New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye challenge cancelled.  (Read 6986 times)

Offline pughole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love it when your hands are all fish slime
Re: Walleye challenge cancelled.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Any word on the shore lines We wanted to fish wenensday but keep hearing different story's about the ice conditions. Heard some open water in front of Lanzeys.Any info would be greatly appreciated

Offline SouthernIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:28 AM »
I was out this weekend around the southwest corner of Scout Island and we were drilling 10 to 11 inches on Friday and Saturday. However we also went from about 1 inch of standing water on the ice to 3 over the two days. There was also some open water towards the shore line.

Offline pughole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love it when your hands are all fish slime
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Thanks for the Info SouthernIce. Good luck out there

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:43 PM »
I think I may have a good solution, lets say the sell 500 tickets to just the raffle at $30 for the big prizes That's $15,000 ,then 1500 tickets for fishermen at $40 that's $60,000 both added together is $75.000 Tourney people that are just in the raffle only get that shot, the others that fish split the main pot as well as the big prizes.no one can stop someone from buying a fishing ticket.but why would you buy one knowing your not going to fish. The walleye challenge was originally put out there for there to be a ice fishing derby on the ice,. they do not put that much work into it just to cancel it. In the past it has been a great event. I have been in it since the beginning,and will continue to enter. Maybe a few of you locals can join in the meetings before they hold the event next yr.  move the date?, add people? be part of the solution,not part of the problem. If you like my idea you can buy me a Beer at Lanzy's

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I think I may have a good solution, lets say the sell 500 tickets to just the raffle at $30 for the big prizes That's $15,000 ,then 1500 tickets for fishermen at $40 that's $60,000 both added together is $75.000 Tourney people that are just in the raffle only get that shot, the others that fish split the main pot as well as the big prizes.no one can stop someone from buying a fishing ticket.but why would you buy one knowing your not going to fish. The walleye challenge was originally put out there for there to be a ice fishing derby on the ice,. they do not put that much work into it just to cancel it. In the past it has been a great event. I have been in it since the beginning,and will continue to enter. Maybe a few of you locals can join in the meetings before they hold the event next yr.  move the date?, add people? be part of the solution,not part of the problem. If you like my idea you can buy me a Beer at Lanzy's

Good idea. But I'm not sure where Lanzy's is??? LOL. I'll be at Lanzi's 🍻🍻

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I will be the only guy there in a russian hat we will have a beer

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Anyone got a report of the ice over by lanzis? (cranberry creek, deer island)  I know we are drilling a foot off the broadalbin beach, but was looking to pop a few holes on the lanzis side saturday morning
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Shoreline in front of Lanzis was pretty wet from what I heard from kid at work. His parents live right next to Lanzis and said water out 20-30'

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Shoreline in front of Lanzis was pretty wet from what I heard from kid at work. His parents live right next to Lanzis and said water out 20-30'

Well that doesn't sound too fun lol...Thanks

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:08 PM »
When I fished this tourney and was told that many of the people that buy tickets for the tournament  just wanted a chance at the 3 big grand prizes and the other lesser prizes . They did not care about the hourly fish prizes , and they did not even fish the tourney.... I said " that is great, the more people that paid to get in but did not fish meant there was more of a chance for me to win an hourly $prize"....less people actually fishing means more chance for us that were fishing to win an hourly fish prize.

It should be stated in the rules however, that in case the Walleye Challenge gets cancelled, only those with valid NYS fishing licenses will be eligible for hourly fish prizes at Lanzi's ...so those people that don't even fish or were not going to fish anyway, know that if they don't have a fishing license , they won't be eligible for the hourly prize money.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Simple fix choo choo.  That would be all it takes.

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:36 PM »
When I fished this tourney and was told that many of the people that buy tickets for the tournament  just wanted a chance at the 3 big grand prizes and the other lesser prizes . They did not care about the hourly fish prizes , and they did not even fish the tourney.... I said " that is great, the more people that paid to get in but did not fish meant there was more of a chance for me to win an hourly $prize"....less people actually fishing means more chance for us that were fishing to win an hourly fish prize.

It should be stated in the rules however, that in case the Walleye Challenge gets cancelled, only those with valid fishing licenses will be eligible for hourly fish prizes at Lanzi's ...so those people that don't even fish or were not going to fish anyway, know that if they don't have a fishing license , they won't be eligible for the hourly prize money.

Great idea!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:43 AM »
It seems like an ok plan...see what changes Lou, Beaver , and the Fulton COC come up with...if anything.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Maybe those of you that seem to have all the answers to how the Challenge should be run should start your own contest with YOUR rules. I've been in everyone of the Challenges (never won anything) and think Lou and Beaver along with the support team, have done a great job every year. Let's leave it up to them to fix anything that THEY feel needs to be fixed.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Maybe those of you that seem to have all the answers to how the Challenge should be run should start your own contest with YOUR rules. I've been in everyone of the Challenges (never won anything) and think Lou and Beaver along with the support team, have done a great job every year. Let's leave it up to them to fix anything that THEY feel needs to be fixed.

X2!!!

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:44 AM »

I agree, everyone knows the rules when they enter. If you don't like the rules don't enter, simple fix. It sucks that it has been cancelled again but everyone should just be happy that there is a contest like this with great prizes to participate in. Maybe Sunday after the contest people can organize a protest of the rules in front of the chamber of commerce.  ;D

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:56 AM »
the only complaint we have is that people that have no intention of fishing the contest are now entered into the hourly cash drawings. according to the rules, you need a fishing license to fish and abide by DEC regulations, then you should have to at least have a license to collect in the hourly drawings when the contest is cancelled. like Lou and Beaver had already said. maybe moving it back a few weeks into February will help eliminate this issue. not looking for wholesale changes, just some tweaks. and don't worry I have emailed the chamber with my suggestions....not sure I would wait until Sunday to protest, they are closed then  ;D

Offline ADK Tank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:19 PM »
I understand where you are coming from but for me it's just another thing the many volunteer organizers and helpers have to deal with and check when they already put in a ton of time and deal with all the issues of setting this up and running it. How would they go about doing it anyways? Someone would have to show they have a valid fishing license which would take time, then if they don't draw another name and check that one, which takes time. On top of that I don't think you have to be present to win the money anyways since over 60% of the people come from more than 50 miles away and they try to keep it fair so people don't have to pay the expense of showing up and not winning anything when they can't fish. My guess is the vast majority of the people that enter from this distance away do so to fish in the contest. So if you make everyone be present to win then it's not fair to the out of towners that don't want to pay that expense to make the trip or decide not to take the time off work and save it for when they can fish. It's just too bad for those people then?

I guess my point is you can adjust and change the rules all you want but you will not make everybody happy. It's good contest that has had a lot of work put into it, and other than maybe pushing it back a few weekends leave it alone and hope you feel lucky on Saturday.  :thumbsup:

Offline d36344

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Does anyone know if you have to be at Lanzi's when the raffles are being drawn or can you just swing by later in the day and check the board?

Thanks

Offline d36344

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Just saw a post on the FnF FB page that you only need to be there to win the door prizes and choose one of the big three prizes.  See you all around 3pm.  Be safe.

Offline redshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:41 PM »
You dont need to be present to win one of the grand prizes.  In fact i recall them calling two different winners over the last few years to get their pick of which machine they wanted.  Also, somebody posted earlier about standing next to somebody last year who won $600 and wasnt a fisherman.     Pretty sure they took all the prize money and divided it into equal shares of $250 each and gave it away to 40+ guys.    Loads of misinformation floats around on these sites.  The organizers have done a great job and shouldn't have to manage by exception which is hooefully what we' ve had over the last two years.   

Offline Ghostcheff44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:25 PM »
It sucks an sad cause it's a great time . My suggestion is to write the numbers in black cause last yr u had to be so close just to see then .Lol lol I am definitely entering for many yrs to come . Anyone who has knows it's a blast . .. .

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I also Agree with snelly and monk........But keep smiling and hold our heads high i wont complain...
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:02 AM »
hmmm tank you make a very good point there is a lot of volunteer work that goes into this and its just another thing..i guess i don't really give a hoot i like having a good time whether fishing or having a big party at lanzis.. guess i like everything the way it is. Lou beaver and the CoC do their best and its all we can ask for.
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:41 AM »
it's a good time for sure. everyone does a great job. Lets party and have a good time. I just want to fish

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:51 AM »
Definitely a good time regardless. Plenty of ice on the Broadalbin side, north Hampton and beacon areas. As many have already made plans to attend this event I'm sure there will still be a bunch of groups fishing the morning bite before heading into lanzis just like last year.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Yep fish and party and meet new people. I even get to use the atv for the first time. Doesn't get much better. See you all at Lanzis

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Headed out in the AM for a while then up to Lanzis to hopefully collect.  Good luck to all in the drawing.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:22 PM »
fished friday as well as Saturday, 20+ smallies, 2 walleye, windy snowy.Party was great as usual, see you all next yr.

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:16 AM »
great time. didn't win anything. caught a 40" northern (back down the hole) in the morning great day all in all. can't wait until next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.