New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: small boat harbor  (Read 20187 times)

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
Re: small boat harbor
« Reply #60 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:00 PM »
union ship canal was good 8 to 10 inches off were we were we were catching some decent perch the one guy we were with got a nice 24 inch steely on a minnow head gl all stay safe im going back out this weekend
And so it begins........

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Thanks Iceman for an update, I will be there probably Saturday morning. If you have any more it is greatly appreciated
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Ship canal is good, a lot of pressure cracks and slop on shore ice from snow. Caught handful of dink perch a gill handful smelt and two nice 10" perch

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:27 PM »
two of my buddies were there two kept two steelies   and 22 perch :thumbsup:   bigfish       :clap: :clap:

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I was there from 8-130 in the blue otter hut, a lot of bait fish by where I was.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 AM »
I drove by SBH yesterday seen a handful of guys out there, a lot of water on top, one guy made the phrase that it looked like swiss cheese out there.

Offline novacaine111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2014, 12:18 PM »
3rd times a charm

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Fished 8am-2pm today a bit breezy this morning then it settled down some ...ice was slick as baby poops ice was in great shape still 8" all black...for me the fish were fin-i-cky but managed to finesse em a bit to grab on..buddy lost a huge steelie after about 15min. 24" ul with 3lb test was no match for this fish but my buddy proved to be a worthy adversary 1-0 mr. Steelie...had em at the hole once and mr. Steelie took the fight to a whole new level..all in all a fun day and kept a few for a snack.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I will be going in the am down there just put some screws on the bottom of my boots 4 cleats and made a new spud bar out of an old jackhammer tip and a broom handle lol i know sounds ghetto but at least it will work just got a new jig kit in the mail for steelys hopefully we can get some out of there will keep you all updated!
And so it begins........

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2014, 08:45 PM »
I will be going in the am down there just put some screws on zthe bottom of my boots 4 cleats and made a new spud bar out of an old jackhammer tip and a broom handle lol i know sounds ghetto but at least it will work just got a new jig kit in the mail for steelys hopefully we can get some out of there will keep you all updated!

They are definitely there ive caught more than a few over the years and ive never targeted them...caught em on hook and minnow and tiny jig with a spike and everything in between...pike are there to be had as well but ive never seen any real gators but im sure they gotta be down there.

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 19, 2014, 11:45 AM »
My buddy and I were there from about 830 - 12 until we got blown off the ice. We were off of the pipes.  Caught a few dink perch and bluegills. Lost one nice perch at the hole when my jigging rap got hooked on the ice. Probably 10 or so inches. The ice was about 8-9 inches and real slick. Forgot my creepers so it was a tough walk. Good time until the wind really picked up.
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline christopherallenism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I thought my tent was gonna break, i was also on the pipe side. slick and windy I made sure to set up on a snow drift so I didn't blow away, managed a small pike and a few blah blah blahs. Ice was great, is therefishing to be had on the outside of the break wall? Is the ice anywhere near good? It seems like it would be great to be able to set up some tip ups and shines on the further out wall...... Fun day, I also learned how to remove a gamakatsu from deep within my thumb!
take it

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:08 PM »
....... is therefishing to be had on the outside of the break wall? Is the ice anywhere near good? It seems like it would be great to be able to set up some tip ups and shines on the further out wall......
it's not recommended to fish that channel between the inner and outer wall or even try and go past the break wall. believe it or not but there is current in these areas. remember, it's not far from the mouth of the mighty Niagara river. if it was safe or even great fishing, you would see people fish those areas over the years on hard water.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline christopherallenism

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 19, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Yea I figured! I went to chatauqua yesterday and had more fun at sbh to be honest
take it

Offline St_croix_icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Went today got a bunch of small fish and one keeper

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 19, 2014, 06:59 PM »
Fished today dawn till 10 - kept 3 9"perch. Just enough for a nice fish sandwich . Wind was howling early and got stronger as the morning went on. Ice was solid 8-10"

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:50 AM »
I also went Sunday morning. Was on the ice at 7:30 till 9:30 before the wind picked up. Didn't get a nibble so I decided to pack up and head home. Little slushy by the boat ramps.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline wydrew9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Are weeds still an issue currently?

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:53 AM »
Not at all their all matted down at the bottom
And so it begins........

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:14 AM »
Always wondered about between the breakwalls, and also just outside the 2nd wall. Caught walleye out there during open water. Drive by this area everyday, and seems iced up to near Peace Bridge. Seems there would be safe ice outside those walls if there is 8" of ice in the harbor,maybe not with the current though. Might have to check next week if sturgeon pt. is not an option. NOT RECOMMENDIN ANYBODY CHECK IT OUT!

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Always wondered about between the breakwalls, and also just outside the 2nd wall. Caught walleye out there during open water. Drive by this area everyday, and seems iced up to near Peace Bridge. Seems there would be safe ice outside those walls if there is 8" of ice in the harbor,maybe not with the current though. Might have to check next week if sturgeon pt. is not an option. NOT RECOMMENDIN ANYBODY CHECK IT OUT!
Well, if you do go and check it out, let the coast guard know so they can find you......  Just because fishing is good there in the summer, doesn't mean it's good in the winter. fish migrate. I've seen that ice in channel go from 6"+ to nothing in 3 days, regardless of the temps. Break wall area is NOT like sturgeon point! As I stated in previous post about this, if it was ever safe at all, people would be fishing it over the years. Just because you see ice somewhere, doesn't mean it's safe!!!
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:34 AM »
I wouldn't go out by the break wall but I have fished on the north side of the elevators off of Galligher Beach. Sometimes you get nice perch in there but as always spud, spud, spud.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Had a heck of a time finding this 6 pages back. Thanks for the info about outside the 2nd wall. Just wondered if anybody ever fished out there before was planning on keeping close to wall. So guessing pretty good current there, and Sturgeon Pt., and Hamburg will be an option very soon anyway.

Some of my friends did good between the first, and 2nd walls north of harbor, but it was like 15 years ago. We used to fish by the big ship south side of the elevators. Never got anything real big, but seemed to do better than the harbor.

8 a.m. 2 huts at harbor, and 1 in ship canal. Ice will be getting a lot thicker supposed to be cold until the superbowl.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I spudded my way out towards the elevators by Southend Marina off of Gallagher beach. I drilled a hole and there was 8" of the hardest, blackest ice I've seen all year. I went out about 100 yds but have no doubt it is good all the way out to the elevators. I was on the north side off the beach.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Is it any deeper out of the beach/around the elevators?

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:58 PM »
It`s been a few years actually since the ship was there. I believe it`s a lot deeper, but don`t think the fishing is drastically better than the harbor. The ship was where the tug boats are now. South side of elevators. Never saw anybody fish between the elevators and the harbor. Old timer on here told me it was just sand, but never investigated.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:07 PM »
I wish you could get between the breaker walls/outside the breaker wall

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Is it any deeper out of the beach/around the elevators?
It is deeper the closer you get to the elevators on the sides as well as in front of them. On all sides the farther you get from the elevators the shallower it is. I have caught some real big perch in open water and thru the ice there. In the summer you get walleyes in front of them.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:34 PM »
So you believe ice is good around the elevators?

Offline iceman1207

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Careful just passed the wall there is a strong current the ice doesn't get very thick there, sometimes I've seen open water in that area even after long cold spells

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.