Author Topic: Buddy Flex VS Big Buddy  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
Buddy Flex VS Big Buddy
« on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:37 PM »
I'm planning a fair amount of camping trips on the ice this year and I need to upgrade my heater to accommodate my Otter Vortex Resort. Right now the Buddy Flex is the same price as the big buddy. I'm intrigued by the heater and cooker combo (yes I know the cooker is sold separate.) It would be nice to save room/weight by leaving my dual burner camp stove at home on these trips.   

Anyone here got their hands on one of these units yet?

Thanks! 
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Buddy Flex VS Big Buddy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:42 PM »
BTU difference ..but if you cook on the ice often it is a viable option to consider
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Also keep in mind that you can't run both the heater and cooker at the same time, it's one or the other.  Probably not that big of a deal since cooking doesn't take that long, but something to consider.  I run the Big Buddy in my Otter XTH Pro Resort and when I plan to cook, I bring along a 1lb tank top propane burner and a cast iron skillet.

This is the burner I've got:  https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Bottle-Propane-Stove-Green/dp/B0009PUR5E/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=single+propane+burner&qid=1609271408&sr=8-20

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:13 PM »
I use the Mr Buddy Portable for heat, and Coleman 2-burner stove for cooking. That single propane burner sitting on the 1 lb propane bottle is just crying out to get knocked over. 

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2020, 08:42 AM »
I went from a sunflower heater on a stand to the flex this year. Getting the sunflower heater to light in anything colder then -15c was a pain and was always awkward to pack. So far the flex has been easy to light in -20c and packs in the sled really nice. I really like how there is room on top of the flex to warm up frozen minnows or gloves. I don't think it's by design but it works great. I still use my 1lb tank top cooker but I also have a stand that came with another heater by coleman which really helps stabilize the bottle, don't ever worry about it tipping. I will probably get the cooker accessory for the flex when I see it on sale. I think it will help bring the heater off the ice a bit to stop melting.
I also see them coming out with a fan accessory and some others for the flex.
Sorry no input into the big buddy. I see everyone uses them though. I haven't looked into weight comparisons yet but should.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2020, 09:39 AM »
I went from a sunflower heater on a stand to the flex this year. Getting the sunflower heater to light in anything colder then -15c was a pain and was always awkward to pack. So far the flex has been easy to light in -20c and packs in the sled really nice. I really like how there is room on top of the flex to warm up frozen minnows or gloves. I don't think it's by design but it works great. I still use my 1lb tank top cooker but I also have a stand that came with another heater by coleman which really helps stabilize the bottle, don't ever worry about it tipping. I will probably get the cooker accessory for the flex when I see it on sale. I think it will help bring the heater off the ice a bit to stop melting.
I also see them coming out with a fan accessory and some others for the flex.
Sorry no input into the big buddy. I see everyone uses them though. I haven't looked into weight comparisons yet but should.

Here are the weights with the stove I usually run. Be nice to save the 12# not to mention save some room in the sled.

Flex- 11.02#
Flex Cooker- 6.17#
Big Buddy- 17#
Camp Chef Everest- 12#

I will probably get the cooker accessory for the flex when I see it on sale. I think it will help bring the heater off the ice a bit to stop melting.

How hot is the bottom front? You think it will melt foam pads?

Also is there a way to light the pilot manually incase the ignition battery dies?

Thanks for the input!

The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Funny, I just went from my Portable buddy to a Little Buddy this year. The Portable was too hot even on low.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2020, 11:47 AM »
I love the idea of this but the fact that its 2 speperate and kinda bulky units makes me wonder...i dont need this do i?
also i couldnt help but notice in a video i watched, when looking to the heater the quick hose connect is on the right side of the heater, then the other end plugs into the right side of the cooker...this seems, off. looks awkward..seems the heater should have connection on right and cooker on left for streamline connection...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2020, 05:05 PM »
I love the idea of this but the fact that its 2 speperate and kinda bulky units makes me wonder...i dont need this do i?
also i couldnt help but notice in a video i watched, when looking to the heater the quick hose connect is on the right side of the heater, then the other end plugs into the right side of the cooker...this seems, off. looks awkward..seems the heater should have connection on right and cooker on left for streamline connection...

Yeah, they must think one is standing from the back side of the set up.  Duh...who does that?  I'm in an ice shack.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Want to bump this...
my portable heater buddy may need retirement...
do i clean it and save my $ ? probably but i like new things...
Im tossing up idea for big buddy or flex....
i like that flex has same design to make a heating rack on it for quick cooking or heating...the flex design forces you to buy the attached cooking unit (which probaby wouldnt be bad to have) i cant decide. ::)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:46 AM »
I have the little buddy single bottle heater that I fashioned the cooking grate to the top of and love it. I just heat up precooked stews and chili but it works perfect in my 2 man shanty and does double duty heating and cooking. I just bought the Big Buddy MH18B model that has 2 tanks and a fan I plan to use in my big Otter XT Pro Resort shanty. I will fashion some sort of cooking/heating grate on it as well. The new Big guy also has a quick connect to bypass the 1 pound tanks and use a 5 or 20 pound external tank instead. The hose for that option is a bit costly at around $55 but I might spring for it if I find it on sale or used one of these days. I ran both heaters side by side in my garage last week just to see how much more heat the big one put out and if the fan actually makes much difference and I was blown away literally. The big buddy on high setting with the fan blowing sure does pump out lots of heat and I doubt I will ever need the fan or the high setting in the big Otter flip.
My one and only complaint with all of these Mr. Heaters is the pilot light getting blown out with the slightest wind.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:51 AM »
I have the little buddy single bottle heater that I fashioned the cooking grate to the top of and love it. I just heat up precooked stews and chili but it works perfect in my 2 man shanty and does double duty heating and cooking. I just bought the Big Buddy MH18B model that has 2 tanks and a fan I plan to use in my big Otter XT Pro Resort shanty. I will fashion some sort of cooking/heating grate on it as well. The new Big guy also has a quick connect to bypass the 1 pound tanks and use a 5 or 20 pound external tank instead. The hose for that option is a bit costly at around $55 but I might spring for it if I find it on sale or used one of these days. I ran both heaters side by side in my garage last week just to see how much more heat the big one put out and if the fan actually makes much difference and I was blown away literally. The big buddy on high setting with the fan blowing sure does pump out lots of heat and I doubt I will ever need the fan or the high setting in the big Otter flip.
My one and only complaint with all of these Mr. Heaters is the pilot light getting blown out with the slightest wind.

I thought they discontinued the fan on those? Doesn't show it in their manual, either.... ???
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:06 AM »

I thought they discontinued the fan on those? Doesn't show it in their manual, either.... ???

I believe you are correct and I have no idea why they discontinued the fan because it works great. I bought this used from a guy who has had it a few years and never used it. The best I can tell from reading is the parts for the fans got caught in the trade wars from China.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Oh, I thought you just bought it.....clears that up! I wanted to get one, IF they had the fan....Thanks!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Oh, I thought you just bought it.....clears that up! I wanted to get one, IF they had the fan....Thanks!

I did just buy it 2 weeks ago but from a guy who got it as a gift a few years back and never took it out of the box. The fan is not all that powerful but it blows through the top vents and it does move the air quite nicely away and out to the front. I have to wonder if they left the vents in the newer models and just didn't instal the fans and switch because they couldn't get them from China. One guy on another forum told me the tariffs made the fan parts too expensive so Mr. Heater just quit putting them in this model. Good score for me and I really do like this unit but it is about twice the size of my little buddy and twice the weight.
It might be possible with some searching to find a NOS, (New Old Stock), one with the blower sitting in inventory somewhere.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Thinking about going from my Circa 2000 Portable Buddy and upgrading to the Hunting Buddy..lil more BTUs . Now to find a deal .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gent83301

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:56 PM »
the fan was discontinued due to tarrifs,  But there is a 3rd party you can purchase the parts and put it right back together.   Or just use stove fan (no batteries)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Thinking about going from my Circa 2000 Portable Buddy and upgrading to the Hunting Buddy..lil more BTUs . Now to find a deal .
I pulled the trigger on the flex and cooker attachment, on sale on academy sports. i paid 175 for heater and cooker shipped! coming from georgia in 2 days..i just checked , big buddy not on sale, sorry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.