The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: nobody really cares about fish  (Read 8003 times)

Offline fridayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: nobody really cares about fish
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:32 PM »
I see some truth in this post. mammals get treated better than fish. white people better than colored. males better than females. animals worse than people. not sure if insects are superior to plants but they both get no rights.someday everyone and everything will be treated equal...poor little fish.... I get it ccc.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:24 AM »
I see some truth in this post. mammals get treated better than fish. white people better than colored. males better than females. animals worse than people. not sure if insects are superior to plants but they both get no rights.someday everyone and everything will be treated equal...poor little fish.... I get it ccc.
Do you need to go to your safe place?
Dont ask

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Buying a fishing license means I care about fish. Fairly sure that is where Fish&Game gets most of its money to run all the hatcheries that stock millions of fish every year into the lakes n such. If I can I catch n release, taking care not to hurt the fish or keep it out of the water any longer than necessary and watching to make sure it swims away. Never harvest more than I will consume. Follow all the rules and regulations. Frankly I think I care about the Fish about as much as any responsible fisherman does, I guess. 
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:41 PM »
been away from the site for a few days......yes...nobody cares about fish?...was definitely click bait on my part...kinda like showing some boobs to grab attention...Cpt hoss..caught it... the whole point was about how making the harvest easy may or may not affect things in future...and bobber brought up good points as well..and pp....nobody should get their panties in a wad...its good food for thought to consider how the technologies will affect populations...and once again..no way in hell we would allow certain technologies to harvest deer and elk..thank god..but for fish?...yah...they are just fish....good spiel as well f fish.....

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Sorry chris ,i for 1 did take it to litteral .you  and others brought up some good points to ponder.now im going to unbunch my panties (there starting to chaff).have a good rest of the season.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Fish were made to eat. They're the great equalizer. White, black, asian, native american....bears, otters, herons, eagles....everyone and everything can catch and eat them. They level out the playing field. :icefish:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2020, 11:45 PM »
Baiting is about as un-fair chase as you can get. Montana is built on the values of fair chase and I will advocate for keeping it that way the rest of my life. If you don’t like it go back to your home state. Harder to be “successful” when you can’t bait isn’t it? Lol
I agree!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:36 AM »
.and once again..no way in hell we would allow certain technologies to harvest deer and elk..thank god..but for fish?..

Can you be a bit more specific on what technology?   Keeping in mind that comparing deer or elk to fish, is like comparing railroads to roads built for cars.    In either case, they are worlds apart, as in "No way would we allow railroads to operate in the same manner as we allow car traffic to operate".
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2020, 10:02 AM »
I personally feel that as sportsmen we should never participate in in fighting of any kind, when the activity in question is done legally. Just because it doesn't interest you personally doesn't mean it doesn't have its place. Baiting bears for example, is one of the most effective ways to successfully target mature bears. I don't have any interest in it, and it's not legal in my state, but I understand it's use where legal. As far as anti hunting/trapping initiatives are concerned it's a death by 1,000 cuts. The more we cut our selves the easier we make it for special interest groups like Footloose, HSUS, PETA, Wildlife Defense League etc to gain traction.

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2020, 10:28 AM »
I personally feel that as sportsmen we should never participate in in fighting of any kind, when the activity in question is done legally. Just because it doesn't interest you personally doesn't mean it doesn't have its place. Baiting bears for example, is one of the most effective ways to successfully target mature bears. I don't have any interest in it, and it's not legal in my state, but I understand it's use where legal. As far as anti hunting/trapping initiatives are concerned it's a death by 1,000 cuts. The more we cut our selves the easier we make it for special interest groups like Footloose, HSUS, PETA, Wildlife Defense League etc to gain traction.

Agreed. If it's legal you why would you give someone a hard time for keeping a big fish, or using worms vs flies, or shooting coyotes, or hunting a bear over a barrel of donuts? Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean they don't have the right to do it; they bought their license just like you did. We need to encourage everyone who is outside utilizing and supporting the resources. The number of hunters nationwide is dropping every year. If you don't agree with a rule, season or limit go the public G&F meetings that are held every year and voice your concern to the G&F folks that can actually change the rules.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2020, 06:59 AM »
  Exactly right...we have to stick together as sportsmen.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2020, 01:45 PM »
I personally feel that as sportsmen we should never participate in in fighting of any kind, when the activity in question is done legally.

Agreed...to a point.  Just because an activity is legal does not necessarily mean everyone (even a majority) believes it to be ethical or qualify as fair chase.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2020, 04:08 PM »
well said..once again..born late's wisdom is spot on....

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Well in my state, it seem no one cares unless it’s trout or salmon. Maine has some very strict laws, but all are geared towards protecting trout, bass are somewhat protected in the southern half. there is no limit on panfish here, an no one wants them. Wanton waste doesn’t apply to fish, so junk fish are often left out to feed the eagles.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Agreed...to a point.  Just because an activity is legal does not necessarily mean everyone (even a majority) believes it to be ethical or qualify as fair chase.

Very interesting comment and I would like to know more about your concerns. So what exactly is your main concern as to what legal activity is ethically repugnant to you. Chumming? Fishing with two lines? Flashers? Two hooks to a line? Being "concerned" about ethics is one thing. Being specific is another. Being a 73 year old outdoorsman that has been very active in archery, general season, fishing, boating, etc,  observing the changes over at least 50 years, I can point out dozens of issues that have changed, some I consider good, some not so good. What are your exact points?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2020, 06:17 PM »
An ice fishing related example is the intersection of unattended lines and daily bag limits. It is legal in some lakes to leave 6 unattended lines overnight yet the daily bag limit is less than 6 for several species. From what I’ve observed, there is poor survival of fish left on the line for hours even when a circle hook is used. It’s legal but is it ethical to leave out, for example, 6 tip-ups overnight in a lake with a daily bag limit of 3 lake trout or sauger?

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2020, 06:27 PM »
I gots one. Chasing around elk on foot and off road vehicles this time of year even though the cows are pregnant and stressed and the herds are stressed from winter and hunting season just to be greedy and find their horns. Knock it the f*** off

Tinker

« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:15 AM »
How about catch and release snagging of paddlefish.  Whiskey Tango.............

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:24 AM »
How about catch and release snagging of paddlefish.  Whiskey Tango.............

That made my list as well.  🤔

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2020, 11:35 AM »
never did understand that..............

Offline Aonghuis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:07 PM »
I fear for the future generations also....like the fact that most states and even nations for that matter are struggling with the dramatic decrease in younger generations even going outside much less participating in a blood sport.  Therefore no money for conservation and things like raising fish to plant for consumption.  I don't think the camera/sonar is bad.  I own both but only use them when trying to turn people on to ice fishing.  My kids were adults the first time they went ice fishing with gadgets.  Now they can't get enough of it.  They make more sense to a generation that grew up on video game.

Plenty of people use game cameras in the off season to scout and range finders before pulling back thier bow or pulling the trigger.
Catch and release paddle fishing never made sense to me either but I've known plenty of good people that practiced it so meh, I'll trust the biologists and fishery managers on that one.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.