Author Topic: Beaver Dam Tipups  (Read 7457 times)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Beaver Dam Tipups
« on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:28 PM »
What is your thought on Beaver Dam Tipups? Are they worth the money? Do they perform well?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beaver Dam Tipups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:34 PM »
They are the best tip up out there.. i have some that my dad gave me when i was a kid (20years ago) . I have 9 of them and they work great

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I have to agree, they are the best and can last forever.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Well worth the money. They should last you a lifetime if you take care of them.

Offline eyeman3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:08 AM »
they are the best tip up out there hands down. ive been using since my dad broght me out on the ice when i could first start walking just so he could get the 3 extra tip ups in haha but spend the money on them and you wont have to buy another 3tip ups again

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:46 AM »
  The best, but pricey. I have one that my father bought me in the early 70's still in operation. I have the 25th anniversary tip-up and was thinking about getting the 50th as well, but they want 75.00 for it wow. The company is now owned by Uncle Josh Bait Co. and their still being made in Wisconsin.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:39 AM »
I have 5 beaver dams and have no complaints at all. I am sure my sons will inherit them as they will outlast me. I can't even guess how many fish have been caught on them. Are they the best? I dont know. My oldest son is is just getting started on his gear collection. He could only afford the frabill classic. When fishing with me they seem to catch just as many fish. Quality is not nearly as good though. Sure when he gets squared away he will pick up a few beaver dams. If you can afford them, Buy them. You will never regret it.   Steve

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:56 AM »
My Beaver Dam's are about 35 years old and still going strong (I had to relube them once during that time). You won't regret purchasing them.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:01 AM »
If your willin to pay 75 BUCKS  for a tip up, more power to ya, I'm sure who ever owns BD now Appreciates it ! :thumbsup:

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:54 AM »
If your willin to pay 75 BUCKS  for a tip up, more power to ya, I'm sure who ever owns BD now Appreciates it ! :thumbsup:

I'm not paying that much for a Tip-up and didn't say I was. I will spend that on a quality rod though.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Uncle Josh site says $50. and free shipping in lower 48.

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Fleet farm has 4 different colors for 39.99...check them out

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
A Dissenting Opinion
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Beaver Dams are worshiped by ice anglers that were brought up "old school" and for good reason. They were the first reliable tip improvement over the stick type and being made here in WI makes this state a hot bed of BD users.

I did not have the benefit of being raised an ice fisherman (I had to discover I was crazy all by myself) so when I was 20something and went to tackle up, I bought a product that wouldn't break the bank - HT Polars. I got my first two in 1981 and I still have and use them. For my money now (and then) the Polar value rocks.

IMO Polars have a few advantages:
  • Less weight (though on very windy days that can sometime be a disadvantage)
  • Ease of maintenance - I can clean and re-lube a Polar in about 10 minutes or less. I takes me that long just to get the spool off a BD.
  • Plastic bases are super durable, won't freeze down and accept mods easily
  • I think they pick up faster/easier than BDs, but I know BD guys that are pretty practiced.
  • Don't forget the price - off season I can sometimes find 'em for $10 or less

• That said, Beaver Dams enjoy a good reputation because they earned it. It's up to you to decide if they're worth the extra $$$. Me? I'll stick with value and function; never had a reason to want to own one.

Just my opinion based on my experience...user mileage may vary.

/mike

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
    « Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:09 PM »
    Have a number of them and love them.  That said, I also have other brands that are cheaper.  Like anything else, even a good product can out-price it's followers.  Hope BD doesn't end that, but I know they've gone up $10-15 in the last few years. 

Offline berk

• IceShanty Rookie
    • Livin' the High Life
    « Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2011, 06:31 PM »
    I'll echo esox's comments, Beaver Dam is a great tipup, but Polars work very well at a much more wallet-friendly price point, and like anything, if you take care of them they'll last a very long time.  Actually, for the current retail price of a Beaver Dam you could buy three Polars and have money left over for line and hooks.  All depends on how much you have to spend....
    TIP UP!

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:13 PM »
    Tibbs posted about the 50th anniversary BDs he saw and it wasn't good at all, the workmanship was really bad !

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2011, 09:43 PM »
    Da Buckless Yooper

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2011, 11:26 PM »
    Here on Lake Champlain we're allowed 15 tipups. Wouldn't mind them with the paging systems for night eyes also. Could anyone lend me $1350?

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • I drill holes - lots of holes
    « Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:40 AM »
    I honestly believe I get a smoother flag trip and better turning spindle on my Frabill Thermals and HT Polars than I did on my Beaver Dams.  As a matter of fact, I sold my Beaver Dams at our garage sale this past summer.   The poster above that said 'Old School' hit it squarely on the head. 

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:08 PM »
    Have a couple beaver dam tip ups, agreed great product. Couple things, the spools do not hold alot of line and there is no line winder. I can deal without the line winder i just won't let anybody else wind them in and put them away. They are the smoothest tip up i own and they have great customer service.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:22 PM »
    BD are a great tip-up. I own 6, but all others mention will catch fish just the same. Its what you put under the ice that's most important, not above it.....would I buy them again? absolutely...  :tipup: Fish on!
    We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline just mike

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 02:13 AM »
    I felt bad having to modify a $35.00 tipup but I cut a half inch pipe cap down to about 1/4 inches and jb welded it to the bottom of the spool. gives my frozen finger a nub to grip when winding them up.

Offline eyeman3

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:34 AM »
    I felt bad having to modify a $35.00 tipup but I cut a half inch pipe cap down to about 1/4 inches and jb welded it to the bottom of the spool. gives my frozen finger a nub to grip when winding them up.
    beaver dam makes a tip up winder its like 2.99 at fleet farm

Offline 1fastz28

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:55 PM »
    I have one of those winders and I personally don't like it. I also own many Beaver Dams and really like them. The price seems to be getting a little out of hand though.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • I get the SLOW bite alot!
    « Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:13 PM »
    <-----This wyoming boy has NO idea what you are talking about.  Whos got a pic of a Beaver Dam tip-up?
    ><{{{{*>~---

Offline bigbear32

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:30 PM »
    Hands down the best tip up out there as far as I am concerned. Have 5 of them that are 25 years old and work fine, only have replaced the flags on them! Take care of them and they will last you a life time.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:17 PM »
    <-----This wyoming boy has NO idea what you are talking about.  Whos got a pic of a Beaver Dam tip-up?

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:19 PM »
    That is an awsome bd. I wish i had those flags on mine

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:39 PM »
    I bought my first Beaver dam Arctic fisherman in the late seventies. It has fished hard every year since with no problems. Yeh, a little knob on the spool would be ok...but like the above person mentioned i carefully my lines when I am done.
    Most HT stuff is junk...that said the Polar traps are inexpensive but quality items. If money is an issue go with the Polars...the Beaver Dams are wood and just quality.
    I also fish the New England style cross traps...modified Heritage Lakers. Beaver Dams and Polars have a big advantage you can see trap spinning when fish is taking line. The cross traps more visible and have bigger spools....I like both styles.
    I've been at this game a long time and I would give some advice to the new comers....first start out with decent but inexpensive gear you really have five areas auger, clothes, tackle, electronics and shelter. (The electronics is expensive and relatively new part of the game) Spend enough money so you have no weak links. If you get serious buy one high quality addition each year....after a while you will  be upgrading and downsizing.
    "The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
    « Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:39 PM »
    Beaver Dams are the mercedes of tip ups. I have used them for many many years with no problems.  Excellent quality.  I am glad that I already own them so I  dont have to pay $40.00 per tip up.  That being said, in my opinion, Beaver Dams are by far the best tip up on the market today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.