The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: St. Joe County  (Read 6067 times)

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
St. Joe County
« on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Any members on here from the St. Joe county area?  I'm in white pigeon.  Just kinda wondering if anyone knows if any safe ice.  I'm hoping to get on this weekend.  I just haven't had the time to get out and do any driving since when i get home from work its already dark out. 

I know Quail lake is usually an early freezer but i've never caught anything out of there...
What about Lee lake in Sturgis?  This one usually freezes earlier...
How about Sand Lake in Mendon?  I know this is a smaller lake...

I'll go wherever the ice is.  Any report is much appreciated.  Thanks...

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 16 1/4" crappie through 5" hole
Re: St. Joe County
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:18 PM »
I tip toed out on prairie Saturday and caught a couple nice gills. I drove by today and no one has even tried to get on.  I know I could make it back out in the 17' to 20' range and catch more. I might try tomorrow night after work. Tight Lines TR
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2008, 07:07 AM »
O yes...I forgot about prairie...That was the first lake i got on last year...just at that public access...I only caught one fish but it was a nice gill.  Hmm...I'll have to do a drive by on saturday...

Thanks...Let me know if you hear of any safe ice...

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:51 PM »
  Well I made it out tonight. No one else has tried to fish the lake yet, I was on some thin ice about 2" of good ice with about an inch of crap. You would not have wanted anyone within 10 or 15 ft. of you.
I  kept 9 nice gills and my buddy kept 11, we both could have taken our limit if we wanted to keep the smaller ones.
   I would not suggest anyone try that lake unless they are very careful, if we get that heavy snow they are calling for I don't know how long it will be until it is safe. Tight Lines, TR

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Had a guy drive out to Prarie today about 1:00 and he said it wasnt looking good. Seen tracks to the ice but no prints from there. I havent checked Lee, but I will tomorrow. I WILL BE FISHING somewhere, it's killing me. I'll post if I get on anywhere.
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Thanks mich-fish, I'll do some scouting tomorrow and let you know what I find. I am going to check Little Fisher in the morning then probably check Kines Resort channel on Portage Lake.
Tight Lines, TR

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:18 AM »
Drew the short straw this mornin and had to work, so fishing is out for today. Have heard a couple people getting out so Sunday will have to be it. Going to do some checking after I take my daughter Christmas shopping today. Will check on Perrin, Lee and Prarie so I can hit the ice Sunday. Good luck to all and watch for the springs.
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:52 PM »
  My cousin and a couple of buddies made it out yesterday on Prairie Lake, the ice condition was good 6" straight out from the public access. If you ventured any farther out the ice was junk maybe 2 1/2", too much snow. The bite was a little slow, I sorted through a lot of fish and only kept 5, everybody caught a bunch just not a lot of the big slabs.
   I drove by Klinger Lake last night and somebody had a portable out in front of the condos, and it looked like somebody had walked in off of Marathon Rd. I hope to maybe try Friday morning on Klinger if the weather doesn't warm up too much.
Tight Lines, TR

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Can anyone update the county lakes, I drove past Prairie Lake today about 6 guys out there, also seen one guy out on Big Fish Lk. public access side of the lake. Would like to see some info for Klinger Lk. Tight Lines, TR

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
  • @#*% work lets fish!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 11:45 AM »
  I would also like an update on Klinger.I live in White Pigeon. Did pretty good on Klinger last year hoping to do it again this year. Would really appreciate any updates,Ill post any news I hear.

Offline trhunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I made it out on Klinger lake on Sunday, I fished across from the public access. Not the best of luck a few small ones, I was hoping to go out in front of the marina but no one was out there. I seen one guy again out off the condo's I think he is out there jigging for walleye. I plan on going out Tuesday, I'll let you know how I do. Tight Lines TR

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:10 PM »
hit Prarie New Years eve, not much going on. Too much pressure the last couple weeks. Fish have probably moved out of the access cove. Tried Perrin and marked alot but SMALL. Taking half day tomorrow and going to Templene to try and find some.. Good luck to all

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Hey mich fish can ya let me know how ya did at templane ive always wondered about that place just kinda far for me thanks

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:42 AM »
Hows the ice on klinger?  Big lakes scare me and i need a good 5 or 6 before i'd feel safe on klinger...Anyone been out?  how about thompson?

Offline FerrisFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I don't know about Klinger, but everything in Three Rivers is looking good. Pleasant, Harwood, Clear, and Kaiser all have at LEAST 6 inches. We found 10 on some parts of Pleasant.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Thompson- has about 6-7 inches of ice!!! caught about 20 to 30 small perch in 20' of water. gree/yellow jigs were working well..caught a 22'' pike there today also!
Prairie- limited on some nice keeper gills there last weekend. North of the landing. went out today and it was very slow..orange colored jigs were working good.
Klinger- went out on thursday, had about 4'' of hard solid ice.  caught some really small perch right out from the landing.  ANyone know where the big gills are on that lake??
Corey- heard that they were biting pretty decent, had to sort thru them but they were catching some there..gonna try in the morning. 6-7" of ice.. also some guy had a 4-wheeler out on it today!!!

i'll let ya all know what happens out there tomorrow!!! any one know where i can get some BIG pike minnows??
Or where i can trap some minnows???

GOod LUck everyone!!!

schraggy

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:53 PM »
The only place i know that sells big pike minnows (chubs) is lunker's. 

Does anybody go out to Harwood for the rainbows?  I caught a few out there in the summer.  I was thinking of givin it a try. 

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:11 PM »
Thompson- has about 6-7 inches of ice!!! caught about 20 to 30 small perch in 20' of water. gree/yellow jigs were working well..caught a 22'' pike there today also!
Prairie- limited on some nice keeper gills there last weekend. North of the landing. went out today and it was very slow..orange colored jigs were working good.
Klinger- went out on thursday, had about 4'' of hard solid ice.  caught some really small perch right out from the landing.  ANyone know where the big gills are on that lake??
Corey- heard that they were biting pretty decent, had to sort thru them but they were catching some there..gonna try in the morning. 6-7" of ice.. also some guy had a 4-wheeler out on it today!!!

i'll let ya all know what happens out there tomorrow!!! any one know where i can get some BIG pike minnows??
Or where i can trap some minnows???

GOod LUck everyone!!!

schraggy

You can get Pike minnows at Travel Tender in Goshen, IN. Don't know how far that is from you.
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:27 PM »
 Made it out on Klinger this weekend.Didn't do very good though.Between two of us we walked off the ice with 6 very nice gills and one decent spec. The guys we talked to said they slammed em out there last week and weekend then they just shut off this week. We were marking alot of fish just couldnt get them to take anything. We were over by the marina in 15 to 20 ft. of water. Thats were I did pretty good last year. Probably wont get out again until thurs or fri but Im going back out there and give it another shot I know they are there. I caught alot of 12 to 14 in. specs out there last year. Well gtg just thought I would fill u all in on my outing on Klinger.

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:59 AM »
Thats how my weekend went.  Found the fish but i couldnt get em to bite.  Tried everything.  Ended up with just a few.  I was fishing a different lake, but everyone i talked to said it was a tough bite.  Klinger got some pretty good ice? 

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:16 PM »
There was about 5 inches.I think next time I go out there I'm going to try to jig up some eyes.There are some nice walleye in there if u can find them.I got one small one last year but didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Yah, me too...The eyes i have seen caught out of there were good sized.  I dont know if their hard to find or lack of eyes.  Think about how many the dnr plants and how many bass and pike are in their to eat the fingerlings.  How many actually make it to keeper size ya know?  I tried to jig up a few last year at the edge of a big flat and drop off at night and only got largemouths.  Missed a few that coulda been walleye i guess. 

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2009, 11:13 PM »
have you tried out in front of edgewater beach? i heard that some guys have done fairly well out in front of those houses!? but i have never really ice fished for walleyes. my friend and i got some non keepers out in front of there while trolling in the summer time.. maybe thats where they are at in the winter time?

Im headed out to prairie lake tomorrow morning to see if i can get into the gills again!!! where is everyone else gonna be at??

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:21 AM »
Edgewater beach?  Are you talking infront of the apartments?  If so, Yah i tried there twice.  was throwing a jig/minow and eerie deerie with nightcrawler, and had a float with a bas minnnow under it.  Caught about 4 pike with the bass minnow.  i haven't been able to get out there yet...but i'll finally be able to get out this weekend. 

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:35 PM »
 I didnt get out around here this weekend, I went down and fished in a tounament with my brother. We did alright,my brother won first an second in the walleye category, and his freind got third, and I got first bluegill,redear,perch category and my brother got second.My brother cleaned house. Did any of you do any good around here this weekend? Where is edgewater beach from the condos?

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I wasn't able to get out.  AT ALL!  i dont know where it is from the condos...I'm thinking its on the other side of the lake...where all the sand is ofcourse.  haha...idk though..Nice job in the lil tourney this weekend.  that musta been fun. 

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Edgewater beach is right along the north side of the lake.  turn on saunders road and that turns into edgewater!! thats where we would catch walleye in the summer time! does that help?

Went out to prairie lake today i caught 6 nice crappie and 6 decent gills in bout 28 feet of water!!! headed back out there tomorrow!!!

Offline fishfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:34 AM »
 Thanks schragg. I'm planning to fish all weekend not sure where to go yet if anyone has any suggestions would really appreciate it.Everyone I've talked to says the bite is pretty slow eveywhere. I'm sure I'll hit Klinger a couple times. Any news on Lee or Thompson.

Offline schragg307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:04 AM »
I plan on going out to Prairie Lake again!!Either in my shanty or down on the north end! I got 5 crappies out there yesterday morning along w/ 12 8-10" gills! 28' of water!!! black and white jigs w/ red and white spikes. also saw in the bait store some guy caught a 34" pike out of prairie yesterday!

Where is everyone else going?

Offline CEM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Where abouts is Prairie Lake? I was looking on a map is it off of 66.  From South Bend just trying to get an idea if its worth driving out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.