Author Topic: Ice in the Hills  (Read 10500 times)

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
Ice in the Hills
« on: Nov 10, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Anyone see anything skimmng over yet?  Drove back from Mobridge a week ago and seen some ponds getting ice.  I havent been up in the hills for about a month.  Where they biting?
We got a 4.5 lb small mouth in Mobridge and limited out on walleye.

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice in the Hills
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2012, 02:02 PM »
the pond off exit 17 was froze this morning, looked pretty solid. This upcoming spell of warm weather won't help, tho.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Hey KingCat

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Friend says river is wide open in Mobridge and Pollack.  Anyone see Deerfield?  Hoping to go somewhere over Thanksgiving

Offline cadreau87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:42 PM »
I was hunting this past weekend and camped at newell lake. Saturday and Sunday were cold cold and by yesterday the entire lake was entirely skimmed over. That's a good sign.

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:42 AM »
Someone posted a pic on the ice yesterday-did anyone hear how thick?  I planned on going to deerfield Sat morning to try for alittle bit.  Maybe a bay or 1 is safe.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2012, 11:37 PM »
Looked pretty thin to me.  I've fished with that guy before, he's pretty reckless, I wouldn't fish near him

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:39 AM »
From the pic-I was guessin 3".  Maybe I'll drive up take a peek if not then maybe go mt biking before too much snow. 
Just getting an inch to fish. 
I had friends back in WI that will go on ice next to open water if walleye biting-Im not that daring.

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Deerfield, horsetheif, lakota lake all wide open this morning.  Mitchell lake had ice-not sure safe n never caught anything
there.  Sunny gulch has 3" ice but didnt mark anything.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I just knocked the snot out of perch at Sheridan in my boat today. Got a limit in 2 hours, and 7 were 11 inches. 1 was 11.5" There is ice forming on Sheridan, and it comes to almost half way up the highway parking lot. That's a good sign that we're right on schedule for ice. Don't take any unnecessary risks guys, we're only about 2 weeks from being able to do this safely.  ;D  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I just knocked the snot out of perch at Sheridan in my boat today. Got a limit in 2 hours, and 7 were 11 inches. 1 was 11.5" There is ice forming on Sheridan, and it comes to almost half way up the highway parking lot. That's a good sign that we're right on schedule for ice. Don't take any unnecessary risks guys, we're only about 2 weeks from being able to do this safely.  ;D  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
  :thumbsup:

Offline black hills tj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:10 PM »
Craigs posting pictures out on the ice already!  Hopefully I can find good ice on the east side of the state soon!

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:38 PM »
Anybody been down south to Stockade yet?  Julius, any ice happening down there yet?

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:41 PM »
It was driving a couple of us nuts so we went for a drive just to see. Found a little ice at Sheridan. The dude that was with me is a water rescue and ice rescue instructor so I take stock in his opinion. No way was he getting on that ice. Now, with it being in the mid to upper 60's this week, I'm really writing off any aspirations of fishing Black Friday or on Sunday. On the ice at least. It's not worth going in the drink. Buddy got his boat out and we're hitting Angustora Wednesday. Maybe some Walleye for dinner on Thanksgiving instead of turkey. Be safe out there this weekend fellas. Ice will show up soon enough.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I'm almost sure there is fishable ice on our smaller hills lakes. Yes, there is ice on Stockade and Sheridan by their inlets, but as was mentioned above, it's not ready to walk on. The good thing to think about is that it's all staged up for totally freezing up next week. the water is in the 30s and it will only take a 24 hr period to close it all up. Then 3 or 4 days to make it good and safe. I plan to be fishing somewhere next Friday, (the 30th) and I'm positive it will happen.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Well, any new updates over the past couple of ways?  I probably won't be able to make it out anywhere until next weekend, so i'm sure there'll be safe ice somewhere

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I just heard from one of my buddies....there is no real ice anywhere. All of the ice that was on Sheridan is gone. There is a little on Horsethief, but not much. I guess I will take my boat to Stockade next Friday. Prolly be the first weekend of December before it's safe ice. This isn't gonna be a good year for four wheelers and other vehicles. Hope y'all got shacks you can pull on foot. We get a little cold snap next week, but then back to the 50s. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Don't say its going to be a bad year for atv's roy I bought a old Polaris this year just for ice fishing/hunting lol. Its snowing now in Spearfish and suppose to be low 40-30's all weeks. Better get my stuff ready
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Sending positive thoughts of snow, ice and sleet everyone's way!  :tipup:

Offline efoesch4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GO PACK!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Not looking good for ice in NEB.  Chadron on down to Sidney.  Didn't see any ice on a trip down there today.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2012, 08:13 AM »
The 10 day forecast doesn't look very good for making ice  >:(

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2012, 10:18 AM »
I just heard that Wagner dam is half froze over. That's a good sign as that is an artesian fed, warm water impoundment.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:23 PM »
I don't care if I am in a float tube, the ice rods are getting used this weekend.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I don't care if I am in a float tube, the ice rods are getting used this weekend.
:thumbsup:

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:25 AM »
I got a buddy who's gonna do a scouting run tomorrow. I should have something to post. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Longview Pond in Rapid Valley froze over finally. It's only got about an inch, maybe 2, of ice but I didn't see any open water. It's a start anyway.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:30 AM »
The ice is forming, but doubtful it will be ready by this weekend. Horsethief is almost closed up, Stockade is open in the middle yet, but skinned over mostly. Deerfield has pretty good ice forming at the inlet, but not where the fish are. Big warm front this weekend won't help, but by next weekend there should be some safe ice somewhere. I have a very good buddy who put 140 miles on his car yesterday to get me that info, and he showed me pictures of each lake from different angles. I think I owe him a steak and some brews!  ;D  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:18 PM »
Dalton has ice over almost all of it but it's not safe to walk on yet. Reusaw had some ice on it too. Didn't make it to Roubaix.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Has anyone checked out some of the smaller trout lakes up in the hills for ice?  Maybe even the boy scout camp?

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I went by Sheridan today and the ice is still out to the end of the parking lot along the hiway. It has a bit of water on top of it, but it looks like good thick clear ice. Next weekend the smaller lakes should be good to go.(I hope)  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.