Author Topic: Nifty Lift  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Nifty Lift
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Well, pulled the trigger on one of these after watching a few YouTube videos - sucker born every minute...  Plan on stowing it in the snowmobile to use in the event a machine gets stuck in slush or have to get a non-running sled/ATV back up onto the trailer, with potential other uses around the house/garage/shop as well, I suppose.

https://nifty-lift.com/

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Nifty Lift
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Keep us posted with your thoughts, I’ve considered buying one just cant get over the price.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Harbor freight version is only $16 and comes with a Gambrel.   https://www.harborfreight.com/gambrel-and-pulley-hoist-99758.html

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Keep us posted with your thoughts, I’ve considered buying one just cant get over the price.

Shall do.  I struggled with the cost as well, but I'm not getting any younger and that snowmobile seems to be getting heavier every year.  I've had some less than stellar experiences with a few of the items I've gotten at HF and wanted something with some quality that I can trust will be reliable in a stressful situation.  The reviewers in the videos I watched all remarked about the high quality of the build - we'll see. 

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Got the Nifty-Lift delivered and have only had a chance to look it over, but my reaction is pretty much like what the YouTube reviewers have had - it is small but very well made, and you wonder about the plastic rope cleat.  The machining and assembly have an excellent fit and finish with a very smooth working action.  The rope/cord is quite small in diameter (3/16" to 1/4"??) and pliable and is rated to 1,700 pounds per Nifty-Lift, where the assembly is stamped with a 700 pound rating.  YouTube users have used this beyond those capacities and the rig has held up - one video discusses that it was tested to failure and it gave at around 5,600 pounds.  Comes packaged in a plastic case small enough to easily fit in my snowmobiles storage in the back end of the seat.  I'll be testing it for function by pulling my sled up from the ground up onto the trailer, so again - we'll see.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2019, 01:04 PM »
A great addition to this would be a bar that could be used to anchor to a hole drilled in the ice. If you have an 8" auger, then a bar that is 12 or so inches long with loops at one end and in the middle will allow you to drill a hole, drop it through and use it as an anchor point to pull yourself out. The loop in the middle is the strong anchor, and the one on the end is to tie on a rope to retrieve it after you have used the anchor to pull yourself out. I have a nifty lift as well and was impressed with the build quality.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:26 PM »
I don't have a Nifty Lift but do have a winch on my ATV. As far as drilling a hole and dropping something thru to anchor against, A cool small and light tool is the "Angel Anchor". Drilling all the way through the ice and making slush isn't required with it, just need to drill down about 8" deep. If I had a snowmobile I'd have the Nifty.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:41 AM »
After a little googling, I assume you mean the Ice Angel, foldable ice anchor. Are they strong enough when set to use a winch on them? I wanted to get a winch-in-a-bag to pull my truck out if stuck, but did not think these would provide that strong of an anchor point. I also use a 10" auger, do these dig in really well in a larger hole?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:38 AM »
I have a set of the Ice Angels that I picked up a couple years ago, but concerned they might not hold up - I will give them a test run and see.  I am currently making up a winch bar setup similar to your concept Warren_G, but I am using some square stock tubing with an eye bolt lifting ring.   Got the idea from a past IS thread...

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=292340.0

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Spend the money for whatever keeps you safe and injury free.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I have a great come-along that I use and it is very strong and easy. Your Nifty Lift, however, is nice and small and easy to "pocket" until it is needed.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.