Author Topic: Swanson updates on Ice condition, Fish activity, etc.  (Read 1008 times)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
 Please post any updates on Swanson.  A fellow ice fisherman called me today and asked and I didn't have any recent info. for him.  He does read the Shanty though.  Thanks.  Happy trails,  D Hutt

Offline ouray

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Swanson updates on Ice condition, Fish activity, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:03 AM »
was there 1-1-14, 5" or 6" of ice at east end by dam. an area by the spillway entrance seemed to open up more as the day went on. edges must have been open on Tuesday from 1'- 4' out depending on area well maybe 25 yards south of the shore, south of the spillway. flat light, and blowing snow can lead to wet conditions in 3' of water. fish were finicky, and that was the small panfish, didn't see any larger fish. The guy who called you was my brother from Ogallala. He wasn't to the lake yet when I got wet so I called him and told him to go pheasant hunting instead. I wonder how that went.

Offline Vlasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:34 AM »
has anyone tried the west end of this lake? I've had good luck catching perch clear on the west end.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Hi ouray,
Thanks for the report.  Your bro called and I may go with him tomorrow to give it a try.  I hate it when work sometimes conflicts with my recreational activities.  (I definately need to get my priorities in order!)  Call if you want to go try out the bite somewhere sometime.  Happy trails !  :)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:15 PM »
Hi Vlasin,
I haven't been to the west end of Swanson yet.  What worked for you, waxies, minnows, lures or what when you fished the west end for perch?  Happy trails!  :)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Here is some bait info. for Swanson. ;)    I ran into a guy that sells bait, minnows, waxies, etc.  His name is Zach Hodges and his bait shop is the place next to the post office in Trenton, Ne.  His phone is 308-636-6154.  He said that I could spread the word, so there it is.  You may want to give him a call ahead in case he is out and about or on the hardwater trying out some of his bait..... ;D  Happy trails!  :)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Update on 1/3/14: We fished Swanson with wax worms and minnnows and caught white bass, crappie, gills and catfish.  Bite was slow and didn't improve later near sundown.  :(   Ice 5" thick.  Fished in shirt sleeves.  Quite a contrast in the weather campared to Sat. & Sun. where we fished at Maloney.   Also, Zach Hodges has a neat bait and tackle shop next door north of the post office in Trenton, Ne., where we bought some minnows and misc items. Give him a call at 308-636-6154 and he will take care of your needs.  Very accomodating.  Happy trails ! :) 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.