Johnnys Creek Inlet. It looks like it is nice little flat that could hold vegetation to keep the fish there. With both inlets flowing to that spot it should form a very slow moving eddy of freshly oxygenated water.
    I think this is where they are. I'd concentrate all my efforts here with the flasher to get on the fish. Then I'd drop the camera down to see how they react to either green and white Demon Glows or natural (fish pattern) Fat Boys (#12 & #14) tipped with spikes, waxies or wigglers. I think 2 lb. ultra clear micro ice line will do the trick.

:tipup:
    NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline perchkid

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2008, 03:27 PM »
    i would start at shibbs creek inlet in 15 foot on water and work my way over to johnnys point in 18-20 ft of water. if that didnt produce, grumpy Shins Hole in 20 foot of water.
    1.3 st.croix legend UL with 3 pound line with daiwa steezs
    2.6in hand auger
    3.VEXY!!
    4.spikes
    5.3 ice blues 48" UL with 2 Pound flouro and shimmano sedonas
    6.millions of fat boys and gill pills, genz worms and diamond jigs

jiggle, jiggle, mister. it's all how ya jiggle.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2008, 06:58 AM »
    i would start by punching a zip zag pattern of holes around that inside turn by Johnny Creek Inlet from the 5' lip out to the 10' break line. I am going to guess that fish found in this area will be within two feet of the bottom. If this is a sticky bottom area there should be fish here. i would start by fishing a fiskas or diamond jig in green, purple, or red shades tipped with one spike. I would use a pounding motion from  the bottom to two feet off and fish my series of holes for maybe 5-10 minutes a hole. If ididn't see any action or takers i would load back up and head over towards Shibbs Creek Inlet. I wouldn't have moved if i got into them, but we will assume that i didn't catch anything. I would switch tactics 180*. I would go off the break at shibbs Creek Inlet and punch a half moon of holes from the 10' mark out to and in the 20' of water. In this spot i will be looking for suspended fish. Seems as though a lot of these bowl lakes have fish that suspend over the deeper water. I would concentrate my efforts in this bowl fishing 7-12' down with Diamond jigs, fiskas, etc. Same shades as the first holes green, purple, or red depending on what happended at the first spot. If i have fish reject my presentation then i would probably swith color pattern first to something darker and less gaudy. If they still don't like it i might go to something more subtle like a fly and splitshot and no bait, dark colors first. If this doesn't work here i will go right out in the ceter of the lake between Old Toms and Jacks Honey Holes and drill a large circle of holes, say 100 yards in diameter looking for the suspended fish. Checking all the holes with my Lowrance 522c IGPS. If i find fish in only two of three of these holes in a row i will probably drill a smaller ring of holes around the ones that had fish in them. Finding the fish and then lowering down a fiskas with a swimming motion will be irresistable to them here.   

I am betting that fish will be biting the best the first two hours or daylight and the last two hours of dark. Middle of the day will be a waste here.

I will be using a 2313 Genz Stik with 2# CXX Moss Green Line and a Diawa Xi reel.

If this doesn't work i will go directly to the Liquor Store and get a 12 pack, go back to the hotel room and turn on the t.v.
    There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2008, 07:45 PM »
    To start, wake up nice n early, drink some coffee, check the weather forecast, and head to the lake...Once there I'd head over to Shibb's Creek inlet, I'd start out in about 10-15 f.o.w. sight fishing if possible. If not, fire up the camera and see what's happening,  I would use a Schooley reel with the Ice Blue's ultra light rod and 3 lb line with my chartreuse Genz Bug and red spikes, seems to work in the mornings around home. If no luck id try my red/black Marmooska and some red spikes. I would continue around thru South Bay fishing from 5-15 f.o.w. trying to find a hole in a weed bed of coontails, or a line where weeds run into silt or rocky bottom, and sit until they werent hitting anymore. continue on to Johnny's Creek inlet trying 5-15 f.o.w. switching up baits, presentations, colors, depths, and cover until finding fish. I would continue working the area from Shibb's Creek inlet to Johnny's Creek inlet...At the end of the day id have my limit of 25 panfish and would be headin to the truck thinking about the awesome day and the chore of cleaning this heavy bucket of fish...hopefully would have someone to share the great memories with later on down the road.
    -------   --------
              /
             / FISH THE HARD STUFF
            /
       ><>

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:52 PM »
    here it is plain and simple, I am a wanderer, I have my sled, my marcum vx3 tc a couple of st. croix legand rods, some gill pills and genz bugs, spikes, and waxies, and my auger. first I am looking shallow for the weeds in the 5 -8 foot range, if that don't produce I am looking for the edge of the weeds, and that ususally does it. I am not the kind of person to leave fish to find fish, but if there are no size to them... gotta go. ok so I found a spot in 15 fow that has a nice hump and my marcum is showing me that there is alot of slabbos so now I am dropping apretty little gill pill tipped with two spikes down to 14 feet and one eye on the marcum and the other on the croix ... bam the first of many rather large gills of the day.... once again I think to myself.... life is good....MM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.